Sign in to follow this  
jrfly3006

Is reloading worth it for my situation?

Using the following assumptions, is reloading worth it for me using today's pricing on components?

Shooting 100 rds .223/ 5.56 55gr M193 load every month

Shooting 50-100 rds .45 230gr RN every month

Shooting 50- 100 rds 9mm 124gr every month

Occasionally shootibg some 30-30 and 30-06

Would buy the RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme Single Stg Master kit at approx $250(press,scale, primer, poweder drop, small case tool set..

Would have to buy dies

Have brass already for above.

I know there are a buttload of variables in this but just a roundabout estimate if im losing money, saving or breaking even..thanks all

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

FWIW - saving money on ammo wasn't/isn't a priority on my list when I started...Its something that I wanted to learn and my personality enjoys...getting lost in the garage for a few hours and seeing the final result is what I get out of reloading...the cost savings in the long run is an added bonus.

• Like 1

They say reloading does not save you any money because you will shoot more.  I do not agree.  Reloading also gives you the flexibility to choose what your completed round of ammo will be and how it will perform.  Handloads can be tailored to exactly what you and your gun need to get to that next level.  Initial costs are not cheap.  9mm and 223 will have the lowest margins for savings, and 45 and 30-06 the greatest.  Start with 45ACP, easy to learn with and cuts costs to near half per box.  Bottle neck rifle cartridges take to most work.  Get a single stage press kit, pistol dies, and a tumbler and your ready to go.  Just make sure you get a balance beam scale in the kit. I still do not trust the little digital scales.  Pistol powders especially fast burning powders require a precise verifiable measurement.  Go for it, you will be hooked as soon as you master the learning curve.

It looks like you're shooting about $100 of factory ammo a month.

Whatever you do, you should value your time as well.

If you're saving $30 a month but spending 10 hours doing it, then the payoff isn't so great.

Unless of course, you're doing it for enjoyment and as a hobby or need special loads or expensive calibers.  Or, have a lot of disposable time.

Otherwise, price of standard factory ammo appears to be trending down

• Like 1

I started reloading to make custom loads for competition (pistol) and precision (rifle). I actually shoot very little, unfortunately, but I still enjoy reloading.

I maintain the capability even in the face of cheap ammo because of insane proposals like this http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2015/12/robert-farago/new-york-looks-to-cap-ammo-purchases-to-twice-a-guns-capacity-every-90-days/

It's nice to get into reloading just so you know how to for future reference and having the equipment and components to do so when you're in a pinch.  It won't pay for itself very quickly, but it's worth knowing and getting familiar with.

As mentioned above, you need a good amount of time to get started and to get accustomed to the process.

You will not be saving any money, for at least a year or two anyway. Once all of the little knick-knacks are priced into your equation, you can expect to be spending at least double of your initial investment in the press and accessories.

Things like ammo boxes, calipers, case gauges, plastic bins as well as a ridiculous assortment of components (until you create pet loads), all add-up very quickly.

What you will get is the ability to create loads that produce exactly the results that you're looking for; whether it be cheap plinking ammo or clean burning competition ammo.

IMHO, Reloading is fun and easy once you get a little experience. I would start immediately b/c you dont know what your missing out on with this hobby within a hobby. If you hate it then you can sell off your barely used gear pretty quickly at a minimal loss.

Another factor to consider is where you shoot and whether they allow reloaded ammo.  Some ranges do not allow it, but if you pack up your reloads in factory-looking boxes I highly doubt you'll ever get "busted".  The most I've ever seen a range do for ammo inspection was run a magnet over bullet heads to ensure they didn't have steel core.

watch craigslist, letgo and armslist, also yard sales, thrift stores and flea markets you will likely find a setup on the cheep. I bought a single stage Leiman with scale, powder trickler, a set of dies and some odds and ends components for $30. I already owned a single stage and a progressive. But, $30. 

• Like 1