jackandjill

Anyone would like to host a Honey Bee Hive ? Bergen County

I have been keeping Honey Bees in the backyard. Looking for additional spots (backyard, roof of commercial building etc). 

I buy the hive, bees and I take care of the maintenance, pest management etc.  You are more than welcome to watch, learn, ask questions etc. 

At the end of the year, if I get honey from that hive, more than happy to share some with you. 

If you are interested and are within 15 mile radius of Montvale, NJ,  PM me. 

• Like 1

Very cool idea. Id love to have a hive at my place especially because I have a small apple orchard and a decent garden but the wife is allergic to bees.

Thanks. Yeah, no go if someone got life threatening allergies to bees.  First year, I got stings right on nose and lips, while I was messing with bees. Swelled up like pumpkin :-), but nothing threatening the respiratory system.

Now its like a mosquito bite, sometimes don't even realize. 

What does the hive setup look like? Can you post a picture. I would consider this...

I hive looks like the link below. Ofcourse the height changes depending on the season and its painted with light blue / yellow / clear wood etc.  The type of lid may change.

The hive would need a sunny spot, southern exposure. Even better if you have fenced off garden. I would say the hive would take up about 5x5 ft area. 

PM me if you prefer a phone call. 

https://www.amazon.com/Valley-Bee-Supply-H105-10-Frame/dp/B00NU9I2I0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1486419327&sr=8-2&keywords=langstroth+beehive

Do you teach how to do beekeeping? I've got a hive box I've been wanting to get set up, and as soon as we're done with the landscaping I want to get it going this spring/summer.

If you are nearby, sure.  But I think you are litte far off from Montvale, NJ.  More than happy to answer any questions, share what I learnt etc. 

I definitely recommend joining a beekeeping association (http://www.njbeekeepers.org/). Many of the branches have free mentoring program.  I also suggest to start in Spring (April) and not in summer. 

I got the OK from the misses as well but the hive would have to go on the outside of out backyard fence... There is a 100' wide Rockland Electric easement through the back of our property and we do not use that part of lot. It gets afternoon sun.. I put a smudge on the picture of where the hive would need to go.

c2e61bfe2d7ba5fef11d6d2cb7de57cf.jpg

• Like 1

Cool Idea - I was debating setting up a small hive on my new property when it's done - but you said it needs to have sun and have southern exposure... The area I was thinking of is wooded... darn.

You can always try. Research seem to indicate better survival / pest control with full sun exposure vs shade. 

I got the OK from the misses as well but the hive would have to go on the outside of out backyard fence... There is a 100' wide Rockland Electric easement through the back of our property and we do not use that part of lot. It gets afternoon sun.. I put a smudge on the picture of where the hive would need to go.

Thanks for the offer. PM sent. 

I have been keeping Honey Bees in the backyard. Looking for additional spots (backyard, roof of commercial building etc). 

I buy the hive, bees and I take care of the maintenance, pest management etc.  You are more than welcome to watch, learn, ask questions etc. 

At the end of the year, if I get honey from that hive, more than happy to share some with you. 

If you are interested and are within 15 mile radius of Montvale, NJ,  PM me. 

I just last week completed the course at the Sussex County Beekeepers Association. 

I would like to but I would hate for it to turn into another one of those things that I put off to "next week." It's not cheap to get started either.

I was thinking maybe of just getting one "nuc" hive though.

I just last week completed the course at the Sussex County Beekeepers Association. 

I would like to but I would hate for it to turn into another one of those things that I put off to "next week." It's not cheap to get started either.

I was thinking maybe of just getting one "nuc" hive though.

You are absolutely right, they are not cheap. Thanks to latest pests, it isn't what it used to be back in 80s. They need close eye on health.

From my experience, they need frequent (every 15 days or so) checkup, specially during Spring build up.  You can probably get away with bit less if you are in rural area. Swarming is a concern in urban area.  "Nuc" are starter hives, but within a month, they will outgrow and swarm away. 

Grew up on a farm. We had our own hives for a few years when we had crops that relied heavily on bees for pollination.  Unless you mess with them, the bees don't mess with you.  As a kid, we thought nothing of walking right past the hive.  The only time we ever got stung is if we accidentally stepped on a bee walking across the lawn.  Bees are interesting.  If I wasn't 2 hours away, I'd go for it just so my kids could learn about something new.

I'd been meaning to take that course for 25 years. Had I done so back then I would have had hives. I can barely keep up with the hobbies I have. I'll go to their meetings (one is tomorrow) and help out at their hives but leave the heavy stuff to people with more vim and vigor.

I can ask my mother in law, who lives in Ramsey, if she wants a hive. She has a perfect place for two or three.

• Like 1

I'd been meaning to take that course for 25 years. Had I done so back then I would have had hives. I can barely keep up with the hobbies I have. I'll go to their meetings (one is tomorrow) and help out at their hives but leave the heavy stuff to people with more vim and vigor.

I can ask my mother in law, who lives in Ramsey, if she wants a hive. She has a perfect place for two or three.

That would be awesome.  Appreciate it.