Ray Ray

590 Shockwave, NJ legal?

The legality is ridiculous.  I remember a few years ago a gun shop in my area sold a bunch of Benelli M4's with pistol grips.  A BUNCH.  They had to call the customers back to the shop and return the guns.  So, anything is possible. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, High Exposure said:

Correct. Over 26", smoothbore/Shotgun barrel less than 18", a manual action, and has never had a shoulder stock attached to it. This is classified as a Firearm, not an AOW as per the Gun Control Act - just like those Black Aces shotguns.

http://www.mossberg.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/Shockwave-Letter-from-ATF-3-2-17.pdf

Keep in mind there are two definitions in play, the GCA and the NFA when classifying these weapons and they are Federal definitions. States can restrict them further - as NJ has done requiring a P2P to acquire one.

Thank you yes I was a bit off - my point was that it is not a SBS -

On 5/18/2017 at 0:06 AM, High Exposure said:

NJSP has recently authorized the purchase of the Black Aces shotguns, categorized as a "Firearm" - no stock, 14" barrel, mag fed, manual action, over 26" in length. Their guidance to the purchaser and to the NJ FFL was to put it on a NJ P2P and treat it as a pistol.

unfort, its 3x the price of the Shockwave.  any new updates?

Nappen is wrong again.

THE ARTICLE SAYS:

"The 590® Shockwave is a “Destructive device” under NJ Gun Law because it is capable of firing a projectile greater than .60 Caliber (12 Gauge = .729 Caliber) and it is NOT a shotgun."

The statute actually reads greater than 60 caliber, not .60 caliber. 

"any weapon capable of firing a projectile of a caliber greater than 60 caliber, except a shotgun or shotgun ammunition generally recognized as suitable for sporting purposes".

He forgot the "or" part as bolded above. 

• Like 3

On 6/22/2017 at 5:06 PM, PK90 said:

Nappen is wrong again.

THE ARTICLE SAYS:

"The 590® Shockwave is a “Destructive device” under NJ Gun Law because it is capable of firing a projectile greater than .60 Caliber (12 Gauge = .729 Caliber) and it is NOT a shotgun."

"any weapon capable of firing a projectile of a caliber greater than 60 caliber, except a shotgun or shotgun ammunition generally recognized as suitable for sporting purposes".

So your interpretation of this is the part I highlighted in red would be a description of the type of weapon (one that can shoot shotgun ammo), rather than them saying the ammo itself - shotgun ammo - is not a destructive device?

In other words you would interpret this to say - any weapon capable of firing shotgun ammunition generally recognized as suitable for sporting purposes - is not a "destructive device", correct?

On 5/17/2017 at 3:28 PM, Maksim said:

So.... we live in NJ and we all suck for it and NJSP and AG make up crap as they go along. 

On 5/17/2017 at 10:31 PM, Oakridgefirearms said:

I was told the Shockwave is under review by the AG's office as to it's legality...............

On 5/18/2017 at 0:06 AM, High Exposure said:

NJSP has recently authorized the purchase of the Black Aces shotguns, categorized as a "Firearm" - no stock, 14" barrel, mag fed, manual action, over 26" in length. Their guidance to the purchaser and to the NJ FFL was to put it on a NJ P2P and treat it as a pistol.

The NJSP doesn't make decisions what is legal and illegal in NJ.  The AG's Office does this.  Remember the AO M1 carbines that a dealer sold after getting an okay by the NJSP?  He then had to get them all back.  

The AG's Office has been overstepping it's bounds in one respect IMO. They are anot executive branch.  The judicial branch is supposed to interpret laws. The AG has been legislating from the office on what they will and will not prosecute.  Now part of this is the gun laws in NJ which in some respects areally as clear as mud.  The legislature is too busy looking at bs laws rather than clear up ones already on the books. The latest I heard of is the release of helium balloons due to litter and they are ingested by sea turtles.  Now helium balloons are something NJ residents discuss daily.

• Like 1

On 6/23/2017 at 10:06 PM, Oakridgefirearms said:

In other words you would interpret this to say - any weapon capable of firing shotgun ammunition generally recognized as suitable for sporting purposes - is not a "destructive device", correct?

Yes

On 6/22/2017 at 5:06 PM, PK90 said:

Nappen is wrong again.

THE ARTICLE SAYS:

what caliber is a 20 gauge?

On 9/12/2017 at 6:35 PM, charleslee said:

So... can I get a definitive answer? Is it legal here? I'd like to get the Remington 870 Tac-14. Thanks. 

I bought the Tac 14.  It’s really nice to handle.  

Howell just announced he got the ok to sell the Shockwave in NJ as a rifle. No pistol permit needed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Rifle? [emoji12]

Sent from an undisclosed location via Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, bhunted said:

Howell just announced he got the ok to sell the Shockwave in NJ as a rifle. No pistol permit needed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Good news!

The AG's office must have tried to twist the law every which way but could find no reason to deny sales.