Avi

In Need Of Piano Tuner

I have no experience with pianos but can't you tune basically anything with youtube ?

this signature exceeds the 15 character capacity count

That's kind of a specialized trade. You can damage the cast iron plate or the bridge on the soundboard if you don't know what you're doing. Plus adjusting the dampeners isn't easy either. I've watched my old man do it enough times to know you definitely need some formal training to get it right. Especially if you're dealing with an expensive piano like he's talking about. Playing around with an old grammar school upright is one thing. But when you're talking about a piece costing thousands, just let a pro do it.

I have no experience with pianos but can't you tune basically anything with youtube ?

piano's are very complex you def need a pro. 

If you have a decent ear with good relative pitch, and a tuning fork you could do it yourself.  For a cheap piano I might recommend it as a learning experience, but I would not touch a nice Steinway myself.  Hire a pro!

• Like 1

If you have a decent ear with good relative pitch, and a tuning fork you could do it yourself.  For a cheap piano I might recommend it as a learning experience, but I would not touch a nice Steinway myself.  Hire a pro!

Tuning fork is old school.  You can do the same with an electronic tuner, a tuning hammer and a bunch of rubber wedges, however this is a Steinway, I'd go with a pro myself.

Tuning fork is old school.  You can do the same with an electronic tuner, a tuning hammer and a bunch of rubber wedges, however this is a Steinway, I'd go with a pro myself.

Oh and I think you need a metronome with the tuning fork so you can time the "beats" produced by the different intervals.

I have tuned several older uprights using an electronic tuner, we learned how in college, some were so out of tune I was able to vastly improve them just by ear.  But most of these were several hundred dollar pianos nothing like a Steinway

Definitely recommend finding someone who does this for a living.