302w

Land

If you were looking for cabin land, where would you look and what would you expect to pay?

I found a small, half acre lot for cheap that I got my hopes up with. It is in the Poconos and unfortunately in a HOA. There goes my plan of an outhouse.

I'd love plumbing but the cost rises substantially.

A water source elevated from structure( even if only a few feet). Good south facing exposure.

I heard of many a hunting cabin starting out as one of those large pre made sheds. You can't even purchase the material for what you can buy them for.

Cell phone reception.

And zero Nieghbor's and good timber.

Not much left within an hour of DWG.  Area grew up just to fast, now littered with abandoned foreclosures.  Not much in hunting land now.  Need to be at least two hours west of DWG minimum.  Clinton, Potter, Lycoming, Bradford, Tioga.  Those counties in hunting zones 2G, 3A, 3B, 3C are the hot spots.

Land is private, cheap, and the lakes are beautiful. A friend has a lake house, a bit more than a cabin, but every summer it's the spot to be.

Been looking for some land in VT and NH.  Appreciate if you got any RE connections in Maine. 

PS - Sorry for hijacking OP thread. I will open separate one.

Been looking for some land in VT and NH. Appreciate if you got any RE connections in Maine.

PS - Sorry for hijacking OP thread. I will open separate one.

Oh please. The worst you can do is make me move to Maine.

• Like 1

I can help here. I was in desperate need for a slice of heaven to get me away from NJ for my 2 passions, atvs and shooting. I looked EVERYWHERE and had a small budget. NY is where its at. I have 10 square acres and it already had a cabin that wasnt finished. Had electric ran to it and brand new septic tank under a large outhouse. I paid only $15000! I dont have a well but I could actually live there with my water system. Its a perfect spot too as Im only 20 minutes above Pa and 10 minutes from several nice bars and Im already close to several of the locals. It dead on top of the mountain located right on snowmobile trails and I built a 100 yard shooting range. Please ask me anything you want. 

• Like 1

I can help here. I was in desperate need for a slice of heaven to get me away from NJ for my 2 passions, atvs and shooting. I looked EVERYWHERE and had a small budget. NY is where its at. I have 10 square acres and it already had a cabin that wasnt finished. Had electric ran to it and brand new septic tank under a large outhouse. I paid only $15000! I dont have a well but I could actually live there with my water system. Its a perfect spot too as Im only 20 minutes above Pa and 10 minutes from several nice bars and Im already close to several of the locals. It dead on top of the mountain located right on snowmobile trails and I built a 100 yard shooting range. Please ask me anything you want. 

Thats very promising... but what about SAFE ACT?

Where's a good place to start looking?

I must be getting old. To me, indoor plumbing seems like something worth spending money on.

Why? Land is a great investmet if you can find a good deal like I did. Granted Ive spent almost what I bought the land for in improvement but I pay $500 a year in total taxes, and $30 month for electric. Tell me what vacation spot you can own for that? And when I sell it I could get all mt $ back and probably make a little. Its a GREAT hunting spot as it buts up to thousands of acres of state land and Ive seen everything from big bucks, bear, porcupine, to a mountain lion! 

Buy some land near me, we can be shooting buddies! Funny story, took my buddy up there. Went to kmart where he saw a realty book and says a coworker asked to grab him one. Well 2 weeks later the guy retired and moved 5 miles from my cabin!

Where? I'll buy an adjacent acre to keep yuppies out

Mine is in west Texas, where I am originally from. I have 750 acres, house, barn, 2 water wells.

Property taxes under $600/year.

I get out there 3-4 times a year, not nearly enough. Can't convince my Yankee wife to live out on the ranch, cause she's a city girl, but we are looking at living somewhere in Texas, closer to the ranch.

Place is paradise to me. Wife likes it, but is a little too remote for her.

• Like 1

HOA suck.   we have a house in Dingmans Ferry and once our house was built, we used to be able to shoot on some undeveloped land on the other side of the lake.  Soon after they passed a no discharge rule and then took away our ATV riding rights.   Once the residents complain, there goes ur freedoms.   F*ck the HOA!

I must be getting old. To me, indoor plumbing seems like something worth spending money on.

Seriously... who knew we had so many mountain men in NJ? Sheesh. I'm with you, Old Glock Guy... indoor plumbing is not "optional". 

• Like 1

Why? Land is a great investmet if you can find a good deal like I did. Granted Ive spent almost what I bought the land for in improvement but I pay $500 a year in total taxes, and $30 month for electric. Tell me what vacation spot you can own for that? And when I sell it I could get all mt $ back and probably make a little. Its a GREAT hunting spot as it buts up to thousands of acres of state land and Ive seen everything from big bucks, bear, porcupine, to a mountain lion! 

You must be a single guy, because even if you could get by without plumbing, your wife or GF would never tolerate it.