Ray Ray

590 Shockwave, NJ legal?

295 posts in this topic

17 minutes ago, JT Custom Guns said:

They both shoot about the same, except the mossy has a hand strap which 

some like and some don't.......

4 screws will take the strap off luckily.  personally I wish the strap was tighter so it felt like it was helping hold the firearm in my hand.  Has me thinking that some kind of molded "glove" deal or maybe 4 finger holes affixed to the guard would be a neat idea. 

Word of caution with short barreled weapons - it’s easy get your hand in front of the muzzle. Especially on a weapon that has a manual action that works like pump shotgun. The strap is there for a very good reason, I wouldn’t cut it off. If you have the Remington version, do yourself a favor and get a hand stop.

6 people like this

2 hours ago, PK90 said:
2 hours ago, stuckinNJ said:
If we’re allowed Firearms now, can we build 10.5” AR with a long brace (PDW?) and pin the brake to achieve over 26”? Would this be legal?

IMO, yes. But you only gain a 4" shorter firearm than a rifle, so why?

So I can pretend I have an AR pistol :(

12 minutes ago, Ray Ray said:

So If I walked in with a shockwave I will be asked to leave?  Why?

Probably not to leave, but not to shoot that weapon.

You seriously don’t see an issue shooting one of these indoors? 

I envision a lot of pellets going where they aren’t supposed to and a lot of hurt wrists, noses, eyes, and cheeks.

2 people like this

1 hour ago, High Exposure said:

Word of caution with short barreled weapons - it’s easy get your hand in front of the muzzle. Especially on a weapon that has a manual action that works like pump shotgun. The strap is there for a very good reason, I wouldn’t cut it off. If you have the Remington version, do yourself a favor and get a hand stop.

I was thinking if I got a Shockwave that I'd replace the strap with a hand stop.  Overall, I like the Shockwave more than the Remmy but I think Remington was smart to go with a Magpul fore end.

55 minutes ago, Ray Ray said:

So If I walked in with a shockwave I will be asked to leave?  Why?

Lol yes you'll be dragged out by those in red polos

Maybe some ranges would allow it?  Couldn't imagine anyone that would though

When I was texas 2 months ago the indoor range I took my boss to had private lanes with almost no restrictions and no time limit for 1 flat fee.  Wish we had that.  Rentals and ammo were dirt cheap too.  

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, High Exposure said:

Totally agree - Good Advice!

The strap on the Mossy can be shortened for a tighter grip; just be careful to reattach the screws properly to avoid a future failure....

3 hours ago, High Exposure said:

Probably not to leave, but not to shoot that weapon.

You seriously don’t see an issue shooting one of these indoors? 

I envision a lot of pellets going where they aren’t supposed to and a lot of hurt wrists, noses, eyes, and cheeks.

I stand corrected, as indoor ranges up here tend to attract questionable shooters.

3 minutes ago, Ray Ray said:

I stand corrected, as indoor ranges up here tend to attract questionable shooters.

Tell me about it. You NEVER went to Ray's on the weekends.  Every other car had NY plates, and they were shooting up the walls and ceilings.

Re: GFH.

Anthony has always limited certain shotgun ammo. From day one, no birdshot has been the biggest no no. But people do not listen and if caught, say by by. You use to see scatter on the ceilings. If you look at the hooks for the targets, they are partially cardboard with clips to hold them. They are replaced regularly because people pepper them too.

So, can you really imagine some fruit-loop with a Shockwave? The ROs are excellent. But I wouldn’t want to find out the hard way.

No matter how good a range or its people are, some idiot always seems to get through, as proof with the last deadly incident that ranges get stuck dealing with.

The hand is quicker than the eye!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, sota said:

Tell me about it. You NEVER went to Ray's on the weekends.  Every other car had NY plates, and they were shooting up the walls and ceilings.

Bullet hole has the same issues.  Yeah, it's an outdoor only gun. Kinda like ARs and AKs should be too.

1 person likes this

The biggest issue I have with these new scatterguns is folks get so enthralled in the "Wow Factor" they don't bother warming-up with low brass and instead go straight to high brass.  So SOME common sense is thrown out the window, and injuries will result (as H.E. stated).  Not everybody is used to shooting a 12 ga. strong hand only like I am.  A 3 Dram load is my "comfort limit", but I have no trouble with 3 1/4 Dram with my Winchester Featherweight pump.  I think it a bit foolish to do buckshot or MAX DRAM 1 oz foster slugs with just strong hand OR with two sweaty hand(s) let alone one.  Hickock 45 put grip tape on his for better control and he has YUGE bear paws for hands to begin with!  I foresee a YUGE market in used Shockwaves in a few months.  Some will even be in unfired condition due to range restrictions mentioned above^^^.  If you aren't practiced being comfortable shooting a 12 ga. pump strong hand only I would seriously consider shooting a friends or renting one before plunking down $400 for a curiosity piece.  That's IF you can find a private club that will allow it...