DanMarvel

Pistol Permit process in NJ

I get 5 every time and my PD will extend them on the day I pick them up. So I only need to go every 6 months or so and always have a permit ready just in case.

This time my references got letters, which hasn't happened in 5 years. When I asked about it they said the state asked them to check references every time now. Didn't hold anything up, I just wasn't expecting it. Only took 18 days from application to pickup - quickest turnaround ever.

I am with you. I lived in NJ for about 30 years. I got off my butt and got others involved but guess what? It just kept getting worse and not better. One day I just got fed up and told my wife to put the home up for sale during the housing recession. We just kept lowering the price until we sold it and then moved to Florida. Now I have a whole room filled with guns, many that were illegal in NJ. I had to learn about small carry guns and holsters. They used to make fun of me in the numerous guns stores found at ranges, Pawn Shops and other retail establishments with FFLs because I kept asking them if what I wanted to buy was legal. I can get to 5 gun stores in under a half an hour and three ranges in the same amount of time.

My wife and I have ccw licenses. They call them licenses because it is felt that we do not need permission to carry a gun. No license at all required to carry a gun in your car as long as it is out of sight. I can buy any gun that is not banned by the Federal government and that took time to adjust to. We voted with our feet and love it here in Florida. I have bought about 60 guns in 6 years. I bought 8 handguns within weeks of moving here. My wife carries, all her girlfriends carry as well as their husbands. My relatives here carry and so does the woman who cuts my hair, takes care of my lawn, fixes my plumbing and takes care of my electrical systems. Anti gun people are the ones who have to keep quiet about guns.

The biggest difference is that in NJ I felt that we were always on the defensive to water down an anti gun law or fight against passage of one. In Florida we are offensive since we are not fighting to defeat anti gun laws but rather getting more pro gun laws. Last year they passed a law that says we can fire a warning shot or pull a gun without having to shoot it. They even now allow brief unintentional display of carry guns too.

My boss wanted me to return to NJ to handle a multi year project and I tendered my resignation which you could accept if she wanted to. I was throwing away a job where I work my own hours and make over $100 an hour. That is how strongly I feel about staying in a pro gun State.

I hear ya, I grew up in NYC where the gun laws are even more strict then NJ. During that time (the 1980's)I moved to Texas briefly due to work. I remember buying my first handgun there. I walked into a gun shop found a pistol I liked and asked how much it was. He said $100. So I said I will take it and asked now what do I need to do to purchase this gun. He gave me a perplexed look and said. Give me $100. That's when I realized I wasn't in Kansas(NYC) anymore. As much as I would like to move out of this area, all my friends and family are here, I can't leave. Though I can't carry in my home state of NJ, I can legally carry in all the border states.i have a residence in NYS where I can exercise my 2A right on the weekends in the summer. That will have to do for now.

I hear ya, I grew up in NYC where the gun laws are even more strict then NJ. During that time (the 1980's)I moved to Texas briefly due to work. I remember buying my first handgun there. I walked into a gun shop found a pistol I liked and asked how much it was. He said $100. So I said I will take it and asked now what do I need to do to purchase this gun. He gave me a perplexed look and said. Give me $100. That's when I realized I wasn't in Kansas(NYC) anymore. As much as I would like to move out of this area, all my friends and family are here, I can't leave. Though I can't carry in my home state of NJ, I can legally carry in all the border states.i have a residence in NYS where I can exercise my 2A right on the weekends in the summer. That will have to do for now.

Are you, perhaps, close to one of those border states that you could move to it and still have access to those family and friends?

I still have family in the Northeast  (my Mom, sister and her family all still live in western Hunterdon County, NJ).  I can travel to and stay temporarily in the  Allentown/Bethlehem/Easton area and still visit them.  I know I'll be coming up in June or my nephew's HS graduation.  I have others, both in NY and Mass, but I doubt I'll be going that far... :)

On 2/17/2017 at 7:58 PM, WJFortier said:

I'm in Pemberton Township and had the same experience.  Dropped off 2 permit applications 17Jan and picked them up today.  I agree...redundant is the operative word.  On my last permits, I purchased the same day the permits were dated.  I had to wait three days (weekend) to actually take the pistols home due to the "system being down".  I didn't make a fuss over it because it wasn't the fault of the gun shop.  But it is annoying that an approved permit dated that day still requires that additional check.  I've read some horror stories on the forum, with people waiting months, so I have no room to complain.  Kudos to Pemberton Township for decent turnaround time and good customer service.

I am new to this forum (and this thread) and was struck by the difference between working with the NJSP and a Municipal Police Dep in processing P2Ps.  Pemberton Township processes the permits in approximately 30 days.  Some of the other municipal departments I've read can take less.  I live in a town not far from Pemberton that is covered by the NJSP.  Twenty years ago, when I submitted a P2P to them, the process took 4 1/2 months.  I submited a P2P on 17 March 2017 and I'm still waiting.  The trooper that took my paperwork warned me that it would take about 4 months (again)....Hmm.

8 minutes ago, dilbert1967 said:

I am new to this forum (and this thread) and was struck by the difference between working with the NJSP and a Municipal Police Dep in processing P2Ps.  Pemberton Township processes the permits in approximately 30 days.  Some of the other municipal departments I've read can take less.  I live in a town not far from Pemberton that is covered by the NJSP.  Twenty years ago, when I submitted a P2P to them, the process took 4 1/2 months.  I submited a P2P on 17 March 2017 and I'm still waiting.  The trooper that took my paperwork warned me that it would take about 4 months (again)....Hmm.

Depending on the barracks, he's not kidding.

On ‎2‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 8:26 PM, mustang69 said:

This time my references got letters, which hasn't happened in 5 years. When I asked about it they said the state asked them to check references every time now. Didn't hold anything up, I just wasn't expecting it. Only took 18 days from application to pickup - quickest turnaround ever.

Not sure what town you are in - but I'm in Bridgewater and just dropped off pistol paperwork off on Wednesday - my references had letters in their mailbox on Saturday - again, first time in the 4-5 years since I got my FPID that additional pistol permit applications got reference letters.

So stupid - I can't wait to get out of here - don't forget that $20 NJSP fee for criminal records search and that $15 for NICS on each handgun purchase - the state makes $65 off me each time I buy 3 pistols - and they wonder why I do transfers, 7% sales tax is another kick in my pants.