notmetoo

Urgent question on NY handgun laws

I need some questions answered pretty quickly. My nephew is moving from GA to NY, like, this weekend. He's active duty Army and has a Glock 19.

Are there any exceptions for military personnel in NY's handgun laws?

I'm reading that he needs to have a NY permit before he can even possess a handgun in NY, true?

19s have 15-round mags - again can he be excepted since he is Army?

And any advice you have is greatly appreciated.

THANK YOU!

He cannot take a handgun into NY unless he has a permit.   There are two exceptions, one is for Olympic shooters and the other is for NRA competitors.

Neither apply to him.  He will be charged with felony possession if he brings it to NY.  Sell it before he moves.

There are military exemptions but only on base.  If he lived on base, he could probably get it shipped to the base, but it could not leave the base.

Above posters are correct you can not have a hand gun in NY unless you have a permit. Depending on what county he is going to reside in this can take anywhere from 3 months to over a year to receive. I have a NY permit so I'm well versed in the process if you want to PM me with additional questions.

Thank you all for the information! Brucin, I'll send you a PM, thanks for the offer.

We decided that I will buy the Glock (never really wanted one, let the hating begin ) - as luck would have it I have a permit - until he gets his NY permit. He will be driving right by me on his way up tomorrow, which works out well.

Poor guy. He was in GA for infantry officer and Ranger training, picked up the Glock while he was there, and never realized how terrible gun laws are up this way. He's from CT, but never paid attention until now. His mom (my sis) is a classic upper-middle class lefty Northeasterner and she was in a panic about his trip to NY!

Thank you all for the information! Brucin, I'll send you a PM, thanks for the offer.

We decided that I will buy the Glock (never really wanted one, let the hating begin ) - as luck would have it I have a permit - until he gets his NY permit. He will be driving right by me on his way up tomorrow, which works out well.

Poor guy. He was in GA for infantry officer and Ranger training, picked up the Glock while he was there, and never realized how terrible gun laws are up this way. He's from CT, but never paid attention until now. His mom (my sis) is a classic upper-middle class lefty Northeasterner and she was in a panic about his trip to NY!

Just remember to meet at a FFL obviously. On the plus side he can still eventually own a g19 (with 10rd mags) and depending on where he is it'll be a carry permit as well.

.... He will be charged with felony possession if he brings it to NY....

Unlike NJ, in NYS simple possession without a permit is a class A misdemeanor punishable by up to a year in prison. It's only a felony if you are otherwise forbidden from owning a firearm or using it unlawfully. Still it is not a good idea to bring it into NY but the greater risk is traveling thru NJ.

If he can find an FFL in NY near where he will be living, have it shipped there. They will hold it for him until he has a permit. This seems to be standard procedure in NY, I've shipped handguns to NY dealers for people who were moving there.

Reading this I cant help but see some logistical. issues you may /may not have thought of. Coming from Ga it may get hard getting to a FFL on time for a transfer on a Sat since you cant do a face to face sale, he not being a NJ resident..Also even if he gets here on time it most likely would be late in the day and nics (5:00 close?) could get passed on to Monday . If he gets up here and the FFL is closed you guys again are stuck till Monday to make the transfer thru a FFL. Things to think about, good luck.

What do you mean it doesn't matter. He definitely has to go through a ffl

If anyone cares, this is correct. You can't have a handgun transferred between residents of two different states without going through an FFL.

The GA resident should bring it to a NJ FFL, and then transfer it to the NJ resident with his permit.

If anyone cares, this is correct. You can't have a handgun transferred between residents of two different states without going through an FFL.

The GA resident should bring it to a NJ FFL, and then transfer it to the NJ resident with his permit.

You can't have any firearm transferred between residents of two different states without going through an FFL.