Howard

Which 55" 4K TV? Samsung or LG H-E-L-P

Need some help choosing a 55" TV. I was all set to buy an LG 55UH615A (same as the 55UH6150) which they have on sale at Costco for $599, BUT I saw a Samsung they had in the store the UN55KU6290 which they have for only $489. Any opinions on which is better and why? They are both 4k and seem very similar. Rather save the $110 if I am not giving up something.  I know there are better ones out there, but this is a secondary TV for a bedroom so does not have to be the best, just want to pick the better of these two options.  Thanks.

I've been getting Sonys for years and they seem to last the longest with less headaches in general. But I do believe Vizio would be a better choice for one reason. Other than buying an over sized computer monitor, Vizio seems to be the first company that gives you the option of not having a built in tuner. Tuners really are a waste in today's society where we all have some sort of cablebox. I really think a lot of these companies keep tuners onboard just to raise prices to make money. (Yes, I know they are still needed by some). On the other hand, Vizios that I recall people I knew had, did not last long.

Maybe just take into consider what can be labeled a throw away model. If you have a set top box, take into consideration what you really need. A Smart TV, or an over size monitor with limited bells and whistles. Or see what was great in 2016 and just buy last years best model at a greatly reduced price.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I've been getting Sonys for years and they seem to last the longest with less headaches in general. But I do believe Vizio would be a better choice for one reason. Other than buying an over sized computer monitor, Vizio seems to be the first company that gives you the option of not having a built in tuner. Tuners really are a waste in today's society where we all have some sort of cablebox. I really think a lot of these companies keep tuners onboard just to raise prices to make money. (Yes, I know they are still needed by some). On the other hand, Vizios that I recall people I knew had, did not last long.

Maybe just take into consider what can be labeled a throw away model. If you have a set top box, take into consideration what you really need. A Smart TV, or an over size monitor with limited bells and whistles. Or see what was great in 2016 and just buy last years best model at a greatly reduced price.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

From what I know Vizio is crap. I know three people who have had them and they all died in under 18 months. Unless someone comes up with a compelling reason to get the LG I will go with the Samsung. I have a two year old 65" curved 4K Samsung that has been great.

From what I know Vizio is crap. I know three people who have had them and they all died in under 18 months. Unless someone comes up with a compelling reason to get the LG I will go with the Samsung. I have a two year old 65" curved 4K Samsung that has been great.

If you buy them at Costco and similar outlet stores, you may be right. I did buy my 1st Vizio at Costco, and it failed (thankfully) within the Warranty period. They got techs out there pronto and, in the end, they ordered a full replacement and shipped it to me, free of charge, with a tech to configure it, once it arrived. Never had a problem with it, since, and it has moved all the way from NJ to FL with no difficulties. The techs told me that the one's sold to Costco and similar outlets may not be QC'ed completely. The replacement had a QC sticker on it.

I would love to buy all Sony's (I used to work for them, after all), but they can be expensive. 

I agree and said so. Thats why I call it a throw away. Lol...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you buy them at Costco and similar outlet stores, you may be right. I did buy my 1st Vizio at Costco, and it failed (thankfully) within the Warranty period. They got techs out there pronto and, in the end, they ordered a full replacement and shipped it to me, free of charge, with a tech to configure it, once it arrived. Never had a problem with it, since, and it has moved all the way from NJ to FL with no difficulties. The techs told me that the one's sold to Costco and similar outlets may not be QC'ed completely. The replacement had a QC sticker on it.

I would love to buy all Sony's (I used to work for them, after all), but they can be expensive. 

Actually if you buy at Costco it is great, they double the one year warranty and if you use their VISA card they double that so you get a four year warranty for no cost.

Just about every manufacturer creates cheaper models of a product and gives the big box stores lower wholesale prices so they can make money. That's why you are better off buying a product direct from a certified distributor that gets the better quality stuff.

Cost more but hey.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I prefer the Samsung based on what's currently available but you should ask yourself if you really need a 4K TV. Especially on a 55". How close will you be sitting to the TV? Close enough to see the pixels? Do you have anything that plays 4K content? Plan on getting anything? I know a lot of TVs have 4K now but you may be better off with a nicer 1080p

I think I'll go the Samsung route.  Was just wondering if the LG might be better, but they seem very close.  I have a two year old Samsung 65" Curved 4K set that we love and have not had any issue with.  The picture is great, the only issue I have with them is their Smart stuff seems never to have made it passed the third grade :)  Won't be an issue as I'm ditching the cable anyway and this will get hooked up to either an AppleTV or Roku.  Thanks for the input.

I've had a Vizio tv for about 3 years now and no problems. Granted it's the 26 inch model, but that thing has survived some abuse.

I just recently picked up a Sharp 43 inch 4k set. Chose that one because of price and so far it's run great. Once you get anything set up to how you want to run it, they all look great.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

I think I'll go the Samsung route.  Was just wondering if the LG might be better, but they seem very close.  I have a two year old Samsung 65" Curved 4K set that we love and have not had any issue with.  The picture is great, the only issue I have with them is their Smart stuff seems never to have made it passed the third grade :)  Won't be an issue as I'm ditching the cable anyway and this will get hooked up to either an AppleTV or Roku.  Thanks for the input.

If you just looking to make a dumb TV smart look at these

Nvidia Shield TV

MiBox Android TV

Both of these will give you 4K and if your an android phone use you will like these.

Set up the Samsung a little bit ago and the picture is amazing, sound is not half bad either.  The SmartTV stuff on it is garbage, but they all are and I did not expect anything from it.  I am using a Roku streaming stick as the input for it right now. That is a 1080P device but the TV automatically upconverts it to 4K.  Not really as an issue as there is very little TV content that is in higher resolution.  This 55" UHD 4K TV was only $489 at Costco.  Factor in the 2% I get back on my Executive Club membership and additional 2% off for using my Costco Citi Visa card plus that they double and redouble the warranty to 4 years when using the two cards it was a great buy.

• Like 2

So now I'm standing in line at Costco with a TV that is 48.9" wide, wondering how to put it in a space that is 47.25" wide...

Unbox it I guess, or take a sawsall to the side of the car :)

I have found the biggest problems with the Visio's is the color. I had to spend a lot of time to get the color corrected. With the defaults, the skin tone looked horrible on certain scenes in shows. Too much orange for some reason (so you can image how bad Trump looked. ;) ). I've always heard good things about the Samsung and Sonys, so I don't think you can go wrong with either of those.