Sign in to follow this  
bikesandbeers

Hello from Hunterdon County!

Hello everyone! 

I'm new to this forum, the state of New Jersey, and the firearms community. Just moved here from California and I grew up in Ohio. I like riding bikes, drinking beer and whiskey, hiking with my dog, reading old sci-fi books, and going on road trips. Since this is the internet, I'd like to include a biased opinion; I think that the BBC's Planet Earth series narrated by David Attenborough is the finest work documented in film. 

I grew up around firearms but haven't owned one, and I joined the forum hoping to get some advice on acquiring a gun. I learned to shoot with a Ruger .22 revolver, and think I might like something similar. I don't know much about different manufacturers or calibers and am open to suggestions. 

Thanks

Welcome and do lots of reading here before you actually make a decision. You should apply for you FPID and Permits To Purchase A Pistol from your local police department. They can take a long time to get but it should be quick in gun friently Hunterdon County.

Welcome!

Yes get started on your FID and P2P now ...

One of the first things is to understand why you want a firearm ... home defense, target/range shooting, competition, hunting ... and that will start to steer you in a certain direction of what type and caliber.

Thanks for the replies!

I've applied for my Firearm Purchaser ID and my Permits to Purchase a Pistol, as well as paid the state to fingerprint, background check, and otherwise deeply scrutinize me. I'm not sure how long it'll take to come back, but the officers I spoke with were friendly and prompt when I was there, so here's hoping that carries through to the processing of the application. 

Fortunately, as Taipan said, I'm not too far from the Heritage Guild in Easton, and I can rent a firearm and some range time there while I wait for the FID to process.