Sign in to follow this  
KMA4626

question concerning legalities on building an ar

ok so i have decided to build an ar and i just picked up a lower. i plan on just picking up a new piece or two every pay check. my question is regarding the stock, barrel, and muzzle brake. I am aware that I cannot have a threaded barrel or adjustable stock but I can have them if they are permanently fixed. so would it be legal to purchase an adjustable stock, threaded barrel, and muzzle brake and go to a gun smith and have them permanently fixed? or do I have to purchase them already permanently in place? there really isn't a way to order the barrel i want with the muzzle brake i want already on it, and there is no way to know exactly where i want the stock set before i order it without getting some feel for it. thanks in advance.

100% legal to purchase parts you are speaking of.

Make sure your barrel with the muzzle brake attached is at least 16". Threaded barrel not an issue but the muzzle brake will need to be pin and welded on once it's all put together.

As for your stock as long as it's not attached to your lower it is legal to own. Once it's attached to the buffer tube and lower you will need to have permanently fixed.

Not sure where your located but Tier one Defense in mountainside does great work when your ready to put it all together. I suggest you put together as much of the rifle you can to get familiar with the system. It's actually pretty easy and fun once you get rolling. Also becomes addicting I'm currently in my 8th build.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do not believe you can technically have the sum of parts in your position that would equate to an assault weapon according to NJ classification

This.

Constructive Possession is a thing.

HOWEVER, unless you're promptly calling your local PD and announcing that you have all the parts to an un-assembled AR-15 and some of the parts aren't compliant as according to law, I doubt highly you're going to be in any trouble.