Sign in to follow this  
dino71

H&K .45 USP magazine failure

I have owned this gun since new (5/96) and never really used it that much, its still looks as new as the day I bought it and probably has seen less then 1500 rounds in its 22 of ownership. About a two months ago I was getting ready to go to the range and thought it would be a good idea to take it out of the safe so it can get some use. When I got to the range I noticed the mag sticking and didn't realize that the seam was coming undone, especially when loaded with ten rounds. Last Monday I called H&K and spoke to a really nice guy and he told me to mail the mag to them and after inspecting it they would come to a decision about replacement. Yesterday I received my new mag (a 12 rounder, the one I sent them was a 10) and I noticed that the welds on the new one I received look much better than the original mag from 1996. I tried to take a picture of both. I hope this new design is better and that I don't have to send back my other one too.

Here's the old mag design welds

post-4229-0-18121200-1485538073_thumb.jpg

Here's the new mag design welds

post-4229-0-02584700-1485538137_thumb.jpg

Has anyone else had this problem? I'm just glad that the customer service people were cool about this because when I called them they mentioned that the mags were only warrantied for one or two years. Anyway problem solved.

I have 4 10rnd mags from 2003 and 9 newer 12rnd mags (actually 4 are older, with the "military and police" federal AWB stamps on them) and have never seen this issue in any of them. Could have been a defective lot, but in all these years I have never seen this, and I have close to 10k rounds thru my UPS45 and use all the mags every time I shoot it.

I have 4 10rnd mags from 2003 and 9 newer 12rnd mags (actually 4 are older, with the "military and police" federal AWB stamps on them) and have never seen this issue in any of them. Could have been a defective lot, but in all these years I have never seen this, and I have close to 10k rounds thru my UPS45 and use all the mags every time I shoot it.

I know, even the mag I purchased from a show that has the extended floor plate (the one I just got has the extended floor plate too) has never failed me either. I still believe that the weld failed and allowed the seam to come undone. Now I want to hit the range and test it out :hunter: . The gun feels so much heavier with those two extra rounds.

I *vaguely* remember reading about something like this over on HKPRO. It was extremely rare.

Also HK sucks and they hate you. This was their way of proving that. :D

Ya know, I hate that fooking remark. I've had nothing but good luck with them and far and in between which it should be.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I gotta go find the recent twitter comment that explained why that "belief" exists.

eta: you know I was being sarcastic, right? HKCS is one of the best, if not the best.

I know. But no matter where it comes from, its no doubt that disgruntled customers started it somewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm going to have to paraphrase for now, since I can't find it for the life of me (and it's pissing me off I didn't save it.)

some people were getting into why HK supposedly thinks we suck and why they hate us. one guy pipes up with...

every time we came up with a cool toy you (U.S.) banned it. EVERY. FUCKING. TIME. THAT'S why HK thinks we suck and they hate us.

HK rep piped up "EXACTLY!"

If that is close, is it not fact? The US bans a lot of things and it does suck. But it seems the phrase was taken out of context. They were not talking about the customer or distributors. It seems to be the US Govt.

Make more sense? I'll reiterate. Their CS has been nothing but great imho.

Some bonehead disgruntled owner took the ball and ran with 'us as the customers suck'.

I love my HKs. All of them. Every one that is not purchased by others means more for us. [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1