Sign in to follow this  
MartyZ

Do I need a new barrel?

Ok, so I have a USP 45 (polygonal bore) with countless thousands of rounds thru it. I was cleaning it last week and noticed that the .45 bore brush went thru the barrel with absolutely no effort, I ended up having to clean it with a .50 bore brush, which went thru the barrel with little effort. The gun still shoots pretty accurately, but i'm afraid I am soon going to end up with a semi-auto musket.

So the first question. Do I need a new barrel?

If I do need a new barrel, is there any benefit to getting the threaded barrel which also has the o-ring? And will the o-ring work with the standard USP 45? 

Are both brushes well used?  You shouldn't be able to tell the difference even with a slightly shot out barrel by feel with a brush.  If it aint broke don't fix it.  How many is countless thousands?  5-10k or 50-100k?  If the latter, it's possible.  If the former, i doubt it especially with polygonal rifled bore.

If it shoots accurately, then the barrel is fine. The few thousandths that might be lost in the rifling wouldn't ever be felt in a bore brush.

The frame and slide of your HK will crack before you wear out the barrel from shooting.

Thanks guys, i just got worried when the bore brush was moving so easily. Believe me, i don't want to spend $250 on a new barrel, i can put that money to better use. But i also want a 100% functioning gun, that's why i asked. Thanks again for the replies.

FWIW, I remember Skeeter Skelton trying to do a destructive test on a LE Colt Commander. IIRC, he found the gun more accurate after about 10,000 rounds.

I have a Combat Commander (steel frame) with probably 20,000+ rounds thru it. I must note that probably 80-90% of that has been lead bullets at 900-1000 fps. At 15k rounds or there about had the innards redone as the hammer was falling to half cock (only new part was a sear). Replaced the springs. Not because the gun was malfunctioning. Figured it made sense after 25+ years. So much for "needing" to replace springs after so many rounds.

I bought that gun used in 1975 and still shoot it. It was my duty gun for about 20vyears.

Each gun is unique and what happens to one gun is no indication what may happen to another.

Handguns dont wear like rifle barrels with a few exceptions (think 460s&w). Velocity is low and powder volume burning is low compared to rifles. Not sure if the USP is polygonal rifling. If so that may be the reason the bore brush feels a bit loose.

I have a S&W Model 41 where the bolt and the breech face show so much wear by being pounded by at least 50,000 rounds of .22 rimfire, to the point where S&W has recommended replacing the barrel and bolt.

The rifling still looks perfect.