capt14k

Lack of C&R Interest

If all goes as planned, in a few hours I'll be snagging a WWI and WWII issued German Dreyse M1907 off Gunbroker. Issued to the Austro-Hungarian army in WWI and then to the Germans in WWII (as a backup gun), where a vet acquired it and brought it back to the states. Not an expensive gun, not a particularly rare gun.... but it's history! And I'm so sick of seeing pieces of history sit in a safe and slowly deteriorate until some unfortunate soul passes, and their family either "plays with it" to destruction or turns it in to the local police station, who melts it.

It's the same reason I bought my Mosin years ago, with plans to put it in a modern stock, but never did. Some young man (or woman) used it to shoot at another human being, probably used it to defend their life so they could go home to their family. Some person, probably younger than me, may've lugged this monster of a rifle through a hail of bullets and explosions, scared out of their mind. ...It seemed almost disrespectful to alter it after thinking about it that way. 

• Like 1

If you can own only one - 1950 long branch

Or a nice savage

They are good choices, but I prefer the 1941 or earlier Long Branch No4 Mk1 (no asterisk).

Also tough to beat a Lithgow No1 Mk3

The nicest looking for different reasons are the Irish Contracts the No4 Mk2 and No1 Mk1

All the Enfields are fine shooters.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I just looked for it and did not see it - grrrrrr.... it was up like three days ago and was a fine rifle - guages new reach out to Dave A " 156??? " He might still have it

100% !

I like the early pre * models, but when you load for the 303 it can do wonders.......... let me know what you have LOL if you so inclined...PM me.

You have me blocked still lol.

I'm leaning towards an AK because I already have 2 sks's and too many f-ing calibers. Again the question is why get the gun when I already have the t-shirt :)  The SKSs in 'x39 are as accurate as I'm ever going to shoot. 10 rounds is more than I'd use for hunting in a year even if I could use a rifle here for that purpose. Not expecting any zombies and rifles are not my choice for home defense anyway. I'll eventually buy something on impulse but I can't justify it from a practical or esthetic perspective. 

Really? I see ur posts..lemme check. ..maybe ur a big mean guy thats why? Lmao. Jk

It worked now. The forum has a polite message. Said something like "this member is not inclined to receive messages from you".

I agree ammo supply has a bearing. When cheap .303 dried up Enfield prices dropped. Even when CTD came up with a ton of HPX .303 prices never recovered. There are others that never took off in price like M1895 Mannlichers, Carcanos, and others. However Milsurp interest is alive and well outside NJ. Just check recent gunbroker sales.

What did you mean by mint collector items? Just curious as to what others collect.

These are some of the items that I collect that I would never shoot. All of them are matching numbers with unmolested stocks.

566A6B30-AB29-4275-98B3-35C4BACB83FB_zps

C0BEFCFE-A78C-4FDD-8136-E93815AEEA08_zps

1. Unfired AC45 K43 rifle with rare SKL 45 sling

2.BYF44 K98

3.BCD 4 K98 phosphate/blued

4 DOT 1944 K98

5.BNZ 45 K98

6. Near perfect 100% correct early Remington 1903A3

0 TE and 0 ME

These are some of the items that I collect that I would never shoot. All of them are matching numbers with unmolested stocks.

566A6B30-AB29-4275-98B3-35C4BACB83FB_zps

C0BEFCFE-A78C-4FDD-8136-E93815AEEA08_zps

1. Unfired AC45 K43 rifle with rare SKL 45 sling

2.BYF44 K98

3.BCD 4 K98 phosphate/blued

4 DOT 1944 K98

5.BNZ 45 K98

6. Near perfect 100% Remington 1903A3

Very nice. I fire everything I collect except two firearms my 1919 Colt Black Army and a Finnish 91/30 in a M/27 stock. Rifle isn't worth much but it is very cool looking. I probably shouldn't fire some others, but I can't resist. I'm looking for a G43 also. Are you a member of k98kforum?

I just looked for it and did not see it - grrrrrr....  it was up like three days ago and was a fine rifle - guages new reach out to Dave A  " 156??? "  He might still have it

100% !

I like the early pre * models, but when you load for the 303 it can do wonders..........  let me know what you have LOL if you so inclined...PM me.

Yep, Still have it.http://imgur.com/a/56Ktv  

1100 with the alaskan scope, barrel gauges new. Will take some partial trades, No PPs.

Price wise I can't own an original either....shooting clones are your friend. ..

Someone in south jessy has a nice one for sale

20170114_165448_zpshgvtrdqk.jpg

Wow. Who makes that one?

Edit: Saw the link above.

Is that built on an original receiver?

Very nice. I fire everything I collect except two firearms my 1919 Colt Black Army and a Finnish 91/30 in a M/27 stock. Rifle isn't worth much but it is very cool looking. I probably shouldn't fire some others, but I can't resist. I'm looking for a G43 also. Are you a member of k98kforum?

I am on K98 forum, if you buy a g/k43 and plan on shooting it buy a mismatched rifle and install a shooters kit by apfeltor.

I am on K98 forum, if you buy a g/k43 and plan on shooting it buy a mismatched rifle and install a shooters kit by apfeltor.

I plan on buying a matching or mostly matching metal, with new stock or re-finished original stock then swapping out parts before shooting. This way it has some collector value but it isn't too expensive to shoot.

• Like 1

I plan on buying a matching or mostly matching metal, with new stock or re-finished original stock then swapping out parts before shooting. This way it has some collector value but it isn't too expensive to shoot.

Your probably better off buying the cheapest functional rifle in original configuration you can as original parts are rare and expensive.There are reproduction parts but some were not made of properly heat treat/ hardness steel. Many reproductions stocks are hardwood which are completely wrong and will not help with resale value in the future.

Your probably better off buying the cheapest functional rifle in original configuration you can as original parts are rare and expensive.There are reproduction parts but some were not made of properly heat treat/ hardness steel. Many reproductions stocks are hardwood which are completely wrong and will not help with resale value in the future.

So better off to buy a refinished original stock with matching or mostly matching parts?

By swapping parts I meant with the shooter's kit as you mentioned and putting the original parts aside.

I've seen a few original stock sets for sale in Germany (so they claim) that sell for around 200€. I was thinking maybe swap the original stock with one of these. Putting the original aside when not shooting.

I'm hoping to find one with collectible value but not 100% for around $1,600. What about that plan?

Either way it will have to wait a little bit because I went on a FN-49 binge this week. Basically adding all models except the most rare Indonesian, Brazilian, and Congo.

03a3 receiver 4 mil? Gotta go look...

Redfield Jr base commercial

Vintage weaver k460B

San Antonio arsenal c stock

Rem barrel guages .5

The scope is rumored to have been on fbi counter sniper or early vietnam rifles. ...it works and works well

I've recently acquired it back to my stable

Beautiful rifle. Great history as well.

I'm curious on the quality from these guys:

https://www.creedmoorsports.com/product/M82-Scoped-1903-A4-Sniper-Rifle-With-Criterion-Barrel/centerfire-rifles

I looked at the Gibbs rifles, but read there are issues with the barrels, scope, and stock here:

http://www.scout.com/military/snipers-hide/forums/5516-vintage/13915920-gibbs-1903-a4-sniper-rifle

So better off to buy a refinished original stock with matching or mostly matching parts?

By swapping parts I meant with the shooter's kit as you mentioned and putting the original parts aside.

I've seen a few original stock sets for sale in Germany (so they claim) that sell for around 200€. I was thinking maybe swap the original stock with one of these. Putting the original aside when not shooting.

I'm hoping to find one with collectible value but not 100% for around $1,600. What about that plan?

Either way it will have to wait a little bit because I went on a FN-49 binge this week. Basically adding all models except the most rare Indonesian, Brazilian, and Congo.

I don't think a stock for 200 euros would be original as they are worth probably 2 times that with no metal parts.If it is original it probably has some serious issues. The decent laminate reproduction stocks from Poland are over $300 USD. Sadly many non matching rifles are worth more in parts than a complete rifle. I paid $300 for the spare parts kit for my buttstock compartment.

Ok. Im in. Tell me what to look for and whats a good price. Id like to buy one.

Which the Finns? I would say most people start with a M39 VKT or Sako and go from there. A nice matching one around $450 or matching but the magazine $400. Barrel, receiver, bolt, and magazine should be Finn Matched which means you will many times see other serials crossed out. Stock you want wartime or transitional.

The second most common is the M91/30 Tikka they are usually unissued and all matching 1944 or 1945. For a Hex Receiver around $400 a round receiver $500.

Finn M91, M27, and M28 can be had for $300-450

Finn M24 run $400-1500

Finn M/28-30 is my personal favorite and most accurate. It is a Civil Guard Rifle. They run $500-1,000.

I actually wonder if the age of milsurps is coming to an end. Maybe a milsurp in its entirety, but I think eventually, assuming a good political climate, parts kits with non-machine gun receivers may be available

Similar to what people do with the FAL. I'm fine with getting a new production receiver for something. Granted original is best, but if I want the experience of shooting a military gun, I'll put up with it having a new receivers/ no giggle-switch

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I actually wonder if the age of milsurps is coming to an end. Maybe a milsurp in its entirety, but I think eventually, assuming a good political climate, parts kits with non-machine gun receivers may be available

Similar to what people do with the FAL. I'm fine with getting a new production receiver for something. Granted original is best, but if I want the experience of shooting a military gun, I'll put up with it having a new receivers/ no giggle-switch

NJ Milsurps are dead. I listed 3 on the trader. None will sell here.

They "could" sell here. But this isn't a C&R centric site. But there are those here that have such interests and the discretionary income to act on it. Of course a muscle car will have a better chance to sell on a muscle car forum, but guys who are into cars are also on other forums and if spotted on a different forum could result in a sale, especially if the forum is localized. But you seem rather determined to make your point. And that determination is rather odd to me. I think it could turn off some prospective buyers. But I guarantee you, you hit the right price and it would sell here. Ive watched it many times, an item is ignored for ever, then a price drop that hits what the market supports and people are all over it to the point the fastest keyboard and pickup wins!

I'll take a look at what's there. But I'm going to the oaks show Sunday. Most of my collection is milsurp, or military style. I know personally, I'm only interested in guns used by militaries for some reason

I'll take a look at what's there. But I'm going to the oaks show Sunday. Most of my collection is milsurp, or military style. I know personally, I'm only interested in guns used by militaries for some reason

There are a few here interested in Milsurps. Obviously you are one of them. I have 3 posted Savage No4 original matching no import $500, T99 Kokura original matching no import $300, and M24 Yugo original matching except bolt is off by a few numbers $450. Also going to list FN-49 Colombian matching metal replaced stock $1,000, Maltby No4 Matching Pantograph Error $400, and Finn M28/30 Finn matching bolt, barrel, and butt plate still with Cosmoline $600. Based on GunBroker prices I think they are more than fair.

As to the poster above I just listed these items the last couple days. My point was there is little Milsurp interest in NJ. At least on this forum and the shops I have been to. Most of the dealers can't tell the difference between a Mosin and a Mauser. Not sure why there is such little interest. It is definitely against the norm. Calguns, PAFOA, Oaklahoma Shooters, and many other state specific forums have a much stronger Milsurp interest. I have sold one Milsurp one this forum. I did however sell a black rifle right away yesterday on this forum. Why there is such little interest in Milsurps I do not know.