jm1827

Snow?

All ready here as well. Generator and snowblower have been run today. All vehicles checked for oil and fluid levels, tire pressure, etc.

Food, water, etc all set. Earlier this afternoon prepositioned my generator outside. Am using a "Gentent" to prctect it. Will see how it holds up to blizzard conditions. Put a full propane tank in the barbecue grill.

Plus various post Hurricane Sandy preps that are always at the ready should they ever be needed.

Yous guys pre salt the driveways and sidewalks or what?

I normally forget and do not. However, a short while ago I did in fact put some calcium cloride outside my front door and threshold to my garage door.

Pre-salting will be useless won't it?  Cold tonight at first but it will warm up and be fairly wet in the AM - that means the bottom layer will melt and get rid of the salt anyway... unless you're clearing every hour or two, there's really no point in pre-salting.

Professional28.jpg?RenditionId=9

My buddy at the equipment store had one Ariens Professional 32 left he actually had put away as they were already making the change to spring. Stopped to pick up a few spare parts as something always breaks at the wrong time. Needless to say made an offer I could not refuse and now we are really ready to tomorrow!

I have the 28" pro version, went through a foot and half of snow like butter.

I have the 28" pro version, went through a foot and half of snow like butter.

This snowblower is a beast.  Cleaned four properties today in a lot less time than it used to take.  Not to mention it throws snow damn near into the next county.  Glad I picked it up.  Old one was dying, this storm would have probably killed it. I was milking it to next season, happy he changed my mind.

Kind of thinking about a new one. Not that this old Ariens (1969) is a clunker, runs great but everything is getting worn out and sloppy and getting the sense its time, like something big is gonna break like the tranny or chain. Has its issues but nothing I cant resolve with carefull maintenance. Busted the belt yesterday and it was brand new maybe an hour on it yet the previous belt lasted 15-20 yrs. Was pissed, had to pull it backwards over 75' of sidewalk and then to the garage to work on it, tire chains didnt help. Threw the spare belt on and got another 15' down the sidewalk and busted a sheer pin in a hidden branch in the 2' of snow. I've had this machine for 30 yrs but have this weird sense of duty to keep it alive, if I get a new one will keep it going at my moms house and as a backup blower.

Well, from what I read all snowblower motors are made overseas, most in China.  Even the Honda is only assembled here, parts are from Thailand.   You get what you pay for and anything 1K or less pretty much is junk.  I had a 30 year old Craftsman before, but knew it was made by Ariens, so parts where still available but getting harder and harder to find.  This new Ariens was over 2K, but you can tell parts are either made to last longer or  easily replaceable.   Hopefully it will last, but I want to go south where you don't have to shovel any precipitation that falls, pump it maybe, but no shoveling.

I was actually between the Honda and Ariens, because they are both know for quality and durability, my only question was longevity. The Honda was quickly cut out of the list when I learned that the chute controls are electronic and motor powered from a plastic joystick.salt snow and water would have a field day with that More crap to break and expensive to fix. It's a nice option to have but even the Ariens manual controls are simple easy to use, and nothing to really break.