Sign in to follow this  
sroc112

Law Enforcement Job Openings

I thought it may be useful if those of you who either work in law enforcement/armed services or an agency, or know someone who does - can post when you hear of certain departments hiring. That can be local, state, or other agency. I know I am considering a career change and can use a heads up every now and then when there is an opportunity out there.

Check Usajobs.gov for any law enforcement openings in the federal government. President Trump just came out with executive orders related to immigration and the border. There will at some point be openings in ,Customs and Border Protection (CBP), Border Patrol, Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) and Homeland Security Investigations (HSI). Check once a week, early in the week as the job announcements are only open for a week or two.

Check Usajobs.gov for any law enforcement openings in the federal government. President Trump just came out with executive orders related to immigration and the border. There will at some point be openings in ,Customs and Border Protection (CBP), Border Patrol, Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) and Homeland Security Investigations (HSI). Check once a week, early in the week as the job announcements are only open for a week or two.

This is a better idea. If you start as a police officer in NJ today at say, 30 years old, you won't reach full retirement until 65. That's wayyy too old for a street cop.

You can be 37 at time of appointment for Federal jobs.

Nearly all Federal jobs require a bachelor's degree.

The best bet is the Border Patrol. Easier to get in but there are some down sides. They have a big turnover for several reasons. Some are:

1. Basic Training is pretty much like the military. Formations, inspections, and the like. Many are not prepared for this. If you're a vet it will be no problem. They like to hire vets.

2. You will learn enough Spanish to do your job. You will be tested when you start the academy. If you don't meet the proficiency requirement you will attend (I think) a 40 day Spanish course. If you fail this course you lose your job. However this course is really designed to get you to meet the requirements. If you work at it you will pass.

3. Starting pay is about 40K a year that includes your overtime. 90% plus of new BP agents are assigned to CA, AZ, NM, or TX. You can get assigned to San Diego (where you'll probably wind up living in your car) or get assigned to some dismal middle of the desert post. You don't know where you're going until you finish school if the policy hadn't changed. This move will be on you.

Pay scale is dependent on where you are assigned. You will make more than 40k if you ate assigned to San Diego. Like 50k.

4. Bright side is if you get through 4 years of this you will be making 90 to over 100k after 4 years.

5. Many leave the USBP because they can't get out of where they're assigned. Once you're in the Federal system it's easier to get a job with another agency than it is from the outside. Switching agencies is not fronded upon. A friend of mine went from AD Coast Guard to Border Patrol in TX to CBP Agent in Miami to Marine Enforcement Officer in CBP in Puerto Rico to HSI Agent in Newark in 5 years.

Moves after your first are usually paid by the agency.

Your pension in the Federal system is based on 3 sources under the FERS system. Your pension which is only about 1.5% a year, your contributions to the Thrift Savings Plan (basically a 401K), and Social Security. If you retire and keep your earnings under the max allowed you will get a "Social Security Supplement" no matter what age you retire. This doesn't affect your SS when you turn retirement age.

I left a local PD to go to the Federal government. I'm glad I did and it worked for me. I never looked at retirement in any job I took. However, it all worked out extremely well for me. Looking back on it I could have been happy if I went to NJSP. I really wanted to go to NYPD but laying off 5000 cops in the 70s changed that.

I'm no expert. Just a guy who's been there, done that.

• Like 2

Which federal agency did you end up going to?

I wound up in US Customs. Customs was a great agency. I saw people from every Federal agency come to Customs. FBI, INS. DEA. ATF, IRS, etc. Once in very few people left Customs. They merged with Immigration when DHS was formed. Good idea but bad execution IMO. They took the patrol and inspection functions of both agencies and formed CBP. My job with US Customs Office of Investigations merged with Immigration Investigations to go to ICE and now HSI. The end result was two different agencies in DHS. It turned out like taking a police department and making the patrol and detective division and making two agencies. It created a lot of issues. Many are still being worked out. Immigration and Customs law are probably the most complex law there is. Now there is one agency that handles both.

The merger had a lot of obstacles thrown into it with the Obamanocchio Administration. Catch and release, mostly stopping deportations, and other policies hurt morale. Agents became agents because they wanted to lock up bad guys. Under Obamanocchio the duties became more administrative.

I have a lot of insight into what INS used to do. My brother worked in INS Investigations. They used to do Area Control in the old days. They would hit a factory, farm, or other place that hired a lot of illegals and round them up. Now it's called "Workplace Enforcement". They hit someplace and don't lock up the illegals. They just write up the employer for a fine for hiring them.

I know this will change under Trump.

Didnt trump put a freeze on all federal hiring?

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/01/24/trump-orders-hiring-freeze-for-much-federal-government.html

"President Trump on Monday issued an executive order implementing a hiring freeze across the federal government, with exceptions only for military, national security or public safety personnel."