9thMarines

9mm with an easy to rack slide

Daughter got her FID and is waiting on two permits.  She has small hands and she has difficulty racking

the slide on my Hi-Power,Springfield 1911 and Browning Buckmark.

I've read the thread about guns for small hands and have some ideas from there, but what 9mm are

out there that are easy to rack.

Figure 9mm is best for home defense and inexpensive target shooting and soft shooting .   Her second gun will be a revolver. (belt & suspenders).

She is a school teacher so not looking for an expensive ,high end pistol.  Thanks

This

And most guns can drop down a pound or two on the recoil spring. 

A Glock 34 comes with a 17 pounder in it and every competition shooter puts in a 13 pound spring (it helps a lot with muzzle dive). 

• Like 2

The Hipower I can understand, but a Buckmark doesn't have a very heavy recoil spring. The Springer is (I believe) 9lb., so that should be fairly easy to rack too.

Sounds like she just isn't gripping it correctly.

As far as I know, I don't think you'll find a 9mm that is easier to rack than a 1911 with an 9lb. recoil spring. About the only thing you can do to lighten it up a touch is to drop the mainspring a few pounds lighter. A ~20 lb. mainspring might help quite a bit, just keep in mind that it will also lighten the trigger pull.

My wife was having trouble with both of my springfields (9 and 45).  So I told her focus on just holding the slide stationary with her left hand and instead push the frame (grip) forward while holding the slide.  Not exactly sure why or how, but it makes it TONS easier on her.  She is almost physically unable to rack it by pulling the slide back.  But by pushing the frame forward and simply holding the slide stationary, she can rack it easily every time. 

Give it a shot.

Also, bending the elbows and bringing the firearm close to your chest like doing a pec exercise will be a lot easier. Just be wary of muzzle direction.

Sent from an undisclosed location

I realize that cost is a factor, but the charging supports on the HK VP9 are quite functional. They really do help with getting a good purchase on the slide. I'd recommend her at least holding one in a store. The grip is also really ergonomically friendly, and can be adjusted to fit almost any size hand.

I have one (LE model with the factory night sights) and have no regrets.

• Like 1

My wife was having trouble with both of my springfields (9 and 45).  So I told her focus on just holding the slide stationary with her left hand and instead push the frame (grip) forward while holding the slide.  Not exactly sure why or how, but it makes it TONS easier on her.  She is almost physically unable to rack it by pulling the slide back.  But by pushing the frame forward and simply holding the slide stationary, she can rack it easily every time. 

Give it a shot.

Also, bending the elbows and bringing the firearm close to your chest like doing a pec exercise will be a lot easier. Just be wary of muzzle direction.

Sent from an undisclosed location

Exactly.....  I would stop looking for a firearm and teach a proper technique to rack the slide.... 

I have taught many a student who had issues at beginning of session, by end of session they were manipulating their firearm with no issues..... 

• Like 1

I'd second a VP9. A lady friend of mine with moderate arthritis in her weak side hand found it a night and day difference between a VP9 and P30, all because of the wings on the slide.

I'd also second the concept of working out proper racking technique as a first action.

My 4'11" 100 lb. wife can rack my Sig P938. I also bought her the handi racker. Works great and is easy to use. http://www.handi-racker.com/

Others that my wife can rack are a Sig P229. Sig Slides are very easy to rack after they have been broken in. My wife also likes my HK  VP9. Easy to rack with the small racking wings and without ever having shot it before she placed one dead center into her bullseye. However she carries a Ruger LCP II when she leaves the house. She has a CCW License where we live in Florida. THe new LCP II is a .380 but with modern ammo, it will penetrate 10 and even 12 inches plus it is small enough to fit into her purse with built in holster. Ruger had made the new version of the LCP with a lighter to rack slide. Around her, it is "THE" gun for women to carry and a lot of old men too. :)

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the great input and the helpful video.  Will definitely check out your suggestions.

Will use that video to help myself.  Being in my 80's I don't seem to have the hand and finger strength

that I used to.  Using the HKS mag loader for the Hi-Power really helps and the Buckmark was hard due

to that strong hammer spring. Solved that one by cutting and shaping two pieces of black velcro and attaching

to them to the rear of the slide. Now thats not a problem.

Many thanks,

kenny

The Hipower I can understand, but a Buckmark doesn't have a very heavy recoil spring. The Springer is (I believe) 9lb., so that should be fairly easy to rack too.

Sounds like she just isn't gripping it correctly.

As far as I know, I don't think you'll find a 9mm that is easier to rack than a 1911 with an 9lb. recoil spring. About the only thing you can do to lighten it up a touch is to drop the mainspring a few pounds lighter. A ~20 lb. mainspring might help quite a bit, just keep in mind that it will also lighten the trigger pull.

I second that. I'm 4'11 with small hands. M&Ps are usually easy to rack, but the guns you mentioned should be fine if she is using proper technique. Send her to one of the ladies only meetups at Woodland Park - SAW Club. 10 bucks for members 15 for non members. I can get her on a variety of guns to see what is going on. PM me if you want more info. 

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the great input and the helpful video.  Will definitely check out your suggestions.

Will use that video to help myself.  Being in my 80's I don't seem to have the hand and finger strength

that I used to.  Using the HKS mag loader for the Hi-Power really helps and the Buckmark was hard due

to that strong hammer spring. Solved that one by cutting and shaping two pieces of black velcro and attaching

to them to the rear of the slide. Now thats not a problem.

Many thanks,

kenny

I would get one of these, they work great. I just got my first one based on a review by someone on this board and I wish I had one 10 years ago.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/262757949983

i also have the Beretta Px4 Storm which is easy to rack. but i have a bias towards the XD 9. I just like the gun better due to the multiple safeties built into it. take her to a gun store and let her rack a few guns. Maybe she won't want a girlie gun.. 

How about a S&W 929 or 986? There easy to rack because they don't have a slide. Seriously 9mm 1911 have very light recoil springs and are easy to manipulate.