Ray Ray

590 Shockwave, NJ legal?

5+1 is better than 4 +1.  This is even more prevalent in a low capacity firearm such as this.  Get the +1

Ray Ray... you are a bad influence. [emoji107]

$50 to Wilson Combat for a +1 extension (they had it listed as out of stock, but shipped today; don’t like the large sling loops, so the swivel stud on the end of the extension).

$45 to Brownell’s for the tube swage and a 1” scope ring (to fit around the dimples so it doesn’t deform the tube).

I guess the bright side is that the TacStar sidesaddle will have a complete reload now, instead of a reload and an extra round (was debating on tossing a slug in the mix).
  • Like 1

@Screwball, add a 5 round box of Federal low recoil 00 Buck and call it a day.  Unless you want a light.  Well, you NEED a light.

I'd say get the OpSol mini shell adaptor but the Remington can't use it.  Although I heard of the company working on a product for this issue.

10 minutes ago, Ray Ray said:

@Screwball, ........

I'd say get the OpSol mini shell adaptor but the Remington can't use it.  Although I heard of the company working on a product for this issue.

Bet you could accomplish the same thing with a trimmed cork from a wine bottle.

[mention=4929]Screwball[/mention], add a 5 round box of Federal low recoil 00 Buck and call it a day.  Unless you want a light.  Well, you NEED a light.

I already have a few boxes of that (have a few Remington Reduced Recoil 00), but also have a couple boxes of Remington Managed Recoil Sluggers.

If you look at the second picture (last set I posted of the TAC-14), you’ll see a rail on the forend. That’s for the light. I have a couple TLR-1s... just not mounting it until I’m done with the work. Hard to store in the safe with the light on.

What’s the name of the company doing it for the Remington? I’m not that interested in Mini-Shells... but would pick some up for poops and giggles with the adapter (if it ever is released). I think the KSG can use them, and likely the Ithaca... but I’d be more interested with them in the TAC-14.

39 minutes ago, Scorpio64 said:

Bet you could accomplish the same thing with a trimmed cork from a wine bottle.

It's like 15 bucks, I'll skip the ghetto gunsmith for less than a 20 spot. 

1 minute ago, Screwball said:

I already have a few boxes of that (have a few Remington Reduced Recoil 00), but also have a couple boxes of Remington Managed Recoil Sluggers.

If you look at the second picture (last set I posted of the TAC-14), you’ll see a rail on the forend. That’s for the light. I have a couple TLR-1s... just not mounting it until I’m done with the work. Hard to store in the safe with the light on.

What’s the name of the company doing it for the Remington? 

I do not know the name, I believe it's the same company.  Be aware that when you mount a light to that forend, if you forget to hold on or hold incorrectly the light will smack your thumb.  It hurts.  I personally do not like the magpul forend but it's just my opinion. 

I do not know the name, I believe it's the same company.  Be aware that when you mount a light to that forend, if you forget to hold on or hold incorrectly the light will smack your thumb.  It hurts.  I personally do not like the magpul forend but it's just my opinion.

I know they (company doing it for the Mossberg... forget their name, as well) tried, but did say they stopped research into it. Hope they are doing one, being it is options for shooters.

That is how I run a light on my 870 Police. Never had an issue. With the handstops (on the TAC-14), hand is forced to be in the right position and moves with recoil. I was considering using the smaller sections from the handstops (needed two kits to get what I have) on my shotgun... but it isn’t an MLOK version of the forend.

I wasn’t a fan of the Magpul forend on the TAC-14, and was going to get wood for it (grip and forend). But can’t beat the flexibility of mounting stuff to the gun, without something like the Streamlight (if I remember correctly) rail adapter that fits between the barrel nut and barrel.
  • Like 1

[mention=4929]Screwball[/mention], try the Hogue forend.  It's grippy, comfy and solid.  The only issue is that you cannot mount a light to it.

Had one on my 500 that I sold... light being on the gun is a positive that I wouldn’t want to lose.

But if I didn’t need a light, the Hogue forend and Tamer grip are very comfortable. Reason why I put them on mine.

1 hour ago, Ray Ray said:

It's like 15 bucks, I'll skip the ghetto gunsmith for less than a 20 spot. 

1 hour ago, Ray Ray said:

'd say get the OpSol mini shell adaptor but the Remington can't use it.

How can you throw a 20 at something that does not exist?  btw, most innovations come from hackers, not computer hackers but people who think like engineers and have a need and design something simple and free, or cheap, to fill that need.  It's a win-win.  you get to drink a bottle of wine and also not have your mini shells flipping around on you.  git 'er done.

Ray Ray... you are a bad influence. [emoji107]

Got my package from Brownell’s today...

Removing the detents with the XS swage was actually extremely easy. Grease the swage and portion of the magazine tube that will be utilized... and hammer it in. I got a cheap scope ring, which I used, but was causing the swage to get hung up at that point. Removed it, and went down to the shoulder. 1/4” brass punch to peen the detents, and the swage pulled out.

Cleaned all the grease out of the tube, and you can see where they were, just barely feeling them with your finger. Took my stainless follower and spun it a few times around the dimple area... no issue. Did the same with the retainer, and nothing caught it. Being the extension should be here tomorrow, I just put the stock system back in and tightened the barrel nut down. I may take a Dremel to the inside to clean up the dimples, but if there isn’t any issue loading/unloading, might just leave it until I get it refinished. Outside looks normal.
  • Like 1

mP4GNTs.jpg

CmftpAt.jpg

Went together like the stock parts. Did use the included wave washer, which really keeps the extension from moving. No issues loading or unloading, so thinking it is good (real test is at the range). Put in the Wilson spring, but kept in the stainless follower. When I sent the Wilson follower down the tube, it jammed in the magazine opening, which is one of the things I upgrade on my Remingtons. Had an 11-87 with stock polymer follower that hung up in cold weather, making it close to impossible to load the magazine.

I’m thinking about a GG&G rear QD sling plate to fit between the grip/receiver (will make gun slightly longer, so no issue), but not doing anything that will use a front sling mount. Stud is right in front of the muzzle, and I’m not looking to shoot off a sling. It is small enough that a single point is good enough... if I decide to go that route. Was considering to yank the stud off (C clamp, then falls out the inside), but then I’ll have a hole that size at the end of the tube.

BoJTNRZ.jpg

How it will run with TLR-1.

• Like 2

Screwball most jus dremel the notches. You swaged then dremel?

Nope... didn’t need to Dremel.

Swage, peened with brass punch, and was good enough that the follower didn’t hesitate at all when it went down the tube. Nor is there any interference in loading/unloading. I might mess with it when the barrel goes out for threading, but doubt there is any need to prior to plating.

For the price of the swage, it is a nice tool to have. I might never need to do it again, but don’t have to buy it again if I want to add an extension to another 870.

30 minutes ago, Screwball said:

Nope... didn’t need to Dremel.

Swage, peened with brass punch, and was good enough that the follower didn’t hesitate at all when it went down the tube. Nor is there any interference in loading/unloading. I might mess with it when the barrel goes out for threading, but doubt there is any need to prior to plating.

For the price of the swage, it is a nice tool to have. I might never need to do it again, but don’t have to buy it again if I want to add an extension to another 870.

Interesting 

@Screwball, would you prefer a strap on the forend or is that setup perfect for you?

I really like your setup.  GG&G single point sling adapter OR use the stud on the end of the grip.  I feel the single point sling is a must for this gun. 

Screwball, would you prefer a strap on the forend or is that setup perfect for you?
I really like your setup.  GG&G single point sling adapter OR use the stud on the end of the grip.  I feel the single point sling is a must for this gun.

I was looking at a strap, but personally, rather not have my hand restrained to the forend like that. The Magpul setup, fits perfectly around my hand, and is kind of usable shooting with my weak hand (right hand as support). Good position for the light, so I’m happy with it.

The TAC-14 doesn’t have a stud on the grip, so either add one (not a fan of) or go with a sling adapter. Leaning towards the latter... but got to think it through.

With the TacStar sidesaddle, the plate comes back to like 1/4” to 3/8” from the edge of the receiver, at the point the QD mount will be located. From what I saw online, it seems that the socket for the mount favors the receiver side. Probably going to be an issue there.

Sling will be a Magpul, either MS3 or MS4. I prefer the QD mounts, so it would be a MS4, and possibly modifying the sidesaddle plate to fit (shouldn’t be hard, just Dremel a relief around the socket). Other option would be a MS3, then a Midwest Industries plate, which accepts HK clips (like 90% sure the Magpul para-clips work with it). That would be no modification, since it is inline with the plate.
  • Like 1

Damn @Screwball, you really thought this through.  I'm doing the complete opposite, KISS.  Although I will probably end up doing a GG&G rail adaptor and some sort of single point sling set up.  Thanks for sharing

16 hours ago, Screwball said:

I was looking at a strap, but personally, rather not have my hand restrained to the forend like that. The Magpul setup, fits perfectly around my hand, and is kind of usable shooting with my weak hand (right hand as support). Good position for the light, so I’m happy with it.

The TAC-14 doesn’t have a stud on the grip, so either add one (not a fan of) or go with a sling adapter. Leaning towards the latter... but got to think it through.

With the TacStar sidesaddle, the plate comes back to like 1/4” to 3/8” from the edge of the receiver, at the point the QD mount will be located. From what I saw online, it seems that the socket for the mount favors the receiver side. Probably going to be an issue there.

Sling will be a Magpul, either MS3 or MS4. I prefer the QD mounts, so it would be a MS4, and possibly modifying the sidesaddle plate to fit (shouldn’t be hard, just Dremel a relief around the socket). Other option would be a MS3, then a Midwest Industries plate, which accepts HK clips (like 90% sure the Magpul para-clips work with it). That would be no modification, since it is inline with the plate.

Be careful picking plates that work with HK/mash clips and guessing they will work with Paraclips. I did the same thing when trying to build a sling system for my 2 AR's and found that most of them DO NOT work with the Para-clips. I tried the GG&G, and the one from Yankee Hill. I ended up returning all the stuff and the MS3 and getting a MS4 and using all QD stuff, which was hard but not impossible on my 9mm AR with a A2 stock and PRI gasbuster handle (Troy makes a mount that is hard to find and I believe discontinued, but still available.) I plan on getting a TAC-14 when the detachable magazine ones are available, was slightly interested in one before, but now I am actually going to buy as the round count is no longer an issue. I will get a QD single point attachment so I can use my sling on this as well, not sure which yet.......

Does that work with the side saddle?

Not the TacStar... GG&G does make a sidesaddle with a QD integrated. But I prefer TacStar, and want the sixth round. Getting the +1, rather have a full reload on the gun.

I did see a few other plates that do ambidextrous QD, and look to favor the grip side... but rather just the one side. Have to really look, and check reviews on the options out there.
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Screwball said:

That’s the plate I’m looking at for my Remington...

I use the same one for my 500, but I don't know if it would smack my knuckles or slide into my hand and cut it.   It might actually be the best option for a single point sling.

I use the same one for my 500, but I don't know if it would smack my knuckles or slide into my hand and cut it.   It might actually be the best option for a single point sling.

Would you be able to take a picture of it for me? Just wanted to see clearance on the receiver from the side edge (looking up from trigger guard). Would help a lot for me to see if any or how much work would be needed on the sidesaddle.

Figure the style should be similar between the Remington and Mossberg.