Ray Ray

590 Shockwave, NJ legal?

32 minutes ago, Purple Patrick said:

@Ray Ray [mention=7242]sota[/mention]

I might get this

http://www.beezcombatsystems.com/Short-Barrel-Scabbard-BCS-SBS.htm?categoryId=-1

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

It's kind of a one trick pony.  I want something that I can carry the gun around in.  If I wear that outside, the neighborhood would go bananas.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ray Ray said:

It's kind of a one trick pony.  I want something that I can carry the gun around in.  If I wear that outside, the neighborhood would go bananas.

I found a tripod bag I had that is the perfect size for mine.  Holds gun, spare ammo, sling.

It even say tripod on the outside.

• Like 2

Got pretty much done with it... shy of two things.

JsdmBzi.jpg

E5oJLMb.jpg

Not really visible is the stainless follower and Volquartsen extractor. Got two of the Magpul hand stop kits to create that one, put a rail on the forend (for a TLR-1; fits great with the hand inside the stops), and a TacStar sidesaddle (I like them a little better than the other options out there).

The next thing I’m doing is probably sending the barrel out to Rose Action Sports, and have it threaded for Remington chokes. Might have him polish the chamber, as well.

Second thing will be plating the entire gun. Have a request to CCR to see if they can do it, but Robar will be the second option (they are expensive).

Was thinking about having the dimples removed and adding a +1 extension... but to be honest, I rather keep the standard setup.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Screwball said:

Got pretty much done with it... shy of two things.

JsdmBzi.jpg

E5oJLMb.jpg
Was thinking about having the dimples removed and adding a +1 extension... but to be honest, I rather keep the standard setup.

5+1 is better than 4 +1.  This is even more prevalent in a low capacity firearm such as this.  Get the +1  

Not to mention defensive shotguns look funny to me when the extension tube isn't as far as the barrel.

5+1 is better than 4 +1.  This is even more prevalent in a low capacity firearm such as this.  Get the +1  
Not to mention defensive shotguns look funny to me when the extension tube isn't as far as the barrel.

How does the extension stay tighten down? The original uses the retainer for the magazine, but older designs use the detent that isn’t present in the barrel. I saw some write ups on adding the detent... doesn’t look fun.

You have any recommendations of a gunsmith that does the dimple remove without it screwing up the tube?

For the tube/barrel length, doesn’t look bad on my Ithaca...

nxZL2ZF.jpg

Also, the 20 gauge is for women or millennial males.  The 12 gauge is for men.

Was that directed to me? Because it is a 12 Gauge...

12 minutes ago, Screwball said:

How does the extension stay tighten down? The original uses the retainer for the magazine, but older designs use the detent that isn’t present in the barrel. I saw some write ups on adding the detent... doesn’t look fun.

You have any recommendations of a gunsmith that does the dimple remove without it screwing up the tube?

For the tube/barrel length, doesn’t look bad on my Ithaca...

nxZL2ZF.jpg

Was that directed to me? Because it is a 12 Gauge...

I don't remember how Remington does their extensions, I run Mossbergs which is a better design.

That Ithaca, although pretty and functional, is outdated. 

No, it was directed to those buying 20 gauges.

I don't remember how Remington does their extensions, I run Mossbergs which is a better design.
That Ithaca, although pretty and functional, is outdated.

Roger that... continue with your Mossberg circle jerk. [emoji6]

I had a JIC2 500, which I sold unfired. Not a fan of the controls compared to the 870. The only difference between the 500 and the 590 was Mossberg going to a barrel/tube design closer towards the 870. Yep... superior design. [emoji106]

3 hours ago, Screwball said:

Roger that... continue with your Mossberg circle jerk. emoji6.png

I had a JIC2 500, which I sold unfired. Not a fan of the controls compared to the 870. The only difference between the 500 and the 590 was Mossberg going to a barrel/tube design closer towards the 870. Yep... superior design. emoji106.png

I gotta admit. not a big fan of he shockwave's position for the slide release, but that's because I'm an 870 all the way kinda guy,  The position is alien to me.  But, I do like the trigger on the shockwave better than my mid 1980's 870.  The 870 trigger is heavier but breaks clean, while the shockwave has a certain amount of take up  then breaks nice at a lesser pull weight.  Almost feels like a two stage.....  almost.

12 hours ago, Screwball said:

Roger that... continue with your Mossberg circle jerk. emoji6.png

I had a JIC2 500, which I sold unfired. Not a fan of the controls compared to the 870. The only difference between the 500 and the 590 was Mossberg going to a barrel/tube design closer towards the 870. Yep... superior design. emoji106.png

Ambi safety, slide release easy to activate for a southpaw.  When your ejector breaks, good luck fixing it. Military contract winner, heavy walled barrel.  Oh, and its not a Remington which means it works. 

I drank the Mossy Kool-Aide when my brand new Remington 870 died and @Caine 500 ran like a champ.  

Ambi safety, slide release easy to activate for a southpaw.  When your ejector breaks, good luck fixing it. Military contract winner, heavy walled barrel.  Oh, and its not a Remington which means it works. 

I drank the Mossy Kool-Aide when my brand new Remington 870 died and [mention=1409]Caine[/mention] 500 ran like a champ.

Yep, that 10% of the population is a huge concern for me... oh wait, I’m righty. [emoji6]Honestly, never had an issue running an 870 with my weak hand... anymore than running any other firearm with my weak hand. With the grip on these (Shockwave, TAC 14), don’t think I’d want the Mossberg safety.

Ejector? How many actually have broken one? And if it does, Remington can fix it (and will).

I do love the military contract winner point... being it was the only entry. Remington wasn’t interested, as they knew Mossberg was going to underbid them. The 870 has plenty of military service even without being in that contract (prior to the trials, and afterwards), and are used in many Federal agencies (CBP, which is the largest Federal L/E agency; USCG; FBI; I believe still in use with the Navy and Air Force).

For the Remington company comment, they aren’t the company they were years back, but if you look over the gun, you shouldn’t have an issue. In the event that you do, send it back just like any other major manufacturer

Maybe I don’t see it, but if you are arguing quality is so much better with Mossberg than Remington... I guess the bead threads consistently protruding into the barrel is their mark. Never saw a crappy 870 barrel to that point.

Come on Ray Ray... you are slipping. Completely missed the dual extractors point. [emoji107]

Note to anyone reading, above is all in good fun. [emoji6] Got to joke about these type of threads, since it is a Chevy/Ford, paper/plastic, etc.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PK90 said:

If Ray was a righty, instead of a wrongy, he would be a Remington person.

I was an 870 guy, until mine decided it didn't want pump anymore.  

In reality, a higher end 870 is fine.  It's their lower end options that lack reliability.