Albanian

I'll have one thousand dollars to buy a firearm... what should I buy?

How about a 357 revolver like a L frame or GP100. You'll still have change to spend on other stuff.

A S&W 500 is might be impressive but shooting it is expensive even if you reload. Ask anyone who has one. They don't get shot much. If you need protection from polar bears and you can't carry a rifle it might be a good idea.

I agree with this.  Every time I think about getting rid of my 500 I go to the range and put 3 to 5 rds through it.  The big smile it brings to my face proves to me that it is worth it for another year.  I have had it a long time and have put less than 80 or so rds through it.  They are not practical at all but very fun.  I do reload for mine so it is not as bad as it could be.

^Love the "have to wait 29 more days to use" part. I've got 2 pistol permits, that I've already extended, that are due to expire in February. No idea if I want to use them or not; trying to sell a couple rifles before I buy another handgun. I really like those M&P 2.0's.

I know right. It used to be when I'm in another state they hear the accent and say "You must be from Jersey". Now they over hear me telling someone " yeah I need to wait another 29 days to you my purchase permit" THEN I get the "you must be from Jersey"! LOL

Thanks for the recent suggestions guys. I think I am going to go with a firearm that is around 500 and use the rest for ammo. Now I just need to figure out which gun.....

You lack a CZ.

CZ-75B, CZ-PCR, CZ-SP01.

IMHO the 75B is a classic. The PCR is very nice and I believe would make a nice carry gun. The SP-01 is a slicker, more polished 75B with a light rail.

I beleive all the above can be found for around $550 - $750. Any would be a nice addition to your collection and you would have money left over for ammo.

Good luck with your search. Let us know what you end up selecting.

Also, Colt will be coming out with a new revolver later this year. Maybe wait a bit, see how the reviews are and if positive pick one up.

https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2017/1/1/the-keefe-report-colt-cobra-a-new-factory-double-action-colt/

I thought I was done buying handguns. Turns out I was just done for right now. Let's face it, there will always be something we would like to add.

Also, Colt will be coming out with a new revolver later this year. Maybe wait a bit, see how the reviews are and if positive pick one up.

https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2017/1/1/the-keefe-report-colt-cobra-a-new-factory-double-action-colt/

I thought I was done buying handguns. Turns out I was just done for right now. Let's face it, there will always be something we would like to add.

Saw this at the NRA GOAS in Harrisburg last weekend.  Awesome trigger, balance, sorry to say only in 38SPCL for now but would make a great CCW wheelie.

For me the "core four" are:

• 1911 in .45
  • 357 mag revolver
  • 9/40 cal semi automatic
  • .22 pistol

Considering you have the G22, I would go for a 1911 and a .22 or a revolver and a .22

For example you can get a S&W 686 and a buckmark  or a Springfield RO and a Ruger MK4 in your budget. All quality guns that you will enjoy for years.

Although SW500 and DE's are very cool guns, you will likely not shoot them much. Ammo is costly. if you don't reload it is not at all practical for volume shooting ($1.50 or more per round for 500s&w).

$1000 is a hard budget to make a decision. 

Think about a CZ75/85 and a brick of ammo to go with it. I love my Kimbers, but none of them were in that range. Some great wheel guns like a 686 at that range

Shotgun, for a grand your not in O/U range. Min $2500 for anything nice.

S&W TRR8 .357 8rd

6048406934_6d96a0d448_z.jpg

That was developed for a specific purpose by S&W for the NYPD ESU. They wanted a revolver in .357 Mag for use with ballistic shields (when using a semi auto pistol with a ballistic shield you run the risk of the slide hitting the shield under recoil and causing malfunctions) that could take a light for target ID and an optic for more effective one handed shooting through the shield's viewport.

Anyway, with $1K, I would by a shit-ton of ammo for the pistol I shoot the best and travel to take a big name training class. Langdon, DeFoor, Gonzales, CSAT, VTAC, etc...

Whelp, I waited a little longer to save some money. I am getting a Vector CRB gen II (ODG) in 45 and an EOTech 512 (plus various ammo and cleaning supplies). Already have the EOTech, Vector is on order. Yes I am truly a millennial and need my Call of Duty guns. lol

Thanks again for all the posts. I do have a list now though thanks to the recommendations from you guys. It's just that I wanted the Vector since I got my first firearm some years ago. I realized I could just save over the summer and afford it and I am hearing great things about the Gen 2.

Edited by Albanian
added info