Sig226GuyNJ

Got a Parking Ticket in the mail from a city I've never been to (Hoboken)

So all this being the case, what is to keep some scumbag metermaid from just sitting in her truck and fabricating tickets all day to make a quota?

Why hand-write anything? With all our digital technology they should require a photo of the vehicle and license plate.

Fair point, They should all be carrying smartphones now to record the car's make, color and license plate, as well as the state of the meter or some photograph that demonstrates the parking infraction.

Two years ago a parking ticket came in the mail from Montclair NJ. I called the court clerk and asked to see the picture of the car and license plate as they do take pictures. The picture showed a black 2010 Honda Civic with a license plate 1 digit off. I explained that my son is in college in Hoboken and we do not allow him to have his car up there. I sent a picture of our 2010 Silver Honda Civic and license plate. The clerk said she was sorry when she got my picture in the mail and sent me a letter confirming we did not have to pay the ticket. I still have the letter just in case.

I was advised by an out of state lawyer acuaintance that I should send a letter to the court file, requesting photos of my car, and a sworn affidavit from the ticketing parking authority officer. I will also send along any proof I have that will hopefully get them to drop the bogus charge. Who knows if it'll work but it's worth a shot. Does anyone know if Hoboken Parking Authority takes pictures of the cars they ticket?

Cities do this. Newark did it to me a few times. It was a premeditated plan. They just take DMV records and write thousands and thousands of citations against them. If you fought it they'd just tell you you lose and collect the court fees and parking fees for going to court. It's a criminal scam, not an honest mistake more than likely. 

Newark has done this pretty regularly and has only been punished for it twice that I know of, so it's a money making action. Hoboken and jersey city getting in on the action wouldn't surprise me. 

• Like 1

Were you "ordered" to get new plates or did you choose to do so to avoid future confusion?

Fortunately, I didn't have to deal with the judge at all... just his clerk, but that was enough, It must of been a bad day for her but, at least, she did not "go off" on me. :)

I got new plates on my own. The other person had loads of tickets! All for the same parking spot in lower Mahattan.

I'm sending out my affidavit to them on Monday. I'll report back what they say.

I used to live in Hoboken and fought BS parking tickets. Their meter maids use a handheld device linked to the state system, which means they cannot edit or do a "street void" once issued.

I have a friend who is missing a leg and still got, fought and lost a handicap parking ticket. That court is a money racket.

• Like 1

So what did you finally do or decide to to? I was in Hoboken on Sunday, precisely at the scene of the crime.

Falsely alleged crime. I sent in an affidavit with several exhibits of proof that show I wasn't there, and that it would be physically impossible for me to be there from the time I left my job. I also requested a sworn affidavit from the ticketing officer, swearing that he/she saw my car at the time and location of the alleged infraction. I also requested a picture of my vehicle. I'm not too optimistic, but it's worth a shot.

Falsely alleged crime. I sent in an affidavit with several exhibits of proof that show I wasn't there, and that it would be physically impossible for me to be there from the time I left my job. I also requested a sworn affidavit from the ticketing officer, swearing that he/she saw my car at the time and location of the alleged infraction. I also requested a picture of my vehicle. I'm not too optimistic, but it's worth a shot.

I suspect the answer you get will be a nice "show up in court and show that to get it dismissed" at which point you will ahve coughed up fees and parking of some sort. 

If they were smart, they'd just process the bogo tickets and void them if there's any fight. It'd keep the revenue stream from attracting as much attention. 

Rutgers in NB used to be notorious for this practice.  You would get a lar bill any time you need transcripts post-graduate.  But waiiing on line was worth it to say "show me' at the counter.  They never could and would erase the records on the spot

Congratulations. You did the right thing despite what I and others recommended. And it turned out ok.

We should all remember that tactic -- affidavit from officer and photo of car. Bet that could get a lot of people off.

• Like 1

Congratulations! Now when you are experienced parking_ticket_fighter can you explain how did you came up with sworn affidavit from the officer?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

I requested a sworn affidavit from the ticketing parking authority officer. Here is what I wrote them. I edited out details that can identify me.

City of Hoboken v. XYZ

Prefix: XYZ

Summons No. XYZ

Certified Affidavit of Not Guilty Plea

1. I am the defendant in the above captioned matter and received an Official Legal Notice (Second Notice) ticket for “Improper parking within 25 ft of CR”, at XYZ, Hoboken New Jersey, at 6:26pm on the evening of December 6, 2016. I never received the initial ticket due to a presumed case of mistaken vehicle identity; therefore, the original ticket was placed on a vehicle that does not belong to me. The Official Legal notice which I received was sent to me via the Postal Service.

2. I plead Not Guilty to the offense and request that the court consider this affidavit and attached exhibits. 

3. It is a hardship for me to appear in Court as:

A. I reside at XYZ, NJ. Please reference Exhibit 1A.

B. I work full time, 6 days a week from 9am-6pm at XYZ, and do not have any vacation or sick days available at present. 

C. I am the father of a toddler and have debited my personal days at work in connection with my child. Upon completion of my work day, I have a responsibility to my wife and child that requires me to be home promptly and regularly without interruption to our schedule.

4. I have never traveled to Hoboken, New Jersey. 

5. On the date of the alleged incident, I worked from 9am- 6pm. I left my place of employment at 6 pm and arrived home at 6:26pm. (See exhibit F as digital proof of my workday)

6. After I attended to my child and completed our nightly routine, I fell asleep with my child in my arms. My wife had taken a picture of my son and me at 7:58pm on the evening of the alleged infraction. (See exhibit C, a screenshot of my wife's phone showing me sleeping with my son with a date & time stamp)

7. The ticket indicates that my vehicle was in Hoboken at 6:28 pm. Google Maps provides that the estimated driving time from my place of employment to the location of the alleged infraction is approximately 1 hour and 14 minutes. Subsequently, Google Maps provides that the estimated driving time from the location of the alleged infraction to my home is approximately 1 hour and 15 minutes. It would be physically impossible for me to have left work at 6pm and parked my car in Hoboken at 6:28pm. It is also physically impossible that I drove my car from my place of employment in XYZ, to Hoboken and returned to my home by 7:58pm. (See exhibit C1)

8. No other person had access to my vehicle that day as I am the sole operator of the vehicle and operate it daily to drive to and from my place of employment, as I did on the date of the alleged infraction.

9. Additionally, the ticket identifies a White vehicle. My car is not white, it is black. (See exhibit D, a picture of my black vehicle)

10. Furthermore, I have EZ Pass on my car. On that date, there is no record of any tolls to Hoboken. (See exhibit E, my EZ Pass statement.)

11. My employment requires data entry to the XYZ system which is directly synced with local law enforcement. I have attached a print out of data I entered into this system on the date of the alleged infraction. If any questions arise about the XYZ system, you may contact the XYZ Police Department for explanation. They may be reached at XYZ. (See exhibit F)

12. Each evening, I send a text message to my employers with a summary of the day. On the evening of the alleged infraction, I sent them a text message at 5:58pm. This text summary will match the data entered into the XYZ system as seen in Exhibit F. (See Exhibit G)

13. My best guess as to what happened is that the ticketing officer must have observed a white vehicle of the same make and model as my own, commit a parking infraction. However, the officer must have written down the license plate number incorrectly, which is why my name and address came up as the registered owner. As coincidental as this scenario seems, a quick internet search reveals that this occurrence happens with regularity.

11. I certify that the foregoing statements made by me are true and accurate. I am aware that if any of the above statements are willfully false, I am subject to punishment.

Based upon the foregoing, I would request that ticket#XYZ be dismissed with prejudice and that my appearance be waived. Given the hardship for me to appear in court, I am available to answer any questions via telephone. My cell phone number is: XYZ.

If the court rules that I am still required to attend, I respectfully request the following:

1. A sworn affidavit from the ticketing officer that indicates he/she saw my vehicle committing the alleged infraction.

2. A photo of my vehicle committing the alleged infraction that clearly shows the make, model, and color of the vehicle.

Respectfully submitted,

XYZ

I sent the above letter along with corresponding exhibits of proof that proved all of my claims.

• Like 1

I requested a sworn affidavit from the ticketing parking authority officer. Here is what I wrote them. I edited out details that can identify me.

City of Hoboken v. XYZ

Prefix: XYZ

Summons No. XYZ

Certified Affidavit of Not Guilty Plea

1. I am the defendant in the above captioned matter and received an Official Legal Notice (Second Notice) ticket for “Improper parking within 25 ft of CR”, at XYZ, Hoboken New Jersey, at 6:26pm on the evening of December 6, 2016. I never received the initial ticket due to a presumed case of mistaken vehicle identity; therefore, the original ticket was placed on a vehicle that does not belong to me. The Official Legal notice which I received was sent to me via the Postal Service.

2. I plead Not Guilty to the offense and request that the court consider this affidavit and attached exhibits.

3. It is a hardship for me to appear in Court as:

A. I reside at XYZ, NJ. Please reference Exhibit 1A.

B. I work full time, 6 days a week from 9am-6pm at XYZ, and do not have any vacation or sick days available at present.

C. I am the father of a toddler and have debited my personal days at work in connection with my child. Upon completion of my work day, I have a responsibility to my wife and child that requires me to be home promptly and regularly without interruption to our schedule.

4. I have never traveled to Hoboken, New Jersey.

5. On the date of the alleged incident, I worked from 9am- 6pm. I left my place of employment at 6 pm and arrived home at 6:26pm. (See exhibit F as digital proof of my workday)

6. After I attended to my child and completed our nightly routine, I fell asleep with my child in my arms. My wife had taken a picture of my son and me at 7:58pm on the evening of the alleged infraction. (See exhibit C, a screenshot of my wife's phone showing me sleeping with my son with a date & time stamp)

7. The ticket indicates that my vehicle was in Hoboken at 6:28 pm. Google Maps provides that the estimated driving time from my place of employment to the location of the alleged infraction is approximately 1 hour and 14 minutes. Subsequently, Google Maps provides that the estimated driving time from the location of the alleged infraction to my home is approximately 1 hour and 15 minutes. It would be physically impossible for me to have left work at 6pm and parked my car in Hoboken at 6:28pm. It is also physically impossible that I drove my car from my place of employment in XYZ, to Hoboken and returned to my home by 7:58pm. (See exhibit C1)

8. No other person had access to my vehicle that day as I am the sole operator of the vehicle and operate it daily to drive to and from my place of employment, as I did on the date of the alleged infraction.

9. Additionally, the ticket identifies a White vehicle. My car is not white, it is black. (See exhibit D, a picture of my black vehicle)

10. Furthermore, I have EZ Pass on my car. On that date, there is no record of any tolls to Hoboken. (See exhibit E, my EZ Pass statement.)

11. My employment requires data entry to the XYZ system which is directly synced with local law enforcement. I have attached a print out of data I entered into this system on the date of the alleged infraction. If any questions arise about the XYZ system, you may contact the XYZ Police Department for explanation. They may be reached at XYZ. (See exhibit F)

12. Each evening, I send a text message to my employers with a summary of the day. On the evening of the alleged infraction, I sent them a text message at 5:58pm. This text summary will match the data entered into the XYZ system as seen in Exhibit F. (See Exhibit G)

13. My best guess as to what happened is that the ticketing officer must have observed a white vehicle of the same make and model as my own, commit a parking infraction. However, the officer must have written down the license plate number incorrectly, which is why my name and address came up as the registered owner. As coincidental as this scenario seems, a quick internet search reveals that this occurrence happens with regularity.

11. I certify that the foregoing statements made by me are true and accurate. I am aware that if any of the above statements are willfully false, I am subject to punishment.

Based upon the foregoing, I would request that ticket#XYZ be dismissed with prejudice and that my appearance be waived. Given the hardship for me to appear in court, I am available to answer any questions via telephone. My cell phone number is: XYZ.

If the court rules that I am still required to attend, I respectfully request the following:

1. A sworn affidavit from the ticketing officer that indicates he/she saw my vehicle committing the alleged infraction.

2. A photo of my vehicle committing the alleged infraction that clearly shows the make, model, and color of the vehicle.

Respectfully submitted,

XYZ

I sent the above letter along with corresponding exhibits of proof that proved all of my claims.

Wow, that's an excellent example of defense against injustice, thank you.