orangesolo

SCOTUS to hold closed door conference on NJ gun law case

If you look back at previous justices they tend to retire prior to summer. The hearings take place and then the new justices are confirmed around August and September. So these justices start to hear cases at the beginning of the new session in October. But they are already on the court for other purposes.

The current justices include:

Justice Alito assumed office on January 31, 2006

Justice Thomas assumed office on October 23, 1991

Justice Kennedy assumed office on February 18, 1988

The full list is at: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Justices_of_the_Supreme_Court_of_the_United_States

I was hoping but he will be sworn in on the 10th which does us no good for next Thursdays decision.

At least I did not guess October!

Actually now it looks like he is starting this Monday. Why oh why did I listen to the NY Times!?

No. 16-7165   Title: Marc A. Stephens, Petitioner v. Edward A. Jerejian, Judge, Superior Court of New Jersey, Bergen County, et al. Docketed: December 13, 2016 Lower Ct: United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit

Case Nos.: (15-3992)   Decision Date: June 16, 2016   Rehearing Denied: July 13, 2016

~~~Date~~~  ~~~~~~~Proceedings  and  Orders~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Oct 11 2016 Petition for a writ of certiorari and motion for leave to proceed in forma pauperis filed. (Response due January 12, 2017) Jan 10 2017 Waiver of right of respondents Judge Honorable Edward A. Jerejian and John Jay Hoffman to respond filed. Jan 26 2017 DISTRIBUTED for Conference of February 17, 2017. Feb 21 2017 Petition DENIED. Mar 13 2017 Petition for Rehearing filed. Mar 22 2017 DISTRIBUTED for Conference of April 13, 2017. Apr 17 2017 Rehearing DENIED. Justice Gorsuch took no part in the consideration or decision of this petition.

I guess Stephens' timing was off.  He should have waiting a week or so to resubmit the petition so Gorsuch could have gotten involved.

Latest on Peruta:

Apr 17 2017

DISTRIBUTED for Conference of April 21, 2017.

Justice Gorsuch will have a chance to vote on certiorari Friday.  All depends on whether Kennedy is on board with the conservatives or liberals.

And/or,  Roberts....