Ray Ray

590 Shockwave, NJ legal?

30 minutes ago, JT Custom Guns said:

According to the NJSP - they are classifying it as a pistol (need HG permit) until the AG

makes a final ruling................... Or so i am told.

I do not think that is how the person bought it, but I didn't ask.   Nor will I.  

I still want one

50 minutes ago, Old School said:

Anybody know of a roof / ceiling console that can be mounted in an F-150?

Excellent place for a Shockwave.

I'm sure you can think of something pops.

See in addition to concealed carry it is legal in SC with or without a permit to have a loaded firearm in your glove box or console.

Over head would be great because you wouldn't sweep yourself deploying in either direction,  It would have to be covered though

to protect from theft and to eliminate brandishing.

• Like 1

I'm sure several FFLs are pushing to find out as soon as possible how these fall in to the anti-NJ scheme of things, given all the salivating that's going on.

To be clear, you can add me to the drooling list.

On 1/25/2017 at 8:30 AM, Purple Patrick said:

Vepr 12 and saiga MAGS are junk. Shotguns shouldn't be mag fed and that's that.

this signature exceeds the 15 character capacity count

No issues with my Saiga 12.  The one in the video feeds fine and when my tax stamp is approved mine will be just like this one except for a chaos rail. 

https://evlutionz.com/saiga-12/

On 5/4/2017 at 5:26 PM, JT Custom Guns said:

According to the NJSP - they are classifying it as a pistol (need HG permit) until the AG

makes a final ruling................... Or so i am told.

?? this place is weird..

Update - Now, for not wanting to publicly post the FFL who told me this, but inquired about a pistol transfer to him yesterday as he's a bit closer to me than Steve @ Monmouth -

I asked about doing a transfer on a 590 Shockwave if I could win one off Gunbroker, and he told me verbatim "Not NJ legal - it is a short barreled shotgun which is a no-no" - I thought the whole point of the Raptor grip installed at the factory makes it a 26.5" AOW and non NFA?  There is even an ATF letter on the Mossberg website.

Sigh.  This will probably be one of my first purchases around Labor Day when I am settled in to my new digs in NC.

On ‎5‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 8:21 PM, Sevenshot said:

If you don't live in NJ, Bud's is starting to honor the wait list orders so they might have some in stock.

If you read Buds website they will not ship to NJ - probably because we are fucking retarded in this state, even though its legal - odd that also TX is also not being shipped the Shockwave, per Buds - Mossberg has everyone scratching their heads!

"I mean it LOOKS illegal, but is it??"

14 minutes ago, Maksim said:

So wait, is this NJ kosher or not?  Why is it not a "shotgun" ? 

It never had a stock attached at the factory so it is not a shotgun.  Read the AOW definition.

The pistol grip only Mossbergs that come in the tube (the ones that do NOT come with a shoulder stock), are AOW's, and not shotguns.  They have 18" barrels.  The raptor grip on the Shockwave, combined with the 14" barrel makes it 26.5" overall length - which is one of the requirements of an AOW (over 26") -

If you took the Shockwave's  raptor grip off, and put a pistol grip on it or a shoulder stock on it, you would now have an illegal short barrel shotgun and an NFA item.

They key is it never came with a shoulder stock and the overall length is over 26".

1 minute ago, Ricky_Bobby said:

It never had a stock attached at the factory so it is not a shotgun.  Read the AOW definition.

The pistol grip Mossbergs that come in the tube (the ones that do NOT come with a shoulder stock), are AOW's, and not shotguns.  They have 18" barrels.  The raptor grip on the Shockwave, combined with the 14" barrel makes it 26.5" overall length - which is one of the requirements of an AOW (over 26") -

If you took the Shockwave's  raptor grip off, and put a pistol grip on it or a shoulder stock on it, you would now have an illegal short barrel shotgun and an NFA item.

They key is it never came with a shoulder stock and the overall length is over 26".

So.... we live in NJ and we all suck for it and NJSP and AG make up crap as they go along. 

Yep - does this surprise you?  I was just appalled that an FFL in this state was trying to tell me that it was an SBS -

Its one thing to say "NJ AG hasn't ruled yet, waiting to hear", but if you don't know it meets the AOW definition that is not good.

I think you have your terms mixed up. This is not an AOW. An AOW (Any Other Weapon) is a Title II (NFA) classification for a firearm with a length less than 26" and a barrel less than 18".  The Shockwave is a Title I firearm because the length is over 26".

• Like 3

1 hour ago, PK90 said:

I think you have your terms mixed up. This is not an AOW. An AOW (Any Other Weapon) is a Title II (NFA) classification for a firearm with a length less than 26" and a barrel less than 18".  The Shockwave is a Title I firearm because the length is over 26".

Correct. Over 26", smoothbore/Shotgun barrel less than 18", a manual action, and has never had a shoulder stock attached to it. This is classified as a Firearm, not an AOW as per the Gun Control Act - just like those Black Aces shotguns.

http://www.mossberg.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/Shockwave-Letter-from-ATF-3-2-17.pdf

Keep in mind there are two definitions in play, the GCA and the NFA when classifying these weapons and they are Federal definitions. States can restrict them further - as NJ has done requiring a P2P to acquire one.

If the NJAG classifies it as an "Other Weapon" and a "firearm" per the NJ Statutes, then that would open the door for a Federal Title II "Any Other Weapon". 

Some here may remember, that as a NJ Dealer, I had legally acquired a few Mossberg AOWs  (14" barrel and <26" OAL) as I had an SOT. The NJSP made me get rid of them. They said that they would consider them as an SBS or a Destructive Device.