Lambo2936

Looking to modify an AR but clueless; help?

Found a pretty good deal on an AR @ NJ hunter. Its a custom build with a 20" barrel and such. I was thinking of replacing the barrel with a 14.5 (pinned to 16 and change) inch barrel but have no idea what else would need to be done as far as gas systems and crap go. Can anyone chime in and point me in the right direction? Was looking into a build from scratch but the receivers alone would cost half of what i paid for this rifle, so i figure this way even if i strip it, the parts are worth something. Its basically an ambi setup so id like to save that, for sure. Also, whats a good 14.5" barrel?

Going to be a cq paper shooter.. probably out to 50 or 100yds with an eo/magnifier setup, i think.

Thanks for the help! Ill eventually do a complete high end build but for now i figure ill start with this and then start collecting parts for the next one.

Changing the barrel will require a barrel nut wrench, and an upper receiver vice block.  Changing to a 14.5" barrel, pinned to greater than 16" will require a muzzle brake to be mounted and pinned. The new barrel config may require the handguard to be changed, depends on its present config.  The gas system will change, the barrel chosen will have a carbine or midlength gas system (your choice) and the proper gas tube will need to be sourced.  Also have to consider what gas block is required. That depends on the barrel and which handguard you want to use.  So, new barrel, new muzzle brake,new gas tube, new gas block, new handguard, and a barrel nut wrench and vice block.  How it looks depends on you and your pocketbook.  What barrel to chose depends again on your budget.  Don't forget to consider the barrel profile in your decision. I would try for a midlength gas system if possible.  Faxon builds some nice barrels.

A little bit of a project for a Noob, but can be done.  I would figure out what you want the final result to look like, what you want to spend and work back from there.  Big items are barrel, muzzle brake and handguard. Everything else falls into place from there.

SO.............

Choose barrel, prefer mid length gas 14.5" and what profile

Choose muzzle brake.  Assembled length greater than 16"? Good.

Choose handguard.  Uses standard or own barrel nut?

Get proper gas tube.

Get proper gas block.  Fits barrel profile? Fits under handguard?

Mount barrel with barrel nut and lube threads with proper grease. Tighten to specs and proper alignment for gas tube.

Mount new gas block and gas tube.

Install new hanguard.

Install new muzzle brake, get it pinned to avoid SBR violations. ASAP

Test fire.

Choose muzzle brake.  Assembled length greater than 16"? Good.

Choose handguard.  Uses standard or own barrel nut?

Get proper gas tube.

Get proper gas block.  Fits barrel profile? Fits under handguard?

At this point you might as well spend the money on an upper receiver and have 2 guns in one , until the time comes that you decide you don't want to swap uppers and build yourself another lower

• Like 2

Choose muzzle brake. Assembled length greater than 16"? Good.

Choose handguard. Uses standard or own barrel nut?

Get proper gas tube.

Get proper gas block. Fits barrel profile? Fits under handguard?

At this point you might as well spend the money on an upper receiver and have 2 guns in one , until the time comes that you decide you don't want to swap uppers and build yourself another lower

Might just go for a whole new build, really,haha. Seems like basically the whole upper will be new.

Im aware of the sbr rules and pinning to 16".

Not a millionaire but dont mind spending a bit of $$. I may just build one from scratch my way, though, while im at it and just set this rifle up the way id like it. Hmmm..

I'm assuming you're semi-close to me (Southampton Twp) as I also go to R14. If you need, I have a barrel nut wrench you can borrow if you don't want to spend the $20 on a new one. Have also built many an upper if you try and decide you need assistance, but it's really not that hard.

As mentioned, the onlytools you need are the AR armorers tool/nut wrench, some punches and needlenose pliers.  The fsb pins are punched out from left to right.

HE suggested to get another upper and I agree.  Since you are shooting no more than 100yds, and cq/Hd stuff, I would just buy an economical upper with a chrome lined barrel.  Maybe spent a little more on a better bolt/bcg.  No need to spend $700 on a Bravo upper.  Also, no need for a higher end barrel, as you are not shooting tiny groups.

http://www.primaryarms.com/troy-industries-16-stainless-melonited-5-56-upper-w-13-m-lok-rail-flip-sights-supg-5mf-16bt-00ss

This is the best value I have seen on an upper. I wouldn't say the quality is equal to BCM or other Tier 1 manufacturers out there (Noveske, LMT, Knights, etc...) but for the money, this is a hell of a lot of features and decent quality. If you built this rifle from parts, it would cost well over $1000. All you need to do is get a NJ legal muzzle device.

I suggest this upper to anyone looking for a decent upper at an excellent price.

Here you go, this barrel is already pinned and the break is the same size as the barrel. You'll be able to slide the gas block right over it without any issues. 

Also, I have tools if you need any help.

Faxon Firearms AR-15 5.56 NATO 14.5" GUNNER Mid-Length 4150 QPQ PINNED BRAKE - 16"

https://www.rainierarms.com/faxon-firearms-ar-15-5-56-nato-14-5-gunner-mid-length-4150-qpq-pinned-brake-16?trk_msg=MJ4B7EJAHQBKJ2645KO6R92DTG&trk_contact=DB4EGD6NV0UVVG1TUIGEGCQAMO&utm_source=Listrak&utm_medium=Email&utm_term=Faxon+Firearms+AR-15+5.56+NATO+14.5%26quot%3b+GUNNER+Mid-Length+4150+QPQ+PINNED+BRAKE+-+16%26quot%3b&utm_campaign=New+Products+at+Rainier+Arms!+

Here you go, this barrel is already pinned and the break is the same size as the barrel. You'll be able to slide the gas block right over it without any issues.

Also, I have tools if you need any help.

Faxon Firearms AR-15 5.56 NATO 14.5" GUNNER Mid-Length 4150 QPQ PINNED BRAKE - 16"

https://www.rainierarms.com/faxon-firearms-ar-15-5-56-nato-14-5-gunner-mid-length-4150-qpq-pinned-brake-16?trk_msg=MJ4B7EJAHQBKJ2645KO6R92DTG&trk_contact=DB4EGD6NV0UVVG1TUIGEGCQAMO&utm_source=Listrak&utm_medium=Email&utm_term=Faxon+Firearms+AR-15+5.56+NATO+14.5%26quot%3b+GUNNER+Mid-Length+4150+QPQ+PINNED+BRAKE+-+16%26quot%3b&utm_campaign=New+Products+at+Rainier+Arms!+

Would that still need to get welded?

Check out sons of liberty gun works. They have stuff for all different budgets. Options for in depthcustomization suchas as vltor buffers, any muzzle break you want and loads of different triggers. Also Cerakoting, laser engraving, plus a lifetime warranty.