Sign in to follow this  
silverado427

duracoat

I have used duracoat several times. Its easy to mix and spray. Dries to touch in about 20mins and can be used after 24 hours or so. It continues to harden for a long time after. With duracoat or cerakote you need to blast the part with alum oxide to create micro fishers for the paint to adhere. For 1 rail your cost to DIY is going to be very high. If you find someone who sprays i already they may include with a batch they are already running for a considerable savings. If your in south Jersey Perfection Cleaning and Powder Coating 856-498-8063 (Mike) will probably cerakote it for far less than you can buy materials. 

For cerakote, look at Backwoods Custom Coatings, Savage Cerakote, or Tier 1. I've personally used Backwoods multiple times, and have had zero problems with him. Not everyone here shares my view on him. I've also heard great things about Savage and T1.

If you go Duracoat, I vote using the aerosol. You remove all oil and dirt w/ supplied degreaser, push a button on the bottom of the can so it mixes the hardener into the can, shake a few mins, and spray. I used it to redo an old break action single barrel shotgun I picked up from a gun shop in the south. It came out pretty good. As Son of Sam said, it dries enough to not smudge in 20 mins, dries enough to pick up and handle within 24 hrs, 48 hrs it can handle light abuse, and only gets stronger from there until it hits the completely cured time. The can is unusable within about 24 hrs, so if you plan on doing multiple things, make sure you're ready to do them all at once. I plan on getting a can of OD for a handgun frame, and then I'm going to start coating random things I'm bored with (ie: my phone case, pocket knives, ect.).

Great Job! I like the way you used the screws to minimize contact. I trust you got them in before the rain hit.

I also noticed your yard. I'll trade you my lawn for it!  :)  

Yup got it done by lunch time . As for the yard its my wife happy place .