checko

Training 2017

Sights and Triggers released their 2017 schedule.

I'll likely take Carbine I with my Brothers-in-law.

Maybe the AK Operators class too.

Ooooooo And Shotgun.

I like shooting :D

I'd love to hook up with Joe again. If you have dates in mind let me know and I'll take off brother

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Northern Red has 19-20 Aug Gunfighter Carbine - Bethlehem, PA

Vickers has a 3 day Rifle/Pistol/CQB Course Elmer, NJ March 9-11, 2017

Defoor and Costa are locally sold out.

This year, I think I'll stick with Joe at S&T (best bang for the buck) and spend more time behind the trigger.

I had a 1/2 day session with Langdon last August. Holy shit! Eye opening to say the least. Pay close attention to his thoughts on trigger reset. I had a hard time implementing it at first, but once I got it, I'm a huge fan.

Prepare for some ribbing if you are shooting a Glock or other striker fired pistol.

I had a 1/2 day session with Langdon last August. Holy shit! Eye opening to say the least. Pay close attention to his thoughts on trigger reset. I had a hard time implementing it at first, but once I got it, I'm a huge fan.

Prepare for some ribbing if you are shooting a Glock or other striker fired pistol.

Care to share?

Good to know about the trigger reset. He is the master of DA/SA so I can see where striker fired pistols may be second class citizens in his world. With that said, I will most likely 'rock out with my Glock out' since that what Im shooting the most this year.

Also plan on taking at least one and maybe up to three Sights and Trigger courses this year. Carbine 1 repeat with a couple buddies, Low light in Nov, and maybe the pistol carbine course.

BIG TEXT SENT

:D

Good to know about the trigger reset. He is the master of DA/SA so I can see where striker fired pistols may be second class citizens in his world. With that said, I will most likely 'rock out with my Glock out' since that what Im shooting the most this year.

Also plan on taking at least one and maybe up to three Sights and Trigger courses this year. Carbine 1 repeat with a couple buddies, Low light in Nov, and maybe the pistol carbine course.

I shot it with my Glock. He's just a big DA/SA guy, specifically Berettas.

If your gun pukes or your having trouble, his first response is get a DA/SA gun. It's all good natured.

Thanks for the heads up on S&T.  It's a lot closer than West Virginia.

Was considering training with Costa, but while I was pondering, I see that he is sold out.

I've trained a lot locally with GFH, MDTS, and RTSP, and have traveled up to Sig Sauer.  Always looking to learn from other people.  I don't even necessarily want to learn a lot of new stuff, just to have the opportunity to review and practice things I've already learned.  

:D

I shot it with my Glock. He's just a big DA/SA guy, specifically Berettas.

If your gun pukes or your having trouble, his first response is get a DA/SA gun. It's all good natured.

I said once during the part of a class on malfunctions, that you can either learn to clear them or you can just get a Glock.

Sights and Triggers released their 2017 schedule.

I'll likely take Carbine I with my Brothers-in-law.

Maybe the AK Operators class too.

Ooooooo And Shotgun.

I like shooting :D

Took two classes with Joe last summer. Pistol 2 and Carbine 2. Great guy.

I already signed up for the Costa rifle class.

I plan on attending the S&T Pistol 1 with the wife, she hasn't taken a training class in years. The new AK class he put up sounds like fun. J haven't taken a training class with an AK yet. Think I'll be down for that as well.

I will probably take Carbine I again with Joe. It was a great class!

IMO, entry level classes have the highest ROI for most non-professional shooters because the basics really get scrutinized and hammered upon.  I showed up to a Carbine 1 class taught by a local guy who was in Yeti's CCE class with me.  He looked at me and said, "What're you doing here?  This is pretty basic and below your proficiency."  So I explained that I was there not for new drills and techniques necessarily but for him to find what I can do at a basic level to improve.  Knowing that, he put me under a microscope and sure enough, he had some tips for me about my trigger finger and foot placement.  It may not be as sexy as the shoothouse or team drills but investing in the basics pays off in the long run as there's no replacement for good reps.

• Like 1

IMO, entry level classes have the highest ROI for most non-professional shooters because the basics really get scrutinized and hammered upon.  I showed up to a Carbine 1 class taught by a local guy who was in Yeti's CCE class with me.  He looked at me and said, "What're you doing here?  This is pretty basic and below your proficiency."  So I explained that I was there not for new drills and techniques necessarily but for him to find what I can do at a basic level to improve.  Knowing that, he put me under a microscope and sure enough, he had some tips for me about my trigger finger and foot placement.  It may not be as sexy as the shoothouse or team drills but investing in the basics pays off in the long run as there's no replacement for good reps.

I definitely agree.

Though I will say I made the mistake of thinking Joe's Carbine I was Carbine 101 when I took it the first time. I think I actually took that class with HE and checko. It was still a great experience but definitely higher level than I was expecting

• Like 1

Has anyone taken any classes with Gun for Hire? Are they worth it? They are close to me so it would be very convenient but haven't seen their classes talked about much. The classes are pretty short (4-5 hrs) but also only like $200.

Has anyone taken any classes with Gun for Hire? Are they worth it? They are close to me so it would be very convenient but haven't seen their classes talked about much. The classes are pretty short (4-5 hrs) but also only like $200.

$200/4hr is a rip off IMHO. A class by a top tier guy costs $525/14-16hr. I get that a top tier guy will also have more students per class, I get that some don't like that.

Sights and Trigger has awesome classes for $150/7-8hours, his classes are small and he is a great instructor. Took classes wth Joe for the first time last summer and was blown away by the value. Going to take at least one class with him this summer and plan to bring the wife.

I have no idea where G4H gets off charging what they charge but different strokes for different folks. My friend took their class and liked it.

S&T is an excellent value. Big fan of Joe and his classes.

$200 for half a day At GfH is rediculous. I had a PM convo here with the owner for GfH a while ago. Did not inspire confidence, and neither does his bio. He came across as being only in it for the money.

I have taken classes from some of the premier gunfighters out there. $600 for a three day class was average (each day was 10-12 hours) from tier one dudes and serious comp shooters with a LE or .mil background

• Like 1

Just spent the past two days training with Kyle Defoor down in Princeton. $575 was the price of the class. We went from 8am to 6:30 on day one and 7:30 to 5pm on day two. To say I got my money's worth is an understatement. The lessons he taught us are priceless and could save a life. This comes from his many years of real world experience as a tier one operator. The guy has figured out what works in a bad situation and what will get you killed. A little concerning because some of the standards that are taught by many instructors are not the best way to do things. We learned this as demonstrated through his teaching examples.

This is my second time training with him. Out of all the premier, elite trainers out there I have gotten the MOST out of his classes. I have trained with most of the top shelf guys out on the training circuit today so keep that in mind. Last years course was on pistol alone. I learned a TON and practiced it over the last year.  This year it was pistol and combatives. We trained pistol in the morning and early afternoon then did combatives on day one late afternoon into evening and blade work on day two into the afternoon. He basically taught us five combative moves that we can practice on pads at home that will quickly neutralize the bad guy. Thats it, practice those things and you have something to use in a fighting situation. Similar training in blade work. He went over the nomenclature and what to look for when buying a combat carry blade which was very useful.  We were taught a template of 9 movements that need to be practiced constantly to become part of muscle memory. Also spend some time defending a knife attack. The combatives and blade work modules were HUGE in my humble opinion. I realize that the pistol is the last thing you use (if you are carrying one) in a self defense situation. Inside of three yards I learned that a pistol is not the weapon of choice. In fact, the guy who wins the fight inside of three yards is usually the one who strikes first. If your opponent throws the first punch and lands with it there is a good chance your not winning that one. He showed us how to neutralize this. He emphasized that you need to have a plan for everything and that plan has to be executed in your training so it becomes second nature.

He also did a module on combat trauma and essentials of wound stabilization from a compact med kit that everyone should have access to. Again, what he taught us is the things he learned over the years from real world experience. Some simple stuff like how and when, where to properly apply a tourniquet could easily save a life in a wounded individual. Problem is that most people have never been taught this or have been taught incorrectly which is dangerous. His mindset lecture is pretty famous. You can see a version of it on you tube. It changes every class. Basically comes down to are you willing to do what needs to be done in a fighting situation. Not only that but are you willing to pay the secondary and tertiary consequences of your actions after the deed is done. Some heavy stuff to take in and digest. Nobody gets a free ride but everyone has the opportunity to die well. Where does that line up with your willingness ?

If you can,  I highly recommend training with Kyle DeFoor. Its really tough to sign up for his classes b/c he limits class size to 14 and only has a handful of classes a year. His classes sell out within hours.  Understand that about 80% of his work is still done with the military and LE so he doesnt have alot of free time for civilian classes. Even my class of 14 was about 2/3 LE in it. They were blown away with alot of information they were getting too. Things they could use immediately in the field.

$200 for half a day At GfH is rediculous. I had a PM convo here with the owner for GfH a while ago. Did not inspire confidence, and neither does his bio. He came across as being only in it for the money.

I have taken classes from some of the premier gunfighters out there. $600 for a three day class was average (each day was 10-12 hours) from tier one dudes and serious comp shooters with a LE or .mil background

$200/4hr is a rip off IMHO. A class by a top tier guy costs $525/14-16hr. I get that a top tier guy will also have more students per class, I get that some don't like that.

Sights and Trigger has awesome classes for $150/7-8hours, his classes are small and he is a great instructor. Took classes wth Joe for the first time last summer and was blown away by the value. Going to take at least one class with him this summer and plan to bring the wife.

I have no idea where G4H gets off charging what they charge but different strokes for different folks. My friend took their class and liked it.

Thanks for the info. I always thought the price was high as well based on the cost of the multi-day classes from guys like Fischer and Defoor. I only ask because it was so conveniently close. No travel costs, low ammo cost, etc. I think I'll pass and go somewhere else instead.

I'm already signed up for "Essential Carbine" with Fischer in April. I'm going to try and do his handgun class in July at Alliance (hopefully meet Ty from Midwest!). I'm trying to fit some S&T classes in as well. His AK platform class looks like it will fit in. For those that have been to Joe's classes before, do you think people can do Carbine or Handgun 1 if they have only taken one formal class of each? I would like to take his fundamentals class for each but don't hunk it will fit in the schedule.

I had a similar experience. When they first got their own range I emailed him asking if I could take the mkre advanced classes without taking the basic ones. The class descriptions on their website listed the lower lever classes as a prerequisite. I explained to him all the other classes I have taken which were plentiful and all I got in response was basically an "I don't give a fuck" I had to take the entry lever classes and work my way up. This seemed like nothing more than a money making scheme.

No instructor in that building has the credentials to charge more per hour of training than a Vickers, Hackathrone, Heley, Holland, Costa et al, but they do, and people pay so whatever. I won't pay them a dime.

• Like 1