Indianajonze

Permanently Pinned Flash Hider on AR15 Legal or Not?

I've researched this to death and still don't have a definitive answer. As a NJ resident, is it legal to own a rifle with a 14.7" barrel that comes from the factory with a permanently attached flash hider to make it 16"? Flash hiders it seems are bad, but if it's welded to a barrel?

Sent from my Nexus 6P

If you have a mini 14. And the barrel is cut down to 14" and tou put a 2.1" flash hider on it and its pinned. Thats legal. It just an example. The ar problem is the pistol grip.

Yes, the "evil features" game.  We're allowed one of the following (off the top of my head):  pistol grip, flash hider, bayonet lug, collapsible stock.  (Am I leaving any out?)

When we get a Democratic governor next year, they will go to none, because that will keep the children so much safer.  

I've researched this to death and still don't have a definitive answer. As a NJ resident, is it legal to own a rifle with a 14.7" barrel that comes from the factory with a permanently attached flash hider to make it 16"? Flash hiders it seems are bad, but if it's welded to a barrel?

Sent from my Nexus 6P

If the barrel length is less than 16" isn't it required to have the muzzle device permanently attached as per the ATF?

There are PLENTY of firearms straight from the factory that are illegal in NJ. It's a sick game, and it's probably going to get worse if Murphy becomes Governor.

This is my point. Many shorter barrel ar's come with pinned and welded flash hiders permanently attached to bring them to 16". I came within a few clicks of ordering one last night before I decided to research. So assuming they have a standard pistol grip and the welded flash hider, they're illegal in NJ, period. No way around it is what I'm hearing

Sent from my Nexus 6P

Just to bury the point, there are 6 so-called "evil features" and you're allow to have a maximum of 1.

- pistol grip

- flash hider

- bayonet lug

- threaded barrel

- folding/collapsable stock

- grenade launcher

In a semi-auto, with a detachable magazine... that is a big part to include.

So just how do you tell if a muzzle device is a brake, a compensater or a flash hider? Just because the manufacturer says so? Someone told me if you can stick your pinky in it, its a no-go. 

Pinky test is not a qualifier.  What if you have baby hands?

So just how do you tell if a muzzle device is a brake, a compensater or a flash hider? Just because the manufacturer says so? Someone told me if you can stick your pinky in it, its a no-go.

This is what I'm struggling with now. Very difficult to tell based on descriptions. And if I make a mistake and order one with God forbid a flash hider, I'm screwed since it's permanent. Thinking it might be better to just go with a 16" barrel. If I haven't mentioned it yet, this state sucks

Sent from my Nexus 6P

Ok...so how do you tell? I've seen bird cage "compensators" that look just like a flash hider. Wide open in the front. I've never seen anyone that could actually handle an AR that could stick their pinky in a .22 sized hole.

You go by what the manufacturer advertises, and describes the product as. If they claim "it hides flash" move on to a different compensator, or brake in my opinion. Pinky test I don't believe is something that will hold up in court, but it's a good indicator for you to make an educated guess, as to what you think you're buying. I personally prefer to stick with what I'm positive is legal.

Just from my limited personal experience at the range, the only time I've seen an AR with anything but a bit of a hint of a flash is with a bull barrel. Thats like a fire breathing dragon. 

My best thoughts here are you'd be better off buying anything that doesn't look like a birdcage. Even if the manufacturer says it's a compensator/brake. Maybe only BCM's is different enough to look the part of a compensator/brake.

Like what's been said here before, if your rifle is being looked at for compliance, it's the least of your worries. 

what exactly is the reasoning for having the brake pinned or welded?

On a 14.5" barrel it's so it's ATF compliant, to meet the "permanently attached stipulation. Otherwise it's an SBR, and would need a tax stamp. On a 16" or longer barrel with threads it's to make it NJ compliant. Because of their "no threads" rule.

I like that! Is it 2.1" long? (just in case someone has a 14.5" barrel laying around.)

And if I might ask...What makes it not a flash hider now? My pinky rule? lol

Because with that cap on the end its no longer going to hide flash. It's just a muzzle brake now.