Sign in to follow this  
Njbanshee

Over under

I have the Mossberg Silver Reserve II Field in 12ga.  I would actually recommend getting the Sporting model if you're going for mostly skeet/trap - it has ported barrels that soak up some of the recoil.  The field model is lighter for walking around while hunting.  Shooting a round of sporting clays with it can beat up the shoulder.

• Like 1

Consider sending the barrel(s) out to Magna-Port to have them pro+ported and back bored.  Will make a world of difference in recoil and muzzle rise.  I have seen a Stoeger Condor that was pro ported, pigeon ported, and backbored.  Completely different shotgun after that.  Also similar results when done to a autoloader.  

That's the Silver Reserve 1, not the 2nd gen.

I've had 0 issues with mine.  DeerSlayer has one too with no issues.

A friend of mine hunts with one all the time - hasn't had a problem.  Not sure if its a I or a II.  Beautiful gun, too

Take a look at Gun Broker.  There are currently a couple of nice NJ over/unders listed; including a stoeger, an Ithaca/SKB, and a Chas Daly/Miroku.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Over-Under-Shotguns/BI.aspx?State=NJ

That Ithaca / SKB 600 looks like exactly what he is looking for...I have an Ithaca/SKB 100 - a 12 gauge s/s - and its been my 'go-to' shotgun for walking the woods for deer for the past 20 years.  Extremely well-made.

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/616346937

That Ithaca / SKB 600 looks like exactly what he is looking for...I have an Ithaca/SKB 100 - a 12 gauge s/s - and its been my 'go-to' shotgun for walking the woods for deer for the past 20 years.  Extremely well-made.

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/616346937

SKB's are highly underrated, as are the C-D imported Miroku's.  Both are great used-guns and offer sound quality. 

I've had 0 issues with mine. DeerSlayer has one too with no issues.

I have one, as well.

When I first got it, the forend had a spot that there wasn't any finish on. Started talking to Mossberg/Maverick about it, then noticed that when I fired one barrel, the gun was almost impossible to break open (was an ejector issue). They took the gun back, and was good for the past 500 rounds (had one Federal load not go off the first time, put it back in and fired).

Last time I went to Salomon's was in mid-November, as I've just been busy each Tuesday that the weather was decent. When I cleaned the gun up, noticed a slight crack in the stock, right behind the trigger guard. It is about 0.5" long, aiming towards the wrist/checkering. Hopefully it is nice this Tuesday, as I want to shoot a round or two more through it... and if it gets bigger, Mossberg will be shipping it back and changing the stock out. Then I have to figure out what shotgun to use while it is being repaired.

Wouldn't mind doing an aftermarket stock, but it is a cheap shotgun (comparing to other entry level O/Us in the class). With the issues I had so far, I'm not as easy to recommend the gun... but stuff does happen. If Mossberg has to swap the stock, I'll have to see how it holds up after the fact. 500 rounds of Federal Target loads is not a huge test... shouldn't be a problem with any modern shotgun, especially one that Mossberg slaps their name on.

I've had 0 issues with mine. DeerSlayer has one too with no issues.

I had a firing pin issue with mine. But even with my minimal gun smith skill set, I was able to fix it myself with a dremel, and basic hand tools. That's after a decade of use. Probably a few thousand rounds down the barrel. Definitely a well made gun for the price.

There's a few O/U's for sale on the NJH forums today, even a Perazzi!

You can find a decent O/U for cheap if you shop used and find a gun that has a reputation for quality. 

I found a Miroku Charles Daly Miroku sixteen years ago, made in the 60's. Single-non-selective trigger, fixed IC/M chokes, 3" chambers, 26" bbls., extractors, bushed firing pins, a touch of real engraving, long-tang trigger guard, gorgeous wood, and a better wood-to-metal fit than on my Italian O/U's. Serves as a nice light upland gun.  You just have to know what you are looking for. 

• Like 1

I went down the same path last year. My dad is 81, arthritis in the hand, old torn rotator cuff, quad bypass,etc... but otherwise healthy. I wanted to find the softest shooting gun I could manage for under $1,000 so he could handle 100 rounds without pain. I scoured the used racks until I found a Remington 1100 LT-20. I even got a slip-on recoil pad to size the pull for him. What a smoooooooooth shooting gun!

So, we practiced on weekends for a few months and he did alright with the LT-20. One day I brought out a Stoeger STF3000 (Dick's special version of the Condor). $300 gun, nice lockup. Now he smokes'em and won't shoot anything else!

A bad back is a balance issue. I'd suggest a Montefeltro in 12ga with a slip on recoil pad. Happy shooting!

• Like 1