DanMarvel

Pistol Permit process in NJ

Not new to the process, have gotten few permits in the past years. My question is, will they ever go away with the pistol permit process? Is NJ the only stupid state to do this? It can get very annoying have to wait 2-3mo, bothering two reference and sometimes having the employer called and verified. I'd gladly have 7 day wait than having to go through all that just for a pistol.

Still kind of want a wheel gun for range fun but I feel annoyed thinking about the process and the wait just to get one.

Dan Marvel, I don't think they ever will, maybe after they let us get CCW's. I just handed my pistol permit jan 4th, i have my FID card already. so i went for 2 pistol permits since i knew it was gonna take months anyways. Maybe one day they will wake up and do it a better way. But til then we can only hope and wish.

Well ya see starting next year after we elect a new governor the process will change.  Proposed new bills from the Dumbocrats have included needing five references. a psych exam, training course, home inspection and safe storage requirements, not to mention other stupid ass requirements to lessen gun ownership further in NJ. So enjoy what you have and if you do not like it............Get off your duff and help defeat these stupid state legislators that think they can get away with it.  Go to Murphy's web site and see what he has in store to protect you from yourself.  Look up past bills from Oliver, Lesniak, and others to get feel for what they are trying to do to your 2A rights.  It's disgusting.

Or you can sell your NJ property and move to a free state. Sucks doesn't it.  

Sorry, you push my rant button this AM.  This rant applies to everyone not just the OP.

• Like 7

My main complaint is not the process for getting the permits, it's the OGAM law. Having to make sure there's only one handgun in a 30 day period makes the permits suck even more, since they expire in such a short time.

I would be OK with the permit process iff A) my local police were quick about it and B) no OGAM.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

My main complaint is not the process for getting the permits, it's the OGAM law. Having to make sure there's only one handgun in a 30 day period makes the permits suck even more, since they expire in such a short time.

I would be OK with the permit process iff A) my local police were quick about it and B) no OGAM.

Really? That type of mentality is set up for failure:

Every other state--go to gun store.fill out form, show license. Wait for background check and leave with gun

NJ-Meet sheriff. Questioned why you want a gun.Take off work. Fill out forms. Fingerprinted. pay $68 money order only. References are visited and questioned. Meet sheriff again. Questions asked again. Re-fingerprinted. Re-questioned. Miss another day of work. Treated like a criminal---than wait 3-6 months and voila, you have a FID only to buy a long gun that is also restricted. Go through the same process to get a handgun permit---then have no chance of carrying it anywhere. Restrictions on ammo logging, expandable ammo, etc. And you're okay with this system that has never once stopped a criminal? Then you wonder why NJ gun laws are unconstitutional and oppressive?

Every other state--go to gun store.fill out form, show license. Wait for background check and leave with gun

NJ-Meet sheriff. Questioned why you want a gun.Take off work. Fill out forms. Fingerprinted. pay $68 money order only. References are visited and questioned. Meet sheriff again. Questions asked again. Re-fingerprinted. Re-questioned. Miss another day of work. Treated like a criminal---than wait 3-6 months and voila, you have a FID only to buy a long gun that is also restricted. Go through the same process to get a handgun permit---then have no chance of carrying it anywhere. Restrictions on ammo logging, expandable ammo, etc. And you're okay with this system that has never once stopped a criminal? Then you wonder why NJ gun laws are unconstitutional and oppressive?

The fact is I already got the hard stuff done years ago. Now I can just print my PDF application + mental health consent form and mail to my local PD when I want more permits.

Also, a majority of my purchases are from private sales so I don't pay the background check fee and sales tax. Plus, no waiting on N "I" CS. (I parenthesized for sarcasm)

Several states have waiting periods, most can be bypassed by having a carry permit.

Even Florida has a 3 day wait, bypassed with a carry permit.

Only a few populated states are pistol perfect. (I.e. no licensing or registration of handgun purchases) Even PA requires handgun transfers to go through a dealer, and the state police retain those records.

All I can say is be careful what you wish for. In 2013 Sweeney pushed a bill that would have merged FID with DL, required FID renewal every few years, and mandated that private firearms transfers be FFL processed and recorded by the NJSP (as in no more loaning a shotgun to a friend).

Well ya see starting next year after we elect a new governor the process will change.  Proposed new bills from the Dumbocrats have included needing five references. a psych exam, training course, home inspection and safe storage requirements, not to mention other stupid ass requirements to lessen gun ownership further in NJ. So enjoy what you have and if you do not like it............Get off your duff and help defeat these stupid state legislators that think they can get away with it.  Go to Murphy's web site and see what he has in store to protect you from yourself.  Look up past bills from Oliver, Lesniak, and others to get feel for what they are trying to do to your 2A rights.  It's disgusting.

Or you can sell your NJ property and move to a free state. Sucks doesn't it.  

Sorry, you push my rant button this AM.  This rant applies to everyone not just the OP.

I am with you. I lived in NJ for about 30 years. I got off my butt and got others involved but guess what? It just kept getting worse and not better. One day I just got fed up and told my wife to put the home up for sale during the housing recession. We just kept lowering the price until we sold it and then moved to Florida. Now I have a whole room filled with guns, many that were illegal in NJ. I had to learn about small carry guns and holsters. They used to make fun of me in the numerous guns stores found at ranges, Pawn Shops and other retail establishments with FFLs because I kept asking them if what I wanted to buy was legal. I can get to 5 gun stores in under a half an hour and three ranges in the same amount of time.

My wife and I have ccw licenses. They call them licenses because it is felt that we do not need permission to carry a gun. No license at all required to carry a gun in your car as long as it is out of sight. I can buy any gun that is not banned by the Federal government and that took time to adjust to. We voted with our feet and love it here in Florida. I have bought about 60 guns in 6 years. I bought 8 handguns within weeks of moving here. My wife carries, all her girlfriends carry as well as their husbands. My relatives here carry and so does the woman who cuts my hair, takes care of my lawn, fixes my plumbing and takes care of my electrical systems. Anti gun people are the ones who have to keep quiet about guns.

The biggest difference is that in NJ I felt that we were always on the defensive to water down an anti gun law or fight against passage of one. In Florida we are offensive since we are not fighting to defeat anti gun laws but rather getting more pro gun laws. Last year they passed a law that says we can fire a warning shot or pull a gun without having to shoot it. They even now allow brief unintentional display of carry guns too. 

My boss wanted me to return to NJ to handle a multi year project and I tendered my resignation which you could accept if she wanted to. I was throwing away a job where I work my own hours and make over $100 an hour. That is how strongly I feel about staying in a pro gun State.

• Like 1

Damn thats crazy, I got my FID first had to get paper work fill out, pay for fingerprints think it was 60 sumthing, return to police office gave paper work he said ok hell call me when it comes in, took awhile and got the call went signed my name put my finger print on it and away i went to buy my rifle, This month went back got paper work for pistol permits filled it out paid 20 bucks to the state to send my finger print info over, handed in paperwork now just playing the waiting game :-) I wasnt questioned at all, the cop in oburg was pretty cool he asked me do i have my eye on any one pistol and showed me different between 9mm and .45 ACP etc. :-)

I'm wondering if this permit policy actually makes people buy more guns....

If you have to go through all this BS to get one pistol, you might as well buy two more, right?

I think it may result in requesting/receiving more P2Ps than might be used, that's for sure...  You always want to have one available when you want to buy a gun.

I think it may result in requesting/receiving more P2Ps than might be used, that's for sure...  You always want to have one available when you want to buy a gun.

Yup.

I get 6 at a time, every 6 months. Can I afford to buy one gun per month? No.

Lol wtf? Where did you reside that all this went down? Your town must definitely be super anti 2a.

I handed my paperwork to the detective, got fingerprinted a week later, got my license two weeks later. Literally took like 32/33 days. Oh and they didn't ask me to pay for the FID app or initial P2P permit. Not even for the next 3 P2P I applied for (which took 2 weeks). 

Guess I got lucky with my town huh.

• Like 1

I just got two P2Ps with relative ease. Filled out paperwork, made an appointment with local PD, handed in paperwork and fees, filled out online background check and paid fee ($10?), got permits back in less than 30 days. My only gripes are the whole process is redundant, by the time I got the permits they were already a few days old, all these background checks and still can't carry.

Not exactly, many states have permits and/or waiting periods for handguns, and New York's handgun laws make NJ look really good by comparison.

Also, some states regulate what types of  handguns can even be sold, CA, MA and MD ban a lot of handguns that are readily available in NJ

Not exactly, many states have permits and/or waiting periods for handguns, and New York's handgun laws make NJ look really good by comparison.

Also, some states regulate what types of  handguns can even be sold, CA, MA and MD ban a lot of handguns that are readily available in NJ

NY really depends on which county you reside in. I got my NY permit faster than I got my NJ FPID.

I just got two P2Ps with relative ease. Filled out paperwork, made an appointment with local PD, handed in paperwork and fees, filled out online background check and paid fee ($10?), got permits back in less than 30 days. My only gripes are the whole process is redundant, by the time I got the permits they were already a few days old, all these background checks and still can't carry.

I'm in Pemberton Township and had the same experience.  Dropped off 2 permit applications 17Jan and picked them up today.  I agree...redundant is the operative word.  On my last permits, I purchased the same day the permits were dated.  I had to wait three days (weekend) to actually take the pistols home due to the "system being down".  I didn't make a fuss over it because it wasn't the fault of the gun shop.  But it is annoying that an approved permit dated that day still requires that additional check.  I've read some horror stories on the forum, with people waiting months, so I have no room to complain.  Kudos to Pemberton Township for decent turnaround time and good customer service.

Just wait for O-GAY

(One Gun A Year)

Only a few populated states are pistol perfect. (I.e. no licensing or registration of handgun purchases) Even PA requires handgun transfers to go through a dealer, and the state police retain those records.

I don't know what a "populated state" is, but I would like to know how many states have these requirements you cite.

You are right about PA, with the exception of lineage and spouses.

Hey All....New to the forum, gained a lot of valuable insight so far from all the threads going around. 

One thing I cant seem to find an answer on -

So I purchased my first handgun this week and I know there is 30 day wait per handgun purchase, question is - Considering the process (to get my intial FID & P2P) took about 2 months initially. Can I apply for my next handgun permit already? or do i have to actually wait the 30 days and then apply for it? 

Appreciate the help!

Hey All....New to the forum, gained a lot of valuable insight so far from all the threads going around. 

One thing I cant seem to find an answer on -

So I purchased my first handgun this week and I know there is 30 day wait per handgun purchase, question is - Considering the process (to get my intial FID & P2P) took about 2 months initially. Can I apply for my next handgun permit already? or do i have to actually wait the 30 days and then apply for it? 

Appreciate the help!

Agree with Golf Battery.  It the use of the permits that is restricted, not the application for them.