Ray Ray

590 Shockwave, NJ legal?

I didn’t hit the range but blasted a couple jugs in my friends yard. The recoil isn’t a bad as I thought. You can shoot it one handed. 10-15 feet away it shoots a paper plate size spread. I’m very happy with it. It’s really a fun gun. I’m gonna go to the range and take pics of the spread at different distances

(I was using Winchester military buck shot)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Shawnmoore81 said:

I didn’t hit the range but blasted a couple jugs in my friends yard. The recoil isn’t a bad as I thought. You can shoot it one handed. 10-15 feet away it shoots a paper plate size spread. I’m very happy with it. It’s really a fun gun. I’m gonna go to the range and take pics of the spread at different distances

Seen a couple of videos where they compared different types of buckshot in the shockwave.  The one with control flight wads performed extremely well.  12" patterns at 25 yards fist size pattern at 7 yards.

40 minutes ago, Shawnmoore81 said:

I read a review of the Shockwave (American Rifleman?)  where they found a wide dispersion of shot patterns depending on the shell at 7 yds.  IIRC, skeet loads were about a 12" pattern and low recoil 00 buck was about 3". This is contrary to the expected 1" per yard expected with a cylinder bore.

Shawn, try some low recoil 00 and you may tighten up those groups.  You can make that Shockwave effective to 20-25 yards if you do.  You're not losing much if anything due to the short barrel.  Most things you shoot with low recoil 00 will swear they got hot with full power 00.

1 hour ago, Shawnmoore81 said:

Winchester military buckshot has lots of recoil, patterns like crap out of all my Mossbergs and the metal on the shells will rust over time.  

So, I just picked up mine.  The barrel is very thick walled, seems like it can take some abuse.  The slide is a little sticky, hopefully that will smooth out with some use.  If not, I'll have to break out the Dremel and see what contact surfaces can be polished.  The slide release is alien to me as I'm an 870 guy.  I keep pressing where there is no slide release.  duur... AT least the trigger is in the right place.

• Like 2

Somebody at Mossberg is making BANK.  Here is how the conversation went at the development table.

One dude or lady:  Hey, you know if we use a longer pistol grip on a shotgun we can shorten the barrel and it wouldn't need a tax stamp.

Everyone else:  No!  Nobody likes pistol griped shotguns!  They are painful, uncontrollable and can't be aimed.  Too many people are getting their teeth knocked out and converting them to standard shotguns.  With that new grip, it cannot be converted and the used market will be aplenty.  We won't make any money.

One dude or lady:  Let's just try it out.

Everyone else:  Fine, but don't say we didn't warn you.

6 months later and that one dude or lady is now in charge of research and development and everyone else works for that one dude or lady. 

True story

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Achilles said:

Who’s the manufacturer of the shot gun and what model? :)

Remington 870 Pistol-Grip Firearm 
12.8" Barrel and 31.2" OAL 
Ergo Tactical Stock Adapter 
SB Tactical SOB Brace 
Ergo Tactical Deluxe Sure Grip 
Hogue Tamer Rubber Forend 
Tacstar Side Saddle Shell Carrier 
Tru-Glo Brite-Site TFO

22 hours ago, PK90 said:

Remington 870 Pistol-Grip Firearm 
12.8" Barrel and 31.2" OAL 
Ergo Tactical Stock Adapter