Sign in to follow this  
Inc88

Older Jericho 941 issues ( FTE )

I have an early 90s style Jericho 941 thats been having issues since i purchased it recently this year. At least once per box I have been getting stovepipes and failures to eject from a range of 9mm loads from 115 to 147gr from various manufacturers. I've put around 600 rounds through it and I have even replaced the extractor and the spring with a more powerful wolff extractor spring. I've noticed spent shells landing at my feet, last spent round falling out of the magwell when I reload, and stovepipes in every direction ( up, down, forward and backwards ). I've had one or 2 failures to feed but the mag is old and beat up so i have 2 new ones on the way although i doubt it has anything to do with the FTE ( the gun has some wear and tear ). When I got it i did a detailed stripdown and clean and made sure to pay attention to under the extractor  and spring and even gave a good cleaning to the mag. I keep it well oiled and have tried the rails with a few drops of oil to a light coating a grease. The gun cycles easily by hand and i dont feel any binding, there was no rust on it when i got it but it does have its dents and scratches and came with a broken decocker that I've repaired. I think the recoil spring could be part to blame but I'm not sure if it would be too stiff or too worn out. Also the recoil spring is the older captive style so I dont know of any good replacements for it. I'm frustrated because I wanted to run this gun in IDPA a few times and id like to salvage this gun instead to selling.

Here are notes from my last range trip:

remington 115gr

1 stovepipe / last round didnt eject / some/few weak ejection

lawman 115gr

1 stovepipe / 2 failures to eject last round / weak ejection

pmc bronze 115gr

3 stovepipes / very weak ejection

blazer brass 124gr

1 stovepipe / failure to eject last round / some weak ejection

winchester white box 147gr

1 stovepipe  / failure to extract from barrel completely causing new round to jam into it / failure to eject / some weak ejection

lawman 147gr

stovepipe / failure to eject last round / failure to extract from barrel completely causing new round to jam into it / some weak ejection

http://imgur.com/a/TFpnd Some pictures of the insides

Too add to what i said.. I also tried everything from death grips, forced limp wristing, and 1 handed shooting with no noticeable difference. Generally speaking tho I dont think these issues are of the limp wristing type in this case.

Brass looks normal? No abnormalities? 

Seems like something is slowing down the slide velocity or there is a burr or something in the chamber or the rails perhaps? 

If you take pics and post em. Others with keener eyes might notice something out of whack too.

Seems like something is slowing down the slide velocity or there is a burr or something in the chamber or the rails perhaps?

If you take pics and post em. Others with keener eyes might notice something out of whack too.

Polish chamber and feed ramp?well feed ramp only for Ftf.

Added a small album with pics. I did some minor rail polishing but not much and the gun racks smoothly and easily besides when it rides slowly over the hammer but even then I dont think the gun would bind under recoil because of the slide ridding the hammer.

The ejector is part of the sear housing. How does that look? Is it chipped, bent or broken? 

113910.jpg

Looks just like the one you posted in the picture imo

Chamber pic please

Added more pics to the album

Stock recoil spring?

From what I'm aware its stock. I didnt change it but i didnt know the older jerichos had a captive recoil spring assembly. I know my S/O's baby eagle has one similar to a cz 75

Sounds like extractor.

Already changed it for a new one. i said ejector in my post but i edited it to say extractor.

I'd polish the chamber with a dremel and try that.

Smooth is the enemy of friction.

1 out of 50?

Up to 3 out of a box of 50 but mostly 1 per box and I dont have issues dropping a spend shell back into the gun when its disassembled but ill give polishing it a try tonight.

1) try new mags. If the lips are worn or jacked in some way, the bullets in the mag can hit the ejecting round and muck it up

2) replace the recoil spring with factory specs. you have no idea what the last dude put in there. 

It does appear that my mag may have a worn spring. Compared to my S/O's baby eagle the follower doesn't sit as high and the spring isnt as strong but hers is a 40 cal mine is a 9 ( dont know if there is a difference in mags ). I have 2 new ones on the way..

I'm leaning on getting a new recoil rod and springs. People have said elsewhere the captive one isnt standard in the older all steel models not sure how true that is. Springs tho are going to be a bit hard for me to find ( I've started to look ) but I've found wolff ones for the cz75 but idk what weight spring I should buy.

Edit: The captive recoil assembly i have isnt the DPM recoil reduction one and i cant find anything on an OEM one other then one disassembly youtube video featured one but was never commentedd on.

the CZ springs should work as the gun is likely to have the same dynamics. Try a 14lb or so, if I recall that is the factory weight spring for CZs

Ok will do. I might grab one more spring just in case. Should i go stronger or weaker to go along with the 14lb one?

This is the site I'm looking for springs at

https://www.gunsprings.com/index.php?page=items&cID=1&mID=16&dID=91

Also this recoil spring guide should work on my fullsize right?

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Products/114790H.htm

Have you studied the rim of a spent case that did not extract?  Did it look like it took extra effort to extract?

From what I've seen and I took a few home with me they all look good to me. I only reload for rifles but if i did for pistols the ones i fired today i would use again.

More to add. Messing around with my jericho, glock 19, and my S/Os baby eagle(its the compact) i can feel a difference when i rack the slides. I feel like I can rack the Jericho all day but the g19 and the baby eagle have more resistance in comparison....shouldn't my jericho be the most difficult since its a full sized steel frame?

Remove the firing pin. Make sure that you don't have stuff in the firing pin channel. Get in there with something and dig, compress air the SOB, etc. Be maximally aggressive short of doing damage. 

Had a baby eagle purchased in like 2002 that was a jam o matic. Went through 1500 rounds trying to fix it of stupid jams. It turned out to be a crescent spaed piece of swarf from machining that was wedged in the channel like a compressed c clip. It cause the firing pin to move slightly sluggishly and that affected the ability of the next case to move up the breech face properly, for the fired case to eject properly, etc. 

And no, a full sized pistol with mass has more inertia, so usually is sprung lighter than a compact. 

Remove the firing pin. Make sure that you don't have stuff in the firing pin channel. Get in there with something and dig, compress air the SOB, etc. Be maximally aggressive short of doing damage. 

Had a baby eagle purchased in like 2002 that was a jam o matic. Went through 1500 rounds trying to fix it of stupid jams. It turned out to be a crescent spaed piece of swarf from machining that was wedged in the channel like a compressed c clip. It cause the firing pin to move slightly sluggishly and that affected the ability of the next case to move up the breech face properly, for the fired case to eject properly, etc. 

And no, a full sized pistol with mass has more inertia, so usually is sprung lighter than a compact. 

Whent back in there for a cleaning. Didnt come across anything to raise concern. Added a few pics to the imgur album.

Finally got the new imagur pics . That cylinder should look like a mirror. And what's with the fuzz.?

Too heavy spring( used gun) will cause short stroking.

I love trouble shooting. Let us know what you find out.

Fuzz is from q-tip i used to clean it before I was finished. Would an old recoil spring still be too heavy for the gun to cycle? I think my captive recoil spring rod is from the old 41ae kits ( not the stainless 41ae spring tho) and its honestly one of my easiest guns to manually cycle.

Was able to compare my jericho to a baby eagle just recently. My ejector does looks a bit worn and its profile isn't square anymore ( more rounded out ). I added pics to the album showing the 2. I might want to try replacing the sear cage so i can try a new ejector. Would a sear cage from a compact baby eagle (40 cal)work in a full size jericho(9mm)? Not sure if a shorter ejector would cause this issue tho but when I manually cycle the gun slowly with a spent shell in it the ejector seems to want to push the brass up then out. Also when i manually cycle the gun with the spent shell normally it still wants to jam up/not go out regardless if i let the slide go or hold it open.

Your last option is reprofiling the ejector. On some CZs as the gun aged, it benefited from angling the ejector surface the other way or square. If you look at your 40 is looks more square as well. I would obtain a new sear cage first if I were you

When i said new ejector i meant i replaced the sear cage with one almost exactly like the one pictured in the album :/. The new sear cage's ejector is square and appears new. So other then getting an even lighter recoil spring than 14lbs I'm at a bit of a loss with this one.

Really banging my head against a wall with this one.. The gun will eject absolutely fine then randomly with no noticeable cause start weakly ejecting about 10 or so round ( this is also when the gun will jam ) before going back to normal. This happens at any point in a mag and I cant imagine what would work well one second then stop working another. My LGS said its the recoil spring rotating in place around the guide rod to a worn spot then causing the issue for a short period of time but I've tried a new recoil spring and guide rod since then with no luck. I've also had no luck searching for anything that seems similar to these issues online..