Twospot

Questions on M&P 9

So I got a couple of P2P's yesterday. I am pretty sure I know what I am buying. I haven't shot in a few years and had a Glock 19. I ended up selling it. So one permit is going towards getting another because I miss it. The other permit I think I want to buy an M&P 9. I have read tons of great things on this firearm but there are multiple versions and I can't seem to find a good comparison on the differences. I would consider myself between novice and intermediate. These will be used for home defense, range, and I may push myself outside of my comfort zone and try out some competition. I am definitely not close to being good for competition, but I hope that will help me get better.

So here are my questions on the M&P:

1. Should I go ported or not ported? In my research it just seems the porting reduces recoil. Any other pros or cons?

2. Is it worth the extra coin for the Pro or better to buy the base and switch out the trigger and optics?

3. 5" or 4.25"? I am leaning towards the 5" for the longer sight radius and less flip.

4. The C.O.R.E version is slotted for certain sights. Is this worth getting?

Thanks in advance for your opinions and help!

1. IMHO, the ported is not worth the extra coin. The M&P9 is already a very soft shooter. Spend the extra cash on ammo is my advice.

2. This depends. If you want a 5 inch, you'll have to get the Pro unless you can find a used 9L, which I near is near impossible to find. I still did trigger upgrades to my 9Pro.

3. If you're planning on using it for range time, HD, and possible competition, I would get the 5 inch as the added sight radius really is a nice little advantage.

4. It depends if you want to add optics or not.

PS. There is a M&P M2.0 out now. It might be worth checking out.

Right now you are in a strange boat because the M&P lineup is being revamped with the 2.0 version being released. Not all the old configs are yet available in the new format, and while the old models are probably still in the retail channels I would advise going for the new models. 

The following answers to your questions assume the older models are being one for one supported in the new config, which is not yet true. For example there is not CORE yet in the 2.0 configuration, but lets assume they will have it soon. 

1) non-ported unless you really know why you want ported. 

2) The new 2.0 guns have an improved trigger which was the only real reason to get the Pro before. Sights are replaceable whenever you want so unless the new PRO (which doesn't yet exist) is somehow awesome I would say go stock. 

3) You probably can't carry in NJ so go for the 5" model. 

4) If you want to spend lots of money on slide mounted optics, sure go for it. For me that is irrelevant so I wouldn't bother. 

• Like 1

1. IMHO, the ported is not worth the extra coin. The M&P9 is already a very soft shooter. Spend the extra cash on ammo is my advice.

2. This depends. If you want a 5 inch, you'll have to get the Pro unless you can find a used 9L, which I near is near impossible to find. I still did trigger upgrades to my 9Pro.

3. If you're planning on using it for range time, HD, and possible competition, I would get the 5 inch as the added sight radius really is a nice little advantage.

4. It depends if you want to add optics or not.

PS. There is a M&P M2.0 out now. It might be worth checking out.

I like to be on the bleeding edge so I will most definitely check into this. Thank you for your help!

Right now you are in a strange boat because the M&P lineup is being revamped with the 2.0 version being released. Not all the old configs are yet available in the new format, and while the old models are probably still in the retail channels I would advise going for the new models. 

The following answers to your questions assume the older models are being one for one supported in the new config, which is not yet true. For example there is not CORE yet in the 2.0 configuration, but lets assume they will have it soon. 

1) non-ported unless you really know why you want ported. 

2) The new 2.0 guns have an improved trigger which was the only real reason to get the Pro before. Sights are replaceable whenever you want so unless the new PRO (which doesn't yet exist) is somehow awesome I would say go stock. 

3) You probably can't carry in NJ so go for the 5" model. 

4) If you want to spend lots of money on slide mounted optics, sure go for it. For me that is irrelevant so I wouldn't bother. 

Thanks for your input. I think I will definitely look into the 2.0. I'm watching some reviews on it now and it sounds like they made some improvements on something that was already pretty great.

I have the M&P9 (V1). I changed the sights out for the TruGlo TFX's and Did the full apex trigger Duty/Carry AEK.

With those updates, I like the pistol very much.

As others have said, the biggest downfall in my opinion of the M&P is the stock trigger, But the "M2.0" said they improved it?  You would have to go hold it and try it out for yourself to see if you would still want to replace it.

Also the new model has much improved stippling on the grip, which would also help the shootablitly.

1. Should I go ported or not ported? In my research it just seems the porting reduces recoil. Any other pros or cons?

2. Is it worth the extra coin for the Pro or better to buy the base and switch out the trigger and optics?

3. 5" or 4.25"? I am leaning towards the 5" for the longer sight radius and less flip.

4. The C.O.R.E version is slotted for certain sights. Is this worth getting?

1. Is the porting cool? Yes, does it help with muzzle flip, Yes... Necessary... ehhhh.  I might get flamed for saying this, but I actually like cleaning my guns and I like them clean.  Cleaning those ports would drive me crazy.

2.I have heard people usually change out the trigger on the Pro's to the APEX anyway (Only the performance center models comes from factory with apex)

3. I actually want a 5" and was looking at the PRO (Only way you can get the 5"), but now with the 2.0 you can get it.  I think for range and better shootability and HD... 5"

4. Unless you plan on putting an optic on it ($$$$) then I don't think it's worth it.  Again, looks very cool with an optic, but not practical IMO.

I have the M&P9 (V1). I changed the sights out for the TruGlo TFX's and Did the full apex trigger Duty/Carry AEK.

With those updates, I like the pistol very much.

As others have said, the biggest downfall in my opinion of the M&P is the stock trigger, But the "M2.0" said they improved it?  You would have to go hold it and try it out for yourself to see if you would still want to replace it.

Also the new model has much improved stippling on the grip, which would also help the shootablitly.

1. Is the porting cool? Yes, does it help with muzzle flip, Yes... Necessary... ehhhh.  I might get flamed for saying this, but I actually like cleaning my guns and I like them clean.  Cleaning those ports would drive me crazy.

2.I have heard people usually change out the trigger on the Pro's to the APEX anyway (Only the performance center models comes from factory with apex)

3. I actually want a 5" and was looking at the PRO (Only way you can get the 5"), but now with the 2.0 you can get it.  I think for range and better shootability and HD... 5"

4. Unless you plan on putting an optic on it ($$$$) then I don't think it's worth it.  Again, looks very cool with an optic, but not practical IMO.

Thanks for your input. I am definitely going to go with the M2.0. I'm sure I could meet up with one of you stellar gents to try out your 1.0 with the Apex. If it seems better I can always get an Apex kit for the 2.0 when it's available. Thanks again!

I have a M&P CORE set up for both 9 and 40 for sale in the marketplace.  It looks like you are right next to me, if you want to meet up at the range and try it out let me know.

Thank you very much for the offer. I ended up buying an all gray Glock 19 at Garden State. Tony was super nice. He told me NICS is running at least an hour and half so I came home. Just waiting for the call. Once I get it I'll post pics.I figure by the time I have the funds to cash in my second permit the M2.0's will be more readily available.

• Like 1

Thanks for your input. I am definitely going to go with the M2.0. I'm sure I could meet up with one of you stellar gents to try out your 1.0 with the Apex. If it seems better I can always get an Apex kit for the 2.0 when it's available. Thanks again!

Thank you very much for the offer. I ended up buying an all gray Glock 19 at Garden State. Tony was super nice. He told me NICS is running at least an hour and half so I came home. Just waiting for the call. Once I get it I'll post pics.I figure by the time I have the funds to cash in my second permit the M2.0's will be more readily available.

Definite doesn't always mean final.

:laugh:

Tony is the best glad you got it from GSSC

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Definite doesn't always mean final.

:laugh:

I was wondering when you would jump in! I haven't been on the forums for a few years but I remember you for sure! However you were in NJ. I guess you voted with your feet and headed to AZ.

It is true that definite doesn't always mean final. It would if I only had the one permit. I have another permit sitting here YAY! It is still definite. Just now it won't be definite for at least 31 days LOL.

Did you find a 2.0 with a 5" barrel?

Did you find a 2.0 with a 5" barrel?

Well I bought the Glock above, but at that time Monmouth Arms had one coming in and they were pinning the 17 round mags. Officially today I am over 30 days so I can buy another handgun. I went shooting at GSSC on Saturday and I asked about them there. They said they should be getting them soon and they know others have them. He told me the ones coming in will actually have 15 round mags rather then having to pin 17 round mags. I don't know how true, but that's what he told me. I was at the Oaks gun show this weekend and saw quite a few, so they're out there. I'll have my eye out as well. I'll PM you if I come across any in my search.

Well I bought the Glock above, but at that time Monmouth Arms had one coming in and they were pinning the 17 round mags. Officially today I am over 30 days so I can buy another handgun. I went shooting at GSSC on Saturday and I asked about them there. They said they should be getting them soon and they know others have them. He told me the ones coming in will actually have 15 round mags rather then having to pin 17 round mags. I don't know how true, but that's what he told me. I was at the Oaks gun show this weekend and saw quite a few, so they're out there. I'll have my eye out as well. I'll PM you if I come across any in my search.

I'm in a similar boat as you. Trying to decide which M&P to get. It will be for IDPA and possibly USPSA. I want 5" so core made the most sense since I want to be in ESP class. Can't decide if it's worth the extra coin, though. I didn't see the 2.0 in 5" on the S&W site.

I'm in a similar boat as you. Trying to decide which M&P to get. It will be for IDPA and possibly USPSA. I want 5" so core made the most sense since I want to be in ESP class. Can't decide if it's worth the extra coin, though. I didn't see the 2.0 in 5" on the S&W site.

Yes it's there. It only comes in FDE right now: http://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/mp-9-m20