capt14k

Lack of C&R Interest

Pistol caliber carbines are another one... the 9mm CX4 started it (first taking my 92 magazines, and then my PX4 magazines), then the .45 AR, followed by the .44 Magnum Ruger (tube-fed semi), which came before the Uberti 1860 Henry in .45 Colt. My .40 SUB-2000 (that uses the M&P magazine from my 5" Pro) should be heading to the FFL next week.

Next thing you know, you're up to 50 guns. [emoji41]

But to bring it back, one of the three guns going to the FFL is a C&R; a Mosin Nagant M38.

Pistol caliber carbines are another one... the 9mm CX4 started it (first taking my 92 magazines, and then my PX4 magazines), then the .45 AR, followed by the .44 Magnum Ruger (tube-fed semi), which came before the Uberti 1860 Henry in .45 Colt. My .40 SUB-2000 (that uses the M&P magazine from my 5" Pro) should be heading to the FFL next week.

Next thing you know, you're up to 50 guns. [emoji41]

But to bring it back, one of the three guns going to the FFL is a C&R; a Mosin Nagant M38.

They do multiply. I'm over 100 rifles now. Only the 5 are newer. The rest are at least 60 years old.

That's odd mine show up in groups of 3 at my FFL as well lol.

My latest build is a M/28-30 and M/28-57. The last M/28-30 I bought came in a M/28-57 stock. I found the correct 1940 Civil Guard marked M/28-30 stock with bands and rear diopter sight for the M/28-57. Now I just need the front post and the hardest part a M/28-57 complete barreled action.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

That I understand. I've ran into a few people that have multiple 5.56 AR-15s. I don't know if they were competitive shooters. I guess they like to build them? I have a AR-15, an AR-10, and a CX4 Storm. This covers the two NATO calibers and a pistol size carbine. I thought about adding other calibers at one time, but there are just too many Milsurps I still want. The list never seems to end. Right now the semis I am trying to buy are the FN-49s. I have a Colombian and Egyptian. Looking for the rest. Ideally a Venezuelan next.

I just find the beauty of the old world craftsmanship of a Mauser much more appealing. Especially the South American and other Contract Mausers which were some of the finest made with some really nice crests. Most of mine now are all matching. I don't collect American Rifles because the parts weren't matched to the rifle. I especially like the Early War K98k. Down to the screws they were numbered and they have history as well.

I like the Finnish Mosins because of their accuracy and history. They had to be accurate to survive. The Russian Mosins I don't care for.

For the poster looking for AKs there are fire sales on them right now in California too. Saw a AK-74 today for $600. Also there is a AK-47 listed on PAFOA forums for $700. Both are less than it cost me to build mine from Saigas that I bought before the import ban.

Love the one M39 Finnish I have. Probably one of my top 5 Mosins.

Love the one M39 Finnish I have. Probably one of my top 5 Mosins.

They are a great shooting rifle. I have a VKT and a SAKO. Still looking for a SAKO SK.Y unfortunately the prices have been crazy lately. The only more accurate Milsurp rifles I have are my Swiss K31 and Finnish M/28-30. The Finns were outnumbered so they had to make their shots count. Some battles they killed Russians at a rate of 100 to 1. Overall 6:1.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Interest in milsurps is strong............just not so much on this forum. I know a lot of people in NJ who collect milsurps.

I have milsurps in stock, I just don't advertise them often on this forum all that much because interest seems to be low here.

Interest in milsurps is strong............just not so much on this forum. I know a lot of people in NJ who collect milsurps.

I have milsurps in stock, I just don't advertise them often on this forum all that much because interest seems to be low here.

Do you have any FN-49, M/39 SK.Y, Crested Mausers?

I think horders kill off a lot of milsurp interest as well. This isn't a personal attack, but some people have 20 Springfield M1s. Others buy all they can from the CMP. This keeps rifles out of a lot of hands.

I love milsurp, but my collection is limited.

I think horders kill off a lot of milsurp interest as well. This isn't a personal attack, but some people have 20 Springfield M1s. Others buy all they can from the CMP. This keeps rifles out of a lot of hands.

I agree. However when these old timers start dying off the market will be flooded and supply will outpace demand leading to the ones alive crying in their pile of Mosins. I try to only keep one of each example. Which sometimes I convince myself they are different like having a arsenal refurb MAS 49/56 and an original MAS 49/56.

Guilty lol... I have a room in my house with just Mosins... my in-laws stay in there when they visit. My father in law calls it the Russian armory room hahha... it has the sweet aroma of cosmoline sometimes... he told me he feels like he's sleeping on the wrong side of the Berlin Wall....

Do you have any FN-49, M/39 SK.Y, Crested Mausers?

No FN 49s or Finnish Mosins currently. The only Mausers I have right now are a Yugo M48 BO and a couple of Russian capture German K98s.

Some other stuff that I might part with - Finn marked 91/30, Egyptian Hakim, New England Westinghouse M91

No FN 49s or Finnish Mosins currently. The only Mausers I have right now are a Yugo M48 BO and a couple of Russian capture German K98s.

Some other stuff that I might part with - Finn marked 91/30, Egyptian Hakim, New England Westinghouse M91

I have a Hakim, but I do like them and the AG-42. If the Hakim is matching and bore is good I would be interested.

As for my black rifle comment I guess it was unfair. Being I didn't think about the guys actually competing with them. I was more referring to the guys that buy multiple PSA ARs and don't compete. I can't for the life of me understand why someone would want multiples of essentially the same thing. Maybe its because the like building them?

I think the market in black rifles beginning 7-8 years ago strongly suggests a fad. That platform is, after all, the most popular rifle in the USA. I started a thread "Why an AR?" and got a lot of great information. I still spend 15 minutes every time I get an ad for an AR or AK. And I may get one yet for shits and grins. But don't ask me why other than I have $$ burning a hole in my pocket.

As for multiples: My milsurps are projects. De-greasing a Mosin, unsticking the bolt, refinishing the stock (only once) keeps me out of trouble for a few days. ARs are highly customizable so if you collect rifles why not have a dozen? Enough different AKs as well. There's something to be said for preserving calibers on different guns.

• Like 1

I think the market in black rifles beginning 7-8 years ago strongly suggests a fad. That platform is, after all, the most popular rifle in the USA. I started a thread "Why an AR?" and got a lot of great information. I still spend 15 minutes every time I get an ad for an AR or AK. And I may get one yet for shits and grins. But don't ask me why other than I have $$ burning a hole in my pocket.

Don't get me wrong they are a good platform and versatile. Personally I don't have a need for more than 2, a AR-15 and a AR-10. If I want to fire different rounds I will get different uppers and not have to deal with transfers.

I enjoy the history, quality, and collectiblity of my Milsurps a whole lot more. Plus I haven't seen any 8mm Mauser or .30-06 ARs out there other than the XMG-34 and BN-36. I prefer either round to .308. I would like an HCAR, but for that kind of money I would probably get a SMG FG-42 first.

Vlad G no offense meant but do you venture outside NJ often on forums or to shows? Milsurps are huge right now. Prices just came off their all time highs. Every piece of junk Classic put up sold out in minutes at double the going rate. Milsurp collecting is alive and well. Just not in NJ whether it is on this forum or at the local LGS. NY, PA, CA, GA, and New England forums just to name a few Milsurps are very active especially compared to NJ.

I am interested in reading the opinions though of those in NJ.

For me personally black rifles are me too guns. I have 3 of them AR-15 variant, AR-10, and Beretta CX4 Storm. I can get three more today in a click of the button. As Screwball said how many have those rare pieces. By the way the last .45 Luger I saw sell for $100,000.

Screwball I know exactly what you mean. I got blasted on RMNF for putting my Arisaka back to original configuration by adding the missing parts such as monopod and AA sights. I said I wanted to find the right numbered bolt and they went crazy. I personally would never refinish a rifle or sporterize it. I look for ones in the condition I can live with. However once someone owns the rifle they can use it for kindling wood if they so choose. I may try to nicely talk them out of it, but it is America and they have the right to do what they want.

For those looking for a $79 Mosin that maybe tough but Omega is selling $99 T53 Chinese Mosins. Russian Refurbs are back down to a reasonable $150. Over the summer I saw people paying $330 for common Russian 91/30 refurbs a with the accessories and $275 without the accessories.

I said the prices were unsustainable. For instance Classic selling RC Mausers for $700. Many people got upset by this. Mainly because they look at their collections as a retirement fund. The RC Mausers are back to $350 which I wouldn't buy one even at that price, but it is a fair price. To me a RC Mauser is equivalent to a Mitchell's Mauser, just not in as nice condition. I know others feel different, but I don't collect Russian Rifles unless they were rebuilt by the Finns.

I also agree BF1 will bring interest to the WWI firearms. That combined with the fact that the greatest WWI collection in the world is being sold this summer. JPS says he is retiring and selling just about everything. The photos attached are just a small sampling.

As more old timers die off prices will continue to drop. That's why I am patient and refuse to over pay. I also don't see my collection as a retirement fund. I collect because I enjoy the history of them and shooting them. Many collectors say I'm crazy and prices will continue to rise, but I've seen many guys in their 70s with 1,000 rifles. As they hit the market and are being sold by their heirs there just isn't enough demand to maintain the high prices.

Sorry for the super long post but I at least tried to break it into sections.

46aeac1324fb5c8951c9b47725bc9283.jpg

02da1518dcb3920cb9e5af8c1a173b72.jpg

9643902b5938c8ca64caa79f51ad70fc.jpg

Capt. Is this your collection?

Personally I don't have a need for more than 2, a AR-15 and a AR-10. If I want to fire different rounds I will get different uppers and not have to deal with transfers.

While I understand that, it really doesn't work out that way...

My original AR was setup with the three uppers... and while useful, I liken them to .22 conversions when comparing to dedicated.22 pistols. Everyone buys a conversion to get the same frame to shoot multiple calibers... but you can only shoot one at a time. If you have a major caliber (9mm for pistols, or 5.56mm for ARs), and a minor caliber (.22), you can't let a new shooter learn off the .22 while you shoot the other.

Even though those two extra uppers never had lowers built for them (I fitted them in a Pelican case), I never got another upper without buying a lower. Just easier to setup a lower, especially when you go into different length barrels. I wouldn't really setup a lower for a 16" barrel in the same way I would setup an 18" or 20".

I can swap uppers on different lowers, but not the norm. The only one I would swap would be the .22 on my .45 lower, being it is so lightweight and short (since a .22 barrel is recessed 1.5" in the receiver, a 16" barrel gives the correct 14.5" military look).

Capt. Is this your collection?

I wish. No it is JPS Collection that is coming up for sale. Some of it will be mine.

Screwball I understand it is a pain to change them and why people have multiple different caliber ARs. Honestly I don't even have different uppers, because I don't find a need for it. Once my daughter's get older I will likely add a dedicated .22 upper, but while they are shooting, at first I will be watching, then shooting plenty of the rifles I haven't had the time to yet.

The upper swap is ok for people just messing around or where it doesn't matter. But it doesn't work when you need a particular stock or trigger. For example on a precision AR I have a G match trigger and a PRS stock. Neither the right choice for an AR set up for more run and gun oriented tasks.

The upper swap is ok for people just messing around or where it doesn't matter. But it doesn't work when you need a particular stock or trigger. For example on a precision AR I have a G match trigger and a PRS stock. Neither the right choice for an AR set up for more run and gun oriented tasks.

I conceded earlier for competition it is completely different. People pay 5 figures for target rifles.

I'd like to get my hands on a garand, a 1903 and an early production 1911 but it is cost prohibitive at the moment. No interest in any of the euro guns except maybe an Enfield

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I have a couple Enfields if interested.

I have no idea what the price range would be honestly. I haven't even looked into it yet.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Right around $400 give or take depending on which one. If interested PM me.

I still spend 15 minutes every time I get an ad for an AR or AK. And I may get one yet for shits and grins. But don't ask me why other than I have $$ burning a hole in my pocket.

Go for it ! You can get a really nice rifle with the PSA sales now for about $450.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/blem-psa-16-m4-carbine-5-56-nato-1-7-nitride-13-5-keymod-freedom-upper-with-bcg-ch-516444606.html

http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-ar-15-complete-blem-lower-magpul-moe-edition-black-no-magazine.html

And this is for a very decent AR, not super basic.

I am certainly interested in C&R classified weapons but I am more focused on mint condition collector items. I would assume many were people interested in them at one time but with ammo supplies near the end the interest will eventually dry up with most people.

I am certainly interested in C&R classified weapons but I am more focused on mint condition collector items. I would assume many were people interested in them at one time but with ammo supplies near the end the interest will eventually dry up with most people.

I agree ammo supply has a bearing. When cheap .303 dried up Enfield prices dropped. Even when CTD came up with a ton of HPX .303 prices never recovered. There are others that never took off in price like M1895 Mannlichers, Carcanos, and others. However Milsurp interest is alive and well outside NJ. Just check recent gunbroker sales.

What did you mean by mint collector items? Just curious as to what others collect.