sroc112

Colt LE6920-OEM1

Looking into purchasing the Colt LE6920-OEM1 stripped down no furniture. As far as a hanguard goes, my understanding is that this gun will take a 7 inch drop in only, not free float, is that correct.

I plan on adding the Magpul CTR mill-spec stock - are any other parts needed to add this on or does the stock from Magpul come with every necessary?

Sorry for such basic questions, still learning the ins and outs of the AR world. Your help is much appreciated!

You will also need to have a non-flash hiding muzzle device (either a brake or a comp) installed and permanently attached before taking the rifle from the FFL - if you plan on keeping it in NJ.

You can put a few different free float systems on there, but if you are doing nothing but adding a white light, sling, and vertical grip, and don't plan on using the rifle for any conletition shooting where you may e using a barricade as a rest, you would be well served with just a Magpul drop in handguard.

If you want an easy to install free float, the DD Omega 7 is a two piece drop in free float that is awesome. It's a little pricey, but it works perfectly and you can install it yourself in 10 minutes.

If you grind the FSB down, you can use any tube that uses the standard AR Barrel Nut, like the Troy Alpha, Bravo, and MLOK tubes without removing the brake, which is nice if you already had your permanently attached.

If you buy the tube and a low profile gas block, and give it to the place doing the compliance work, they can install anything you want pretty easily before they attach the muzzle device.

The CTR stock will have everything you need, but save some $$ and get the MOE version. You have to have the stock pinned anyway so you don't need the friction lock, why pay for it?

The Colt will take a standard drop in hand guard, or if you must have a FF rail, you can find a DD Omega rail, which is a drop in.

With modifications, you can add pretty much any rail you desire.

The CTR stock will slip right on the receiver extension. You will have to pin it in place to be NJ compliant. You will also have to replace the flash hider with a muzzle brake, and pin it in place.

Excellent choice. Colt makes a fine AR.

Looks like HE beat me to the punch!! Listen to what that man says, he is a wealth of knowledge.

• Like 1

Looking into purchasing the Colt LE6920-OEM1 stripped down no furniture. As far as a hanguard goes, my understanding is that this gun will take a 7 inch drop in only, not free float, is that correct.

I plan on adding the Magpul CTR mill-spec stock - are any other parts needed to add this on or does the stock from Magpul come with every necessary?

Sorry for such basic questions, still learning the ins and outs of the AR world. Your help is much appreciated!

I did exactly that, but I used the Magpul MOE furniture set.  I'm not sure what you need to do to make the OEM1 "NJ Legal."  But I was able to use mine without any mods.

Absolutely, that Troy offering is not free floated and does nothing a MOE handguard won't do for you at a fraction of the cost and weight.

The DD Omega 7 is free floated.

Absolutely, that Troy offering is not free floated and does nothing a MOE handguard won't do for you at a fraction of the cost and weight.

The DD Omega 7 is free floated.

Thanks! Any others to compare or maybe just stick with the DD?

What modifications would be required if I wanted a hand guard longer than 7 inches?

Depends.

IMO, easiest, most reliable, and most cost effective is to grind down the FSB - a ground down FSB is much more reliable and secure than a replacement low profile gas block - cut off the delta ring and get a tube that fits a standard barrel nut. My preferred tube is the 13" Troy Alpha, VTAC, or MLOK tube.

Another way is to buy a tube with a proprietary barrel nut. Then you have to have the muzzle device unpinned/ground off (hopefully without destroying it so you don't have to buy a new one) and remove the barrel from the upper and reinstall it with the correct nut, re align any gas block, install the tube, and then have the muzzle device permanently attached again. A lot of extra work and more $$.

the DD Omega 7 and 9 are unbeatable if you plan to keep your standard barrel nut and want to free float without having to modify anything - not even the handguard retainer.  I have the omega 9 and it's rock solid.  You can easily swap back to stock whenever you want.

The troy MRF series (2-piece drop in free float system) are also good, but this requires cutting off the delta ring/weld spring.  I have this on a 20" setup and it's really strong as well.  There are good sales on these every once in a while.  Got mine for $99 shipped from PA a while back.

Midwest Industries also has a carbine length 2-piece FF setup that has rails extending past the FSB:  LINK

What modifications would be required if I wanted a hand guard longer than 7 inches?

you would be best to order the oem-2 if that was the case. the front sight is already profiled.  then you could always add a 12" Centurion c4 rail or whateve you prefer that uses a standard barrel nut