Sign in to follow this  
johnp

Anyone into bushcraft

So I somehow stumbled upon this awesome Youtuber

And he makes bushcraft camping look very enjoyable, challenging but enjoyable. So if anybody is into this style of camping how did you get started, where would you recommend I start, general bushcraft discussion.

Unfortunately, my camping experience involves a campsite, a tent, and a cooler full of beer...not very merit badge worthy.

We used to call it backpacking.  Booked many miles on the AT.  My boys love winter camping still. but I'm too old for that now.  Best experience was when we had a teepee and would set it up and crawl in and start a fire in the center. Warm as toast.  Roll that in with ice fishing and a good time had by all.  I still like to cook outdoors with dutch ovens, but they are too heavy for traveling.  Used to set a limit of 36-40 pounds for the pack but sometimes very hard to do,

Many still hike the AT.  Drop off on a Friday Night and pickup anywhere from 25 miles or so on the other end.  Got into it when the boys were in Scouting.  Younger one did a 14 day trek at Philmont in NM.  It can be very relaxing or terrorize you.  Takes a while to find out if you like it or not.  Scouts used to do 'hobo camping' every January up in PA.  Overnight with no tent, had to build a shelter and go overnight.  Takes a bunch of prep to be safe.  Did a few hunts this way, too.  Can't say I enjoyed the harvest drag out.  Would need to go to work to rest up from my weekend.

My friends and I usually go camping once a year. Rules are it's real camping, no campsite, bathroom, shower ect. You can bring what you can carry but it's a 7 mile hike to the spot and 2 miles are off trail buchwhacking. You can bring a tent but you will be made fun of for the long weekend. I Dident get to go last year because my daughter was born but we're already planning one for this spring.

Does packing everything into the back of a bronco and go to the sandwash for the weekend count? We had to start fires with a car cig lighter. Hiked nearly 100yds to set up the cabin tent.

On a serious note. Would be fun as long as you have matches and some other basic tools with water close by. Starting a fire with a bow sucks