Sign in to follow this  
Schrödinger's cat

Was this a complete new AK for $480 ?

Don't forget that the DIY kit will still need to be sent to a FFL that requires compliance work. Slant brake pinned and bayo lug ears grounded along with transfer fees.

Here is a video of what's needed to assemble the DIY kit less the furniture and FCG.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=livBrRdpgdk

Better get your ALG AKT triggers now. Prices have increased on the lightning bow ones on their website. You can still find them for around 50.00 if you look around.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HM2M5x-DJkw

FYI - Palmetto State Armory bought DDI Inc. To be more precise, JJE Capital, the parent company of PSA bought DDI Inc. I only found this out from watching some Shot Show 2017 videos on youtube this evening. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_r0voFJ2vY

Regards,

TokenEntry

Everything that you need a press, jigs, etc for is done for you. All you need to do is put the furniture on which is easy and throw a trigger in. Then order a muzzle brake to have pinned/welded on and the bayo lug shaved. I'd order the brake and have it shipped to your FFL.

So you're looking at $480, $25 to ship I'm guessing, $30-100+ for a brake so say $555 with a $50 brake. Then pin/weld brake and bayo shave is usually around $60, plus transfer fees say $40. So $655. And you still have to install furniture and trigger.

With that said, you are in import territory at $650-700. WASR, Npap, Sar1, Egyptian Maadi, and the new Arsenal fixed stock at $850. That, IMO, will be one of the best buys right now other than the Fine square back VEPR but you need to spend a grand which is probably out of your budget.

Import over US made AK all day. If this is your first AK, I'd suggest an import. If you have a few and want something different, then I'd like at US made. Not saying some companies can make decent US AK's but in the end, don't you want an AK made in the original factory with a hammer forged [chrome lined barrel] and original receiver? I would at least for my first couple then play around with a US one.

Also, you have to figure out if you really want the black poly furniture and specific trigger that comes with the misc parts. If that's not something you want, then I'd suggest against ordering the misc parts and buying all the parts yourself. That way you will get exactly what you want. Many of those parts are surplus parts that are easily found in forum marketplaces, GunBroker, eBay, etc.

For example, if you plan on putting say wood furniture on it, and want to upgrade the trigger to something else, look into buying those separately. There is no reason to spend the money on the misc parts just to use a bunch of other parts. The handguard retainers and small parts can be found in the same markets as stated above. Apexgunparts and liberty tree are good for the small parts as well.

IMO, I'd save up a little more money and buy an import as it seems this may be your first AK. And if you're only going to have one in your collection for the time being, a solid import is the best choice. That's just my opinion, although many AK afficianados would agree.