Sign in to follow this  
CyclingCraig

Looking at XD Mod.2 Tactical (5") 9mm

Hi all

Looking to get another pistol and I want to buy new.  Currently the top of my list is the XD Mod.2 Tactical (5").

Primary use would be range fun and I just started doing some IDPA.

This pistol would be my main choice for IDPA (That is why I wanted a 5" barrel).  I have other things for nightstand/HD so this one would be as a backup to have around but mostly fun.

I wanted a 5" for longer sight radius, less flip (More weight out front) and overall greater accuracy. (BTW all my firearms are MUCH more accurate than my eyes will ever be, but looking for any advantage I can get)

I can't afford a 1911 right now, so that is not in play.  I looked at the Glock 43 and Glocks just don't fit me well.  The M&P M2.0 just came out. I have an M&P now, but not sure I want the same pistol just with a longer barrel??  Change things up / Variety is fun.

So anyone out there with the XD Mod.2 Tactical?

Is the PRP trigger necessary (Currently use to APEX in my M&P)?

Thanks

This pistol would be my main choice for IDPA (That is why I wanted a 5" barrel).  I have other things for nightstand/HD so this one would be as a backup to have around but mostly fun.

I wanted a 5" for longer sight radius, less flip (More weight out front) and overall greater accuracy. 

Why not the XD(m) 5.25" 9mm?

http://www.springfield-armory.com/products/xdm-competition-series-9mm/

• Like 1

The 9mm will have to be purchased with 10 round mags, not 16. The .45 version comes with 13 round mags. Just a note.

We recently purchased a XD Mod.2 .45 Sub Compact. We both shoot it well and like the trigger.

But there is one issue. The mag release is hard to work; almost impossible for my wife. It's not the button itself; that's floating freely in its shaft. It's the operation of the mag catch; it seems to be binding, and/or the spring is way over powered. You might want to check that aspect out before purchase.

I haven't gone to SA customer service yet about this, but I definitely will be.

Part of the reason is the increased cost... adds close to $150 to the price tag.

Also, I have small hands (I know where that one goes) and the grip on the Mod.2 seem much thinner and better for my hand and trigger reach.

The 9mm will have to be purchased with 10 round mags, not 16. The .45 version comes with 13 round mags. Just a note.

I plan to order through a local place that can do compliance work, order with the 16's plus extra ones and have them pin them to 15 for me

FWIW, I have the XD Mod.2 subcompact that I carry when I'm out of state, and I love it.  I've eyed the full-sized model, but I'm trying

to take a break from buying new guns.  Plus, I have a Glock 34, and I suspect they are fairly similar.  

That extra $150 gets you a match grade barrel. So I'd think it worth the extra coin if you plan on shooting IDPA.

Also, the grip on the XD mod2 in 9mm is actually .02" wider than that of the XDM. A nominal difference, but the opposite of what you were expecting. The mod2 only has a narrower grip than the xdm when it's chambered in 45 acp.

• Like 1

Thanks for everyone's input, but now you guys are making me look at Performance Center M&P and the SA Comp ...

After seeing Hailess_Ape above post I looked again at the XDM 5.25 Comp, then my head was like,, at this point throw in the Performance Center M&P with the HiViz sights and ported barrel!! Uhhhh

I have no idea what to do now!

What do they say "Cry Once" ???

But there is one issue. The mag release is hard to work; almost impossible for my wife. It's not the button itself; that's floating freely in its shaft. It's the operation of the mag catch; it seems to be binding, and/or the spring is way over powered. You might want to check that aspect out before purchase.

I haven't gone to SA customer service yet about this, but I definitely will be.

Is that with a full mag or empty? My XD-45 and my XDm have the same thing with a full mag and the slide forward. The pressure of the rounds pushing against the slide makes it hard for the mag release to operate because of its design. The tab that catches the lip on the front of the mag is pivoted at the bottom so it actually rises slightly to release the mag. This means the mag has to rise too and under the full pressure of the mag spring when fully loaded makes that hard.

Is that with a full mag or empty? My XD-45 and my XDm have the same thing with a full mag and the slide forward. The pressure of the rounds pushing against the slide makes it hard for the mag release to operate because of its design. The tab that catches the lip on the front of the mag is pivoted at the bottom so it actually rises slightly to release the mag. This means the mag has to rise too and under the full pressure of the mag spring when fully loaded makes that hard.

Empty mag, no round in the chamber. If you remove the slide and depress the mag catch with your finger taking the spring pressure off the button, the release button slides freely in it's channel. When I watch the mag catch while depressing the mag release button either left or right, I can see the mag catch drifting on the pin, and apparently binding against the plastic frame on either the left or right side, depending on which side of the button you press. If you press the button either way slowly, you can feel it 'binding' against the plastic frame, stuttering as it goes.

With a full mag and round in the chamber of course would make it worse.

Ding-a-ling-a-ling... Hello... SA Customer service?

• Like 1

Well, before I go through the whole CS thing, I'm going to give it a go myself. After looking at it as closely as I can without taking it out, it really has one or both of two things.

The edges of the mag catch are definitely rubbing on the polymer frame as I previously described. Those edges may need polishing.

The spring may be just too strong, which could contribute to the binding, or just require too much of a push. So I've ordered two reduced power springs from Powder River Precision.

The deciding factor was a video I found where someone showed how he used a homemade slave pin to skirt most of the reassembly difficulty.

I'll post up how I make out in a week to 10 days. If I don't go insane trying to reassemble it.

Edit: OK, it's a late game start today. So I pulled the locking block and trigger out to get in close to the mag catch etc. Applied some Mil-Comm TW-25 as best I could to the friction surfaces without removing the assembly. I'd say that cured 60 to 70% of the grittiness. Now at least when I hit the button I'm sure the mag will drop. Still going to carry on with the above though, when the parts arrive.

Well, thanks everyone for the feedback.

I ended up going for the XD Mod.2 Tactical 5" after much self debate about the XDM and the new M&P M2's....  I just really liked the price point, features and looks of the Mod.2

I can't pick it up for another 2 weeks or so (30 day window). But as soon as I get it to the range, I will post my initial thoughts.

A little late to the party, but I own an XDm 4.5 in 45acp and I previously owned the XD Tactical in 45acp. I would have suggested the XDm based on the trigger and barrel, but the XD Mod2 will serve you well. Good luck sir

Well, thanks everyone for the feedback.

I ended up going for the XD Mod.2 Tactical 5" after much self debate about the XDM and the new M&P M2's....  I just really liked the price point, features and looks of the Mod.2

I can't pick it up for another 2 weeks or so (30 day window). But as soon as I get it to the range, I will post my initial thoughts.

Make sure you check this out!

http://www.springfieldpromo.com/

• Like 2

Well I finally got to the range with the new XD.

I didn't really do any REAL testing with it, more of playing for the first time out.  My plan is next time I will bench rest it and check accuracy and grouping.

But for now.. .I REALLY REALLY like this pistol!  The new Grip Zone Ad on the grip is kinda corny, but man does it fit my hand well.  I have small hands (Add comments here..) and with the XD, the trigger reach is MUCH shorter than other pistols I have shot, which helps a ton.

For just playing around and quick group checks it shot awesome for me.  Stock trigger take up is LONG but break is OK, will have to see after things break in a little.  I dare say, I am doing better with it already than my M&P 4.25" with the APEX trigger in it, but more time needed for a better conclusion.

Overall very happy with the purchase.  but I am sure I also would have been happy with any of my other choices.

Let me know if anyone has questions they might want to know about it.

-Craig

• Like 3

On 2/28/2017 at 9:48 AM, CyclingCraig said:

Well I finally got to the range with the new XD.

I didn't really do any REAL testing with it, more of playing for the first time out.  My plan is next time I will bench rest it and check accuracy and grouping.

But for now.. .I REALLY REALLY like this pistol!  The new Grip Zone Ad on the grip is kinda corny, but man does it fit my hand well.  I have small hands (Add comments here..) and with the XD, the trigger reach is MUCH shorter than other pistols I have shot, which helps a ton.

For just playing around and quick group checks it shot awesome for me.  Stock trigger take up is LONG but break is OK, will have to see after things break in a little.  I dare say, I am doing better with it already than my M&P 4.25" with the APEX trigger in it, but more time needed for a better conclusion.

Overall very happy with the purchase.  but I am sure I also would have been happy with any of my other choices.

Let me know if anyone has questions they might want to know about it.

-Craig

Still love the gun?

I'm in a similar debate as you on a nice 5" range gun..... see my thread HERE if you have any new insight to add. Thanks!