Howard

Cutting the cable Bill - help needed

Curious...how do you cord cutters watch live tv or sports? That's the one thing preventing me from cutting the cord.

http://antennaweb.org

This is my plan.

The antenna you buy at Amazon or Best Buy all have colored codes.

Punch in your zip to the link to see what channels you'll get.

The antenna I plan on getting is multi colored ( code)

Just have to convince wife

The problem is you need a paradigm shift in your thinking. If you want to be spoon fed your entertainment, you will not be saving any money (i.e.- streaming). When I moved, I took the plunge and after 3 months it's great. I pay just under $45 per month (including taxes) for internet, phone, Hulu. Huge savings down from $190 with full cable. But it's a change, I am in charge of finding what I want to watch and when. Totally awesome!!

Yeah I struggle to train my wife.  The funny part is she doesn't want to search because she turns on the TV, goes through the guide, picks something and then proceeds to ignore it and read on her iPad or Kindle.  It's white noise to her but I can't get her to think about what she wants, it really does come down to retraining.  That's why the cheap DirecTV NOW subscription kind of works.  It ha a guide and I can access the streaming and it's only 35 bucks / month for over 100 channels.  

Curious...how do you cord cutters watch live tv or sports? That's the one thing preventing me from cutting the cord.

NFL is the toughest.  You can buy NFL sunday ticket from dish and connect a PC to your TV to watch.  Other major sports support streaming apps.  

http://antennaweb.org

This is my plan.

The antenna you buy at Amazon or Best Buy all have colored codes.

Punch in your zip to the link to see what channels you'll get.

The antenna I plan on getting is multi colored ( code)

Just have to convince wife

and if you want DVR with no fees....https://www.tablotv.com

There's a provider on kodi who does live sports & tv. I don't know how many channels and what not, but my cousin has it and has cut off everything except internet for his house because the provider on kodi supplies it all. No more redzone packages, nhl/mlb/nba/ufc packages.

$72 / six months.

If you pay in bitcoin it's $60 / six months 

-  All you need is Kodi. My parents just cut their tv subscription saving them $100 a month literally. Bill went from 185 to 85. All they do is stream stuff now from Kodi. Netflix isn't even needed anymore for them. Times are a changin.

• Like 1

What's the quality of some of these things on Kodi? I've seen mixed especially on broadcast stuff like sports where it's pirated.

A majority of the stuff on kodi is 1080p. The only stuff I can't find in 1080p is newly released movies that are still in theaters.. obv since their still in theaters lol. You will have to pay for 4k subscriptions as providers don't give that out for free. Even the sports package that I mentioned in my previous post is full 1080p, just like watching it straight from optimum/dish/verizon w/e.

I just got a free ROKU for signing up for a one month of SLINGTV.  Not very impressed with SlingTV, and was kind of pissed that you can't put Kodi on this stick.  But in doing some research I learned that you can add what are know as private channels on Roku which have just about everything for free that you can imagine both live and streaming.  

I have kodi and love it, have yet to try to see if I get sports. I'm buying a house (closing on 31st) and going be having kodi and will also try out this MuHu leaf antenna. There's no mountain in franklinville so I should be good with that lol.

This may be obvious, but good portion of streaming on Kodi is pirated and illegal. The plugins and hosting places are constantly shutdown. And there is remote chance someone is monitoring these downloads and may come after end users. 

Having said that, there are deals out there depending on what you want.  My FIOS triple play bill is $87 including equipment & taxes. That includes $10 "Verizon Connections" credit from my company. So check if your company is part of Verizon Connections.  

Just internet would cost me about $70 including taxes. So additional $20 for both TV and Phone is not bad. 

I do switch between FIOS and Optimum every 2 years. I dont care who provides the service as long as they can keep bill under $100. So far FIOS has been extending promotions for me, meeting that goal. 

jail break

You can install Kodi onto your fire stick/box right outta the box. There's no "hacking skills" needed. I don't know if you've done jailbreaks on iPhones, but assuming you have, it's much like Cydia. You add the source which will install the repo, and then you can add whatever app that the repo has. I only use one repo on kodi which is Exodus. Biggest movie/tv show repo out there. Like I stated before, my cousin also uses the Smoothstreams repo which provides all sports channels, live.

• Like 1

So I want to cut my cable bill especially because I don't watch that much TV. When I do its mainly AMC, Discovery, History, animal planet, and Natgeo. Wife watches MTV, bravo and TLC. Grandma watches ABC. Wife and I don't care about live TV it would work out better if were all on demand. What would you guys suggest for us? However it would probably kill grandma if she could not watch jeopardy and wheel of Fortune live so do I get one of those antennas? Please take the tech talk easy I'm very behind in the times for my age and only understood 3/4 of this thread. Lol. I pay 185 a month for Comcast phone, cable and Internet.

So I want to cut my cable bill especially because I don't watch that much TV. When I do its mainly AMC, Discovery, History, animal planet, and Natgeo. Wife watches MTV, bravo and TLC. Grandma watches ABC. Wife and I don't care about live TV it would work out better if were all on demand. What would you guys suggest for us? However it would probably kill grandma if she could not watch jeopardy and wheel of Fortune live so do I get one of those antennas? Please take the tech talk easy I'm very behind in the times for my age and only understood 3/4 of this thread. Lol. I pay 185 a month for Comcast phone, cable and Internet.

Do you have Fios in the area? You can either switch or use the competition to negotiate with Comcast.

Hulu, and a junky $2 antenna can probably get you Wheel. I went to a taping of Wheel about 5 years back. Very disappointing experience. They gave us some junky leftover t-shirts, were not very friendly, and had the forced clap signs. All the banter is fake. It was much more fun at the taping for warner brothers and Disney shows. They fed us, entertained us, and the shows were naturally funny.

With the money you would save from dropping cable, fly your grandma out LA to see a taping, then she won't watch it anymore. You would break even in about 6 months

$185 and no sports channels ? Thats day time robbery, but I guess they get away because there is no competition. 

1. Do bit of research online and see whats their (cable company) lowest package is.

2. Then see what they charge just for Internet. Without any competition, I would not be surprised if Cable guys charge an arm & leg just for Internet too. You need decent speed internet (better that DSL)

3. Once you figure if you can get just Internet access for decent price, you go buy this "Amazon Firestick" that can be plugged into back of your TV (HDMI). It comes with software and a remote

4. You can install additional software called "Kodi" onto that Firestick. 

5. You can then install additional "modules" onto that Kodi software. Those modules lets you watch youtube etc

6. Some of those modules lets you watch movies, shows etc. As unpaid / free software modules, the legality of these modules is questionable and may be shutdown unexpectedly. But then someone else figures out and develops another module to get stuff for free :-)

7. You also need to figure out the phone situation - get Ooma or other internet phones 

Hope that helps. 

This may be obvious, but good portion of streaming on Kodi is pirated and illegal. The plugins and hosting places are constantly shutdown. And there is remote chance someone is monitoring these downloads and may come after end users.

Having said that, there are deals out there depending on what you want. My FIOS triple play bill is $87 including equipment & taxes. That includes $10 "Verizon Connections" credit from my company. So check if your company is part of Verizon Connections.

Just internet would cost me about $70 including taxes. So additional $20 for both TV and Phone is not bad.

I do switch between FIOS and Optimum every 2 years. I dont care who provides the service as long as they can keep bill under $100. So far FIOS has been extending promotions for me, meeting that goal.

Kodi users are near the bottom of the list. Since you are streaming you aren't copying or downloading so it is a lot tougher to prove a copyright violation. Also you aren't sharing. Public Torrent users are a lot easier to prosecute, and would be at the top of the list. People that use sites like PirateBay and the former KAT are the most at risk. For extra protection access internet through a VPN.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Having said that, there are deals out there depending on what you want.  My FIOS triple play bill is $87 including equipment & taxes. That includes $10 "Verizon Connections" credit from my company. So check if your company is part of Verizon Connections.  

How is your fios so cheap? I just checked and mine is almost the same price as cable. Our cable bill is $220!

How is your fios so cheap? I just checked and mine is almost the same price as cable.

Because they are switching every two years and getting promo rates. Also likely only one or two boxes.

The cheapest way to get regular programming with the least likely chance of being caught is to "share Directv". Four friends split one Bill. All you need is a dish and an active box to receive directv anywhere in America. Since Directv Satellite is downstream only there is no way of telling where the box is as long as it isn't connected to the internet or phone line. Not saying one should do this but I heard it works.

How is your fios so cheap? I just checked and mine is almost the same price as cable. Our cable bill is $220!

My latest FIOS account is about 3 years old. I took the cheapest plan available at the time, didnt care the internet speed (25/5 at the time) or sports. Thats about $59.99 after discounts. Plus taxes, dvr box fees (1 TV only) etc comes to about $98. Recently found out that my company has this Verizon Connections discount of $10. 

As better speeds became common, they bumped my plan to 50/50 without any extra fee. 

I dont watch TV much, so no special sports package, and I am not on facebook nor do I download/upload crap all day, so no crazy 50/50 or 100/100 internet :-). 

If you have FIOS and Cable in your area, call FIOS guys and ask for "Customer Retention Department" and threaten to leave. 

As a side note, I LOVE advertisements on TV Programming. For couple of reasons

1. So I know what products NOT to buy.  Best products, services I came across were all from word of mouth. More money spent on marketing means less money on actual product, hence crapy stuff - my view

2. So I get off the couch, walk around, run errands in house 

I wish some company provide free streaming programming (Discovery, AMC, Life Time, History etc) with ads. They all seem to squeeze us with monthly fees AND advertising. 

Can I use that with Fios or the cable company?

Probably not as Fios used cable card for third party boxes like TiVo. I don't believe this supports cable cards.

$185 and no sports channels ? Thats day time robbery, but I guess they get away because there is no competition.

1. Do bit of research online and see whats their (cable company) lowest package is.

2. Then see what they charge just for Internet. Without any competition, I would not be surprised if Cable guys charge an arm & leg just for Internet too. You need decent speed internet (better that DSL)

3. Once you figure if you can get just Internet access for decent price, you go buy this "Amazon Firestick" that can be plugged into back of your TV (HDMI). It comes with software and a remote

4. You can install additional software called "Kodi" onto that Firestick.

5. You can then install additional "modules" onto that Kodi software. Those modules lets you watch youtube etc

6. Some of those modules lets you watch movies, shows etc. As unpaid / free software modules, the legality of these modules is questionable and may be shutdown unexpectedly. But then someone else figures out and develops another module to get stuff for free :-)

7. You also need to figure out the phone situation - get Ooma or other internet phones

Hope that helps.

thank you very much this was very helpful! Also we might get sports but I don't watch sports so I really don't care lol.

As a side note, I LOVE advertisements on TV Programming. For couple of reasons

1. So I know what products NOT to buy. Best products, services I came across were all from word of mouth. More money spent on marketing means less money on actual product, hence crapy stuff - my view

2. So I get off the couch, walk around, run errands in house

I wish some company provide free streaming programming (Discovery, AMC, Life Time, History etc) with ads. They all seem to squeeze us with monthly fees AND advertising.

Hulu is loaded with ads if you don't pay extra to not have them.

If you want Hulu or Netflix cheaper look into EBay and purchasing gift cards. I got 3 years worth of Hulu Ad Free for $30 on eBay. I'm not sure if they are making these gift cards, but pay with PayPal and you have no worries. I've had the card on my Hulu account for 1 1/2 years and it is still going strong. Mine expires in less than a year because I have the ad free option.

You can also search Bing and get enough points to cover the basic Hulu per month.