Ray Ray

590 Shockwave, NJ legal?

21 hours ago, raz-0 said:

OK, if the shockwave is cool and legit, why is nobody making a T2 style chopped down 1887 clone? 

AFAIK the 1887 copies are made in China or Italy. Only shotguns can be imported from China.  We can import handguns, shotguns, and rifles from Italy. I don't think the GCA68 has any provision for importing "firearms" like the Shockwave.

• Like 1

AFAIK the 1887 copies are made in China or Italy. Only shotguns can be imported from China.  We can import handguns, shotguns, and rifles from Italy. I don't think the GCA68 has any provision for importing "firearms" like the Shockwave.

Never mind. Just reread your post. Doh!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, Indianajonze said:

these 2a orgs seriously need to get off their asses and do what the left does so well: sue, sue, sue. SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

I don't know your level of involvement with 2A groups nor am I directing this at you, but it seems like there's a lot of finger pointing in the 2A community with people saying "they should do something."  Sure, we have numbers out there, but how many have done anything to further the cause beyond complaining and accusing others of not doing enough?

• Like 4

Just now, Scorpio64 said:

Nothing to tell.  Just lett'n y'all know what a shockwave would look like in a scabbard attached to a backpack.  I scrounged the pic off the Googles. Looks handy.

Agreed. That looks interesting.  guess i'm off to google.

1 hour ago, orangesolo said:

So like.. Do I have to keep the shockwave stock, or can I put Magpul stock on it..

The Shockwave  does not have a stock, it has a grip.  The moment you put a stock on it, it becomes a sawed off shotgun.  It is only through the special design of the grip that this thing is somehow legal. 

The OAL must remain 26" or greater. If you put a stock on, in order to fire it from the shoulder, you must install an 18" or greater barrel. IMO, you can install an arm brace and shorten the barrel even more, as it still remains a pistol-grip firearm.

Sent from an undisclosed location via Tapatalk

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, PK90 said:

The OAL must remain 26" or greater. If you put a stock on, in order to fire it from the shoulder, you must install an 18" or greater barrel. IMO, you can install an arm brace and shorten the barrel even more, as it still remains a pistol-grip firearm.

What about an arm brace?

6 hours ago, AlexTheSane said:

I don't know your level of involvement with 2A groups nor am I directing this at you, but it seems like there's a lot of finger pointing in the 2A community with people saying "they should do something."  Sure, we have numbers out there, but how many have done anything to further the cause beyond complaining and accusing others of not doing enough?

i give them a lot of money. also i call and email whatever elected official i can. finally, i'm a single issue voter

4 hours ago, PK90 said:

I agree with this to a point.  Install a stock and an 18" barrel and you made it a shotgun ( why would you want to do this?).  I don't know about shortening the barrel as then it is not in the configuration ATF approved it.

JMO

Some have talked about the Shockwave and using it for a trunk gun (legal if you have a FID) or using it to shoot trap at a WMA range.  I would restrain from using one for either purpose until there is more clarification.

Remember, NJ has said IT IS NOT A SHOTGUN.  Carrying a long gun in a vehicle with a FID is legal.  WMA ranges allow 22s, shotguns, and black powder AFAIK.  The Shockwave legally in NJ is none of these.

Whilst I am not known for being cautious I would exercise restraint and not screw up a good thing.

JMO

• Like 1

It has the cool factor, but unless you have access to an outdoor range good luck getting any use out of it.  GFH absolutely will not allow it...  so I'm definitely out.  Planning on picking up a 590A1 sooner or later...

If we’re allowed Firearms now, can we build 10.5” AR with a long brace (PDW?) and pin the brake to achieve over 26”? Would this be legal?
IMO, yes. But you only gain a 4" shorter firearm than a rifle, so why?
  • Like 2