Displaced Texan

Tell me about the GSG-522

I have a GSG-5, which is a pre-H&K lawsuit gun. You can convert it to look MP5-ish, but if you want to do some good upgrades, look up RRages.

http://rrages.com

They are nice, but ATI stopped bringing them in. If it is an earlier gun (don't think it effects the 522), look into the chamber and make sure you see a rivet. If not, I believe ATI will still upgrade them.

I never had issue with mine. You can do a lot to them, more so outside of NJ. Very good gun, especially if you want a MP5 clone. But if you just want a .22, aftermarket makes the 10/22 a better choice. I have both, as well as a Marlin 60 and dedicated.22 AR upper. Can't have too many .22s... they are similar to shotguns.

Have had a GSG-5 since they first came out.

Absolute must - the fasteners that hold the bolt together and to its carrier have a tendency to loosen and walk out.  At the very least you need to apply blue loc-tite to the factory fasteners.  Strongly recommend getting the bolt upgrade kit from rrages:

http://rrages.com/screws/net.htm

The stock on mine was hollow and thin plastic.  The weak construction of it plus the relatively loose mount of the stock to the receiver means that your stock WILL break/crack at some point down the road.

I replaced the original stock with an actual MP5 stock (solid polymer) and it is very solid now.

I wouldn't characterize mine as a "bitch" to clean, but it is more involved than many rifles.  To get the bolt out requires removing the stock and then unscrewing an internal allen screw and removing a keeper lug.  Once you do that the bolt will slide out the rear of the receiver and the the trigger group disconnects and drops off the bottom.  That allows enough access to the interior of the receiver for regular cleaning.  Cleaning the barrel is much easier using a bore snake as opposed to a cleaning rod.

My GSG-5 does not like pure lead/soft, uncoated bullets - they have a tendency to hang up feeding into the breech (usually because the nose of the bullet gets deformed getting pushed into the breech).  Copper plated bullets feed much better.

Once I got the disassembly/assembly process down and stuck to plated bullets I've found mine really enjoyable - had it for over 5 years and intend to keep it much longer.  It's a great and fun "intro" gun for people who are shooting for the first time.

I had the 522-SD. It was fun when it actually worked. I really recommend only using CCI mini mags. Any other HV bulk ammo was too dirty for me to get a full range session out of it, without major malfunctions. Then came the pain in the ass cleaning part to make it work again. I wound up selling it, and replaced mine with a 15/22, haven't looked back since.

I have an original pre-lawsuit model. Like someone above mine has a real mp5 stock and its solid.

It was not working so great and and when cleaning it the extractor fell off the bolt. The old ones were press fit vs. the new one's which are rivited. I sent it back to ATI and the replaced all kinds of stuff. They even put in a new barrel, all for FREE! It runs like a top now.

13633418473_93b0834f05_c.jpg

• Like 1

I have an original pre-lawsuit model. Like someone above mine has a real mp5 stock and its solid.

It was not working so great and and when cleaning it the extractor fell off the bolt. The old ones were press fit vs. the new one's which are rivited. I sent it back to ATI and the replaced all kinds of stuff. They even put in a new barrel, all for FREE! It runs like a top now.

13633418473_93b0834f05_c.jpg

Exactly what I am looking for...

As has been said, most pain in the ass gun I own, but also one of the most fun when it works right.

I suffered from light strikes after a few months of ownership. GSG sent me a new firing pin, which seems to have solved the issue, though i would like to see a deeper impression than I get.

Gsg says you shouldnt have to take the bolt apart to clean the gun. I strongly disagree with that statement, every other cleaning (or 2, Im lazy) i have to go in there and clean it so the damn gun runs reliably. And locktite the screws, otherwise the shitty parts break (recently replaced the black metal shroud around the serial number on the bolt due to a crack i assume was caused by a loose screw).

I had a post lawsuit gun but got the parts kit to make it mostly look like the real deal. Also have a upgraded stock, did hk pins, and a few other things im forgetting.

Promag 10rd mags are easily modified to hold 14 rounds, functions great in my gun. Factory mags seem to cause more feed issues than my promag, but believe its either a specific mag or possibly just the lead rounds someone mentioned. You will get deformed rounds using this gun.

Be wary of HK slapping the gun if you dont have a buffer installed. Heard of breakage due to over-enthusiasm...

I have one that I upgraded to the SD look using the kit. Initially, I had FTF certain .22 rounds, but have not had that problem after the rifle was broken in and I switched to CCI mini mags or CCI AR-15 .22. Yeah, cleaning takes a bit of time. They do look cool and are fun to shoot and they are relatively inexpensive to purchase.

I keep seeing CDNN listing them for 249.99 which is hard to pass up even with a 20 buck shipping fee.  I usually see them for 325-350.  But what's with the conversion kit I keep seeing.  What does it actually convert? 

It makes the shitty-looking parts of the gun look more like that of an MP5.  A lot fewer random lines and bumps all over the gun that had to be added after the lawsuit.  I think the parts kit is from their pre-lawsuit run.

Edit:

From what I remember when I did my conversion...cosmetic changes are:

Trigger group housing

Cocking tube/front sight

Cocking handle

Fire selector switch

I forget if the paddle mag release was already part of the original GSG

Kit I got had parts for the MP5K variant too - obviously they won't fit this gun.  It was a bit of work to get it all installed, but the looks are so much better than mine was from the factory.

And if I didn't mention it before, get a buffer of some kind for the cocking tube - easy to do when you're already disassembling it anyway (though some may not even require disassembly to install).

gsg522sd_sm.jpg

http://malice4you.com/images/realsteel/gsg522sd.jpg - full-res version

http://media.server.theshootingwarehouse.com/hires/62306.png - quick image I found to compare.

Edited by Malice4you
  • Like 1