Pizza Bob

No More NJ Vehicle Inspection...

...if your car is model year 1995 or older.

I'm probably behind the curve on this, but it was news to me. My weekend toy was in the shop for a rear main seal and clutch replacement. I intended to go directly to the inspection station from there, when I picked it up. The owner of the shop told me that there was no need as a law passed last April exempted cars 1995 and older.

It used to be that was the case for QQ-plate cars, but it now applies to all cars 1995 and older. I was always taught "Trust but verify" and that's what I did. I happily scraped off my old sticker and hit the road.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

• Like 1

What the...  I got my 2009 subaru inspected back in October and the DMV inspection station was doing the same thing they've always been with a string of cars (much newer than 1995) going in and out. 

hmmm

And your point is?

So please tell me what my $71.50 goes to pay for?  Undercarriage inspection in NJ was history a LONG time ago.  Ball joints, struts, brakes, alignment, the works....all gone.  Cars can be a POS & get passed just cause they pass the plug-in test.  Even cracked windshields pass.  So why bother? 

My '99 F250 is also exempt! Exemption varies by age, registration and weight class:

http://www.nj.gov/mvc/Inspections/VehiclesExempt.htm

the wording of that is wrong. Cars built 1995 and older? So a car older than 1995? lol that's our gubmit.

Doesn't it seem backward that you would not inspect older cars but newer ones?  It's more likely that an older car would be in disrepair than a newer one.  

• Like 1

Most cars are NOT in the exception list and still need to be tested. Ignoring the pre-95 bit, all cars under 8500lb, which is most of them still need to be inspected. It is the bigger trucks that do not. 

No..... its the opposite

http://nj.gov/mvc/Inspections/VehiclesExempt.htm

Most cars are NOT in the exception list and still need to be tested. Ignoring the pre-95 bit, all cars under 8500lb, which is most of them still need to be inspected. It is the bigger trucks that do not.

Any passenger vehicle not registered commercial 1995 or older is exempt in NJ.

I really did not think that this concept was that hard to grasp. Apparently I was wrong. Some operative words: Car / Model Year 1995 / Older / Exempt

If you have a car (connotes GVWR <8500#) 1995 model year or older (i.e. 1991, 1994, 1967), it is exempt from NJ Motor Vehicle Inspection (that means you do not have to have it inspected). That is all.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

• Like 2

FYI quite a few police have not got the memo about this so the MVC does have a small piece of paper to give out that explains the lack of inspection stickr. My coworker was pulled over by the same police officer every morning for a week, on friday he walked into the police station and showed the paper to the chief and explained the situation. All tickets were dismissed in court and he has not been pulled over since.

• Like 1

I really did not think that this concept was that hard to grasp. Apparently I was wrong. Some operative words: Car / Model Year 1995 / Older / Exempt

If you have a car (connotes GVWR <8500#) 1995 model year or older (i.e. 1991, 1994, 1967), it is exempt from NJ Motor Vehicle Inspection (that means you do not have to have it inspected). That is all.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Wait, what?

um...not "car" - "registered passenger" - i.e. private pickups, like mine.  If you look at a light truck private (not commercial) registration, it says "Pass at commercial rate" - pass = passenger.  My 1999 F250 superduty has a gvwr of 8800 pounds, therefore it is now exempt.

From the web page:

The following vehicles are exempt from inspection requirements (N.J.A.C. 13:20-7.2):

• Gasoline powered vehicles registered passenger, model year 1995 & older with a GVWR 8,500 pounds or less.
  • Gasoline powered vehicles registered passenger, model year 2007 & older with a GVWR 8,501 to 14,000 pounds.
  • Gasoline powered vehicles registered passenger, model year 2013 & older with a GVWR 14,001 pounds or more.
  • Historic motor vehicles
  • Approved Collector Vehicles which are less than 25 years old
  • 100% Electric vehicles
  • Motorcycles
  • Motorized bicycles
  • Farm tractors and traction equipment
  • Farm machinery and implements
  • Fire trucks having a GVWR of more than 8,500 pounds
  • In-transit construction equipment
  • All Diesel-fueled motor vehicles with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) 8,501 pounds to 17,999 that are plated commercial. The owner or lessee is required to inspected these vehicles.  
  • All diesel powered vehicles with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) 8,501 to 17,999 that are plated passenger, not for profit, governmental, commuter van, farmer or farm truck except buses
  • All diesel powered vehicles model year 1996 and older that are plated passenger, not for profit, governmental, commuter van, farmer or farm truck except buses
  • Omnibuses which are subject to inspection by the Commission‘s Commercial Bus Inspection and Investigation Unit
  • School buses which are subject to inspection by the Commission‘s School Bus Inspection Unit
  • Tactical military vehicles operated on Federal installations within this State

FYI quite a few police have not got the memo about this so the MVC does have a small piece of paper to give out that explains the lack of inspection stickr. My coworker was pulled over by the same police officer every morning for a week, on friday he walked into the police station and showed the paper to the chief and explained the situation. All tickets were dismissed in court and he has not been pulled over since.

I received said card in the mail and it's in my glove box with my registration, because yes cops in this state aren't all that up on the law most of the time.

So the good news is, no more inspections for my 86 Porsche. The bad news is that the roads are still littered with idiots that have one or more brake lights out. There is no longer any inspection for bulbs etc. because 84% of cars passed anyway so why waste time and money. Now, nobody checks their car the day before inspection so they have no idea that something needs to be fixed. When was the last time anyone was ticketed for a repair item? I guess speeding tickets are better revenue generators.

So the good news is, no more inspections for my 86 Porsche. The bad news is that the roads are still littered with idiots that have one or more brake lights out. There is no longer any inspection for bulbs etc. because 84% of cars passed anyway so why waste time and money. Now, nobody checks their car the day before inspection so they have no idea that something needs to be fixed. When was the last time anyone was ticketed for a repair item? I guess speeding tickets are better revenue generators.

About 9 months ago pulling out of my driveway taking my daughter to soccer practice. Pulled over for license plate light. First time I knew it was out. Handed young cop license, registration, insurance, and NJSP family member card. He went to his car and came back with a ticket and all my cards. I was very polite. There really wasn't much talking at all. My license is completely clean. Last ticket was 1997 before that one. I took ticket and called the trooper. Next day got an apology, but still had to pay $54. Kid was a cop less than a year and claimed he didn't know what the metal card was. Once they are written there isn't much that can be done.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is why I bought a 94 Suburban...which I love. Here's the million dollar question though.... what to do about the old inspection sticker? Leave it, take it off, write "N/A" on paper, remove old sticker and place it where the sticker used to be? I called local PD but they literally said, "Get it inspected anyway." Yeah, sure.

non-obd2 vehicles(95 and older) are inspection exempt. this doesn't mean that you can't be ticketed for safety violations though.

even the obd2 inspection is nothing more than a joke. we plug into the computer. no cel, no codes, maintenance monitors show ready, she passes. and i had proven in the past, on more than one occasion that a vehicle that passes this way will fail an actual emissions test.

non-obd2 vehicles(95 and older) are inspection exempt. this doesn't mean that you can't be ticketed for safety violations though.

even the obd2 inspection is nothing more than a joke. we plug into the computer. no cel, no codes, maintenance monitors show ready, she passes. and i had proven in the past, on more than one occasion that a vehicle that passes this way will fail an actual emissions test.

Will they fail at the old idle test, or ASM5015?

So please tell me what my $71.50 goes to pay for? Undercarriage inspection in NJ was history a LONG time ago. Ball joints, struts, brakes, alignment, the works....all gone. Cars can be a POS & get passed just cause they pass the plug-in test. Even cracked windshields pass. So why bother?

I'm still trying to figure of what my $65 motorcycle registration goes toward...