Pizza Bob

No More NJ Vehicle Inspection...

About 9 months ago pulling out of my driveway taking my daughter to soccer practice. Pulled over for license plate light. First time I knew it was out. Handed young cop license, registration, insurance, and NJSP family member card. He went to his car and came back with a ticket and all my cards. I was very polite. There really wasn't much talking at all. My license is completely clean. Last ticket was 1997 before that one. I took ticket and called the trooper. Next day got an apology, but still had to pay $54. Kid was a cop less than a year and claimed he didn't know what the metal card was. Once they are written there isn't much that can be done.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm confused.  Your license plate light was burned out.  Yeah, a BS ticket, but because you've got a relative that works for the State Police, you're supposed to get a pass?

I'm confused. Your license plate light was burned out. Yeah, a BS ticket, but because you've got a relative that works for the State Police, you're supposed to get a pass?

Yes and yes. It's called professional courtesy. That's what those PBA and FOP cards everyone has are for as well. Avoiding BS tickets.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Yes and yes. It's called professional courtesy. That's what those PBA and FOP cards everyone has are for as well. Avoiding BS tickets.

So they're only for the REST of us?

And you wonder why people get pissed-off.....

So they're only for the REST of us?

And you wonder why people get pissed-off.....

I don't know too many people in NJ without at least one PBA card. Be friendly to a local police officer in your town if you don't have one. Make a donation.

I was a vol firefighter for 35+ years, and I have received several breaks....but I don't go running around flashing cards or badges or whatever and  EXPECTING them.

I'm not sure what the above exchange has to do with car registration, but it sure underscores the convoluted "gotta know somebody" environment that causes so many problems in this state.

I have PBA cards but never asked for them. I also do my best to follow the law or speak up in court when they work improperly against me.

That reminds me, time to write my legislators to complain about the $65 registration if there will be no inspection to fund.

I'm not sure what the above exchange has to do with car registration, but it sure underscores the convoluted "gotta know somebody" environment that causes so many problems in this state.

I agree completely. I don't carry my PBA cards, because I would never show one if stopped. I can't stand the cronyism, the two-tiered justice system, that they represent.

I don't know if I've ever gotten a ticket that could have been avoided had I just waived a card and claimed that I 'knew someone'. But that shouldn't be relevant, and so I enjoy the peace of mind that comes from not playing the game.

From my personal experience, most people who flash PBA or FOP cards have no idea who the LEO is who's name is on it. I then confiscate it. I also take it for other violations and tell the violator to have the officer call me so that we could discuss the violation and to get the card back. In other words, the cards were an inconvenience. A summons would be issued mostly based on the severity of the incident and attitude.

Sent from an undisclosed location

From my personal experience, most people who flash PBA or FOP cards have no idea who the LEO is who's name is on it. I then confiscate it. I also take it for other violations and tell the violator to have the officer call me so that we could discuss the violation and to get the card back. In other words, the cards were an inconvenience. A summons would be issued mostly based on the severity of the incident and attitude.

Sent from an undisclosed location

Agreed. For the record I don't use them as a get out of jail free card. I am older now with kids. No more sports car. I drive a SUV. I'm not speeding around and expecting to get off. I use speaker phone, and if I notice a light out I fix it. At this very moment in my rear storage compartment I have a replacement bulb for every light in my vehicle. With that being said yes I would expect some courtesy for a family member for something minor.

I've been pulled over a couple times in maybe the last few years. Off the top of my head expired registration by one day, expired inspection sticker, brake light out, headlight out, and license plate light out are the ones I can think of. The only one I got a ticket for was the license plate light. All others I did not know about or realize and fixed immediately.

I am always pleasant to the officer. I hand my license, registration, insurance, and family member card all together in my insurance card holder. They usually ask whose card it is and I tell them. Half the time that is the end of it. The other half they ask how my driving record is and I can truthfully say perfect. They then go to the car and confirm it, and come back and say fix whatever it is. Getting a license plate light out ticket while leaving my driveway (hadn't driven 100') was ridiculous. The worst part was I have two license plate lights and the other was lit and the plate was visible. I probably should have fought it, but I figured my time is worth more than $54.

So the good news is, no more inspections for my 86 Porsche. The bad news is that the roads are still littered with idiots that have one or more brake lights out. There is no longer any inspection for bulbs etc. because 84% of cars passed anyway so why waste time and money. Now, nobody checks their car the day before inspection so they have no idea that something needs to be fixed. When was the last time anyone was ticketed for a repair item? I guess speeding tickets are better revenue generators.

Can't speak for everyone but most of my coworkers and I prefer to issue the no point low-cost summons instead of the mandatory court appearance points ticket if we even feel that a summons is appropriate.

This is why I bought a 94 Suburban...which I love. Here's the million dollar question though.... what to do about the old inspection sticker? Leave it, take it off, write "N/A" on paper, remove old sticker and place it where the sticker used to be? I called local PD but they literally said, "Get it inspected anyway." Yeah, sure.

Scrape the sticker off of the windshield. This is what the MVC requests and it catches my eye less than an expired sticker.

Because with my luck I'll get bubba gump with a badge, bitching about NO sticker at all, never mind an expired one.

So if the MVC recommends the sticker be pulled, I'd like to see that in writing from them as an official document, so I can keep a copy in my car along with the exception card.

I haven't been pulled over yet, but it's only a matter of time.

Jon... can you point to a doc we can reference that states that?

"Additionally, owners of the exempted vehicles will be sent a notice (below) six (6) to eight (8) weeks before their vehicle would have been due for inspection. Owners should remove the inspection sticker once it expires and keep this notice with their vehicle."

Can be found here...

http://www.nj.gov/mvc/Inspections/tailpipe.htm

I converted my 70s Lemans Sport from a QQHistoric to a regular registration and the lady at the DMV counter gave me a "post card" which spelled out the tailpipe exemption for vehicles 1995 or older (mine is a 1970 model which did not have a catalytic converter from the factory).  She told me just keep it in the car - you don't need to get your car inspected.

Now I can actually drive it on Sundays without the fear of either: a)  getting pulled over because I am not going/entering it in a car show or b) God forbid getting into an accident and my insurance refusing my claim because I was driving it for leisure and not as prescribed in the vague law governing historic motor vehicles.

I converted my 70s Lemans Sport from a QQHistoric to a regular registration and the lady at the DMV counter gave me a "post card" which spelled out the tailpipe exemption for vehicles 1995 or older (mine is a 1970 model which did not have a catalytic converter from the factory). She told me just keep it in the car - you don't need to get your car inspected.

Now I can actually drive it on Sundays without the fear of either: a) getting pulled over because I am not going/entering it in a car show or b) God forbid getting into an accident and my insurance refusing my claim because I was driving it for leisure and not as prescribed in the vague law governing historic motor vehicles.

You need to dump your insurance and go with Grundy. I don't have those restrictions on my '93 vette and premium is $250.

The MG is on Hagerty insurance.  Got hit in the back by a distracted driver on a nice, sunny week day when my retired mom wanted to take it to brunch.  They paid immediately. No issues, no questions asked, no rate increase.  Only way they could have been more helpful would have been if the guy on the phone had personally driven the car to and from the shop for her.

"Additionally, owners of the exempted vehicles will be sent a notice (below) six (6) to eight (8) weeks before their vehicle would have been due for inspection. Owners should remove the inspection sticker once it expires and keep this notice with their vehicle."

Can be found here...

Thanks, Bob!

Wow. Chief detective Bob is on the job. You go boiii

Bob. What pissed me off is my 95 build year taurus, model year 96. Can you find an exemption for me on that one. ?

Ed, does your taurus have an ODB2 connector? If yes, you're fucked.

I love this part...

SPECIAL PROVISIONS

Any vehicle that failed inspection before May 1, 2016 will still be required to be repaired and pass a reinspection

before it can be issued a certificate of approval (inspection sticker).

but... if you've peeled the inspection sticker off, how is the popo supposed to know you failed?

Can be found here...

Thanks for grabbing the link!

I can't stand the cronyism, the two-tiered justice system, that they represent.

Then you would really hate me, with my Cadillac Escalade (or is it my Range Rover) with full limo tint all around, reflective covers over my license plates, and 2, big, extra shiny, extra gold badges, obnoxiously suction cupped on my windshield, laughing at you while I drive twice the speed limit through a school zone while children are present.

But, just for the record, one windshield badge says I am a NJSP family member, so it makes it alright.

• Like 1

Can be found here...

Funny -- I was watching for this "Notice" for my 92 safari van --  It never came

I got pulled over today by Montgomery PD for the expired inspection sticker -- officer asked for the "Notice"  I laughed and said you really expect MVC to send me something I didn't have to pay for...

He agreed, checked my registration, said have a nice day and let me on my way -- total stop took 90 seconds

Keep in mind that just because no inspection is required, it doesn't mean you can't be cited for things that violate MV code. For example, NJ hasn't included cracked windshields in inspection for years, but a LEO can still write you a ticket for one. Same goes in this case for illegal tint, missing front plate, burned out bulbs, excessive noise, etc.

Exemption from inspection does not equal exemption from the law.