Howard

Cutting the cable Bill - help needed

I am fed up with the CABLE BILL and am looking for other options for the crazy fee they charge for TV packages where I have to up subscribe just to get one station. Unfortunately an OTA antenna won't work at my location. I have looked at SlingTV, DirectTV Now, and am going to take a look at PS VUE. Anyone try any of these or others - what is the good or bad about them?

I signed up for three months of DirectTV now for $35/mo mostly to get a "free" $149 AppleTV 4th Generation.  Also signed up for a month for SlingTV for $25 to get a RokU. I'll probably drop both of them once the initial terms are up.  It sounds like PS VUE might be the best option right now or maybe Hulu Live when it comes in the fall.  Thinking of going with Ooma to replace the cable companies VoIP service and just stick with them for Internet.  All opinions and ideas welcomed.

The problem is you need a paradigm shift in your thinking. If you want to be spoon fed your entertainment, you will not be saving any money (i.e.- streaming). When I moved, I took the plunge and after 3 months it's great. I pay just under $45 per month (including taxes) for internet, phone, Hulu. Huge savings down from $190 with full cable. But it's a change, I am in charge of finding what I want to watch and when. Totally awesome!!

• Like 1

The problem is you need a paradigm shift in your thinking. If you want to be spoon fed your entertainment, you will not be saving any money (i.e.- streaming). When I moved, I took the plunge and after 3 months it's great. I pay just under $45 per month (including taxes) for internet, phone, Hulu. Huge savings down from $290 with full cable. But it's a change, I am in charge of finding what I want to watch and when. Totally awesome!!

How do you pay that little for Internet, phone AND Hulu.  Just my internet is more than that.

How do you pay that little for Internet, phone AND Hulu. Just my internet is more than that.

Comcast Internet is $35, Ooma is $3, and Hulu is $7.

Comcast competes with ATT fiber and verizon in my area, so I keep renewing at promotional rates, plus I have the lower tier, plenty to run multiple streams, pc, phone, and cells.

Get optimum internet, you will also get the local channels through the cable.

I also subscribe to amazon prime and netflix.

I use a HTPC with 5 tuners to record the OTA TV.

When I had cable I used a 4 tuner with cable card to record, wasn't going to pay to rent a box.

If you don't mind contracts, keep changing providers every 2 years, The new subscriber deals are pretty good.

Sling wasn't very good I had it before you suggested DIRECTV now. In my short experience DIRECTV now is way better. More channels less price and you can log into the apps for each provider, HBO, CNN, etc with the directv now credentials--not the CSS with sling. I watch NFL and no package for that in sling. I can get red zone, NFL net work and season ticket on directv now.

In NJ I have optimum internet and voip phone. It's cheaper with the phone than without. In FL I get cable and internet with my HOA but will continues with directv now if it's good for 35 bucks / month. I do have Hulu and Netflix because of my kids. I will ooma for phone in FL.

Sling wasn't very good I had it before you suggested DIRECTV now. In my short experience DIRECTV now is way better. More channels less price and you can log into the apps for each provider, HBO, CNN, etc with the directv now credentials--not the CSS with sling. I watch NFL and no package for that in sling. I can get red zone, NFL net work and season ticket on directv now.

In NJ I have optimum internet and voip phone. It's cheaper with the phone than without. In FL I get cable and internet with my HOA but will continues with directv now if it's good for 35 bucks / month. I do have Hulu and Netflix because of my kids. I will ooma for phone in FL.

We have a similar setup with my HOA in FL.  But I don't use the HOA provided Cable service, as I prefer Verizon FiOS (Now "Frontier" FiOS here).   I have 150/150 as well. But it's actually more expensive than the TV package. Probably to minimize the loss if we were to "cut the cord" and go with streaming devices. I'd want to keep the very "basic" FiOS TV package, because if I dumped it altogether, I think i'd lose a subsidy on the Internet side.

It just sucks that we can't do our own "A La Carte" channel group, but I think it wouldn't matter, because they'd charge enough for that such to make it revenue neutral.  They aren't about to lose any more money than they have to.  And they're losing a ton as it is...

I guess you're in a valley or behind a mountain. If you weren't, this is a very good antenna. Have one in the attic. Only issue is Ch 7. I think I need a Yagi antenna for that.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C4XVOOC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Bought a bunch of coax and a splitter/amp. Disco from cable feed. Insert antenna feed.

As for a gadget, we use Roku. Everything is available through it...as far as I can tell.

Amazon

HBO Go .... Assuming someone let you use their account

Sling

Netflix

Yada yada yada...

Some people told me Sling will help with things like HGTV for those addicted to that stuff. I haven't tried it though. Those little Mohu leaf antennas are not what you want, unless you live in Queens or Jersey City.

We have a similar setup with my HOA in FL.  But I don't use the HOA provided Cable service, as I prefer Verizon FiOS (Now "Frontier" FiOS here).   I have 150/150 as well. But it's actually more expensive than the TV package. Probably to minimize the loss if we were to "cut the cord" and go with streaming devices. I'd want to keep the very "basic" FiOS TV package, because if I dumped it altogether, I think i'd lose a subsidy on the Internet side.

It just sucks that we can't do our own "A La Carte" channel group, but I think it wouldn't matter, because they'd charge enough for that such to make it revenue neutral.  They aren't about to lose any more money than they have to.  And they're losing a ton as it is...

ATT just ran their Gigaverse in our development and I'll use that when I am there full time.  They will let you stream direct tv over Gigaverse so I won't  need the equipment and it's a bit better than DirecTVNOW.  It's under $100 / month for Gigabit.  The HOA is trying to break the contract with the provider (small local) because they suck and then offer it to ATT or Comcast.  If that happens I'll get some value out of that.  You know service is bad when you're paying for it and most folks still don't use it. 

Firestick. When I figure out how to get live local NY channels I'm cancelling my tv package from optimum.

Try a Muhu leaf or other antenna services.  There is one that works on a box that gets the over the air broadcast via IP and then converts to TV with DVR capabilities.  If you google around getting OTA stations in HD is easy and inexpensive.  

Try a Muhu leaf or other antenna services. There is one that works on a box that gets the over the air broadcast via IP and then converts to TV with DVR capabilities. If you google around getting OTA stations in HD is easy and inexpensive.

MuHu is one of the best, but if you have a mountain between you and the transmitter it won't work and you won't get OTA

The problem is you need a paradigm shift in your thinking. If you want to be spoon fed your entertainment, you will not be saving any money (i.e.- streaming). When I moved, I took the plunge and after 3 months it's great. I pay just under $45 per month (including taxes) for internet, phone, Hulu. Huge savings down from $290 with full cable. But it's a change, I am in charge of finding what I want to watch and when. Totally awesome!!

Firesticks and kodi

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Can you still get outdoor and sportsman channel?

I pay $23/month for my comcast TV. it's the most basic package they offer, and I just use it for the prime time and news (and PBS for the kid.)

Most other things I source from download locations. Alternatively a subscription to any of the usual sources will get you the rest of stuff you might want.

My internet is expensive though ($140/month,) since I have a business and use a business class connection.

I pay $23/month for my comcast TV. it's the most basic package they offer, and I just use it for the prime time and news (and PBS for the kid.)

Most other things I source from download locations. Alternatively a subscription to any of the usual sources will get you the rest of stuff you might want.

My internet is expensive though ($140/month,) since I have a business and use a business class connection.

If you have business connection though Comcast it is slower than Residential Fios. If you need the speed and can switch to Fios do it today. You will be happier. I'm also guessing the TV package is a business package? I had a similar tv package at my office that was $18/month, but no one ever had time to watch it so I dropped it.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Try installing Kodi on a PC first before going for a Firestick/Kodi. linked is a video on step by step directions on how to install it on PC. I been using kodi for well over a year and love it. I have the triple play package for $85 a month and able to see all my TV shows without commercials.   

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEfpumxs70E

The problem is you need a paradigm shift in your thinking. If you want to be spoon fed your entertainment, you will not be saving any money (i.e.- streaming). When I moved, I took the plunge and after 3 months it's great. I pay just under $45 per month (including taxes) for internet, phone, Hulu. Huge savings down from $190 with full cable. But it's a change, I am in charge of finding what I want to watch and when. Totally awesome!!

This is the reason for my wife's Reluctance. We can get good antenna reception. It's the dvr and her specific shows that everyone chats about the next day at work.

ATT just ran their Gigaverse in our development and I'll use that when I am there full time.  They will let you stream direct tv over Gigaverse so I won't  need the equipment and it's a bit better than DirecTVNOW.  It's under $100 / month for Gigabit.  The HOA is trying to break the contract with the provider (small local) because they suck and then offer it to ATT or Comcast.  If that happens I'll get some value out of that.  You know service is bad when you're paying for it and most folks still don't use it. 

Our HOA has to be very careful, because the contract with the Cable Co. is up for renewal this year. We were advised by the "developer reps" on the HOA board (who are now relinquishing their positions to actual residents) that we should hire a good "TV" lawyer to supervise those negotiations, lest we really get screwed for the next 10 years. I hope they do lawyer up for that.