Sign in to follow this  
Mrs. Peel

WhiteHouse.gov second amendment petitions

I'm posting this here, not the 2A lounge, so it gets ample views...

I know the new Whitehouse.gov webpage has been mentioned in a couple of threads... but did anyone notice that there's a "petition page"? People can list an issue, gather signatures and if there's enough signatures within a specified period the Whitehouse will (at least) give a reply to the original poster. It apparently also puts anyone who signed it on a mail list to get updates on that issue. Well, progressives haven't wasted any time creating petitions that show they want their LGBT and climate change pages returned to the website (I kid you not).

Interestingly, apparently some ambitious gun owner also made a petition to repeal the National Firearms Act of 1934 (NFA). Now, I'm still enough of a newbie that I lack the breadth and depth of knowledge that many of you have on firearm laws and the political strategy surrounding them. So, what say you, peanut gallery? Is this something people should be signing? It would seem to me the answer would be "yes" - if for no other reason than this >>> a hearty response to any petition like this would be a strong reminder to the administration that gun owners are eagerly awaiting action on the 2A issue. But, I'll leave it to the peanut gallery to debate/discuss before I (personally) do anything.

I like to "ponder" before I sign things... that's just me... I mean, does signing put us on a "list" for scrutiny by a later administration unfriendly to 2A...? (...gingerly removing tin foil hat now...)

Mrs. P.

UPDATES IN RED:

--- and here's the link to that specific petition btw: https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/repeal-nfa [This one garnered over 250k votes!]

Update: just putting all direction in 1 place... so you don't have to scroll the thread...

>>As poster "accline" pointed out, there's also a 2nd petition to repeal the 1986 Hughes Amendment to the NFA:  https://petitions.wh...ughes-amendment  

>> as poster "Upfitter21" let us know on 2/20, the first Hughes Amendment petition  (above) just missed the mark - but someone did another petition. If you want to sign, it's here:  https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/repeal-1986-hughs-ammendment-firearm-owners-protection-act

>>And as poster "lou" said, you MUST check your email afterwards and click on a provided link to make your signature register.

I'm posting this here, not the 2A lounge, so it gets ample views...

I know the new Whitehouse.gov webpage has been mentioned in a couple of threads... but did anyone notice that there's a "petition page"? People can list an issue, gather signatures and if there's enough signatures within a specified period the Whitehouse will (at least) give a reply to the original poster. It apparently also puts anyone who signed it on a mail list to get updates on that issue. Well, progressives haven't wasted any time creating petitions that show they want their LGBT and climate change pages returned to the website (I kid you not).

--- and here's the link to that specific petition btw: https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/repeal-nfa

Funny,,, It seems I was feeling a bit "dyslexic" this morning and thought it said, "Repeal NRA."  :D  I was ready to launch a decent tirade (i.e. "HOW CAN THEY REPEAL/REMOVE A PRIVATE ORGANIZATION????)... :D

• Like 1

Signed both. Recommend cross-posting the Whitehouse links on some gun groups' Facebook pages, etc. -- so if you belong to any, pls share. And maybe broader sites like Ammoland, etc.? If any of you have logins/passwords to other sites, pls pass along the links.

It ticks me off that the petition about him releasing his tax returns is at 100,000 signatures already... sheesh! We should at least be as determined as the people who would so love to strip our rights away, don't you think?

Done becaus NFA is ridiculous. However, NJ will just ban this stuff as they have.

I have no doubt if Trump takes steps, NJ will fight it and then have cases that end up in court eventually. However, the mix on the Supreme Court will be favorable... so isn't it worth getting the wheels in motion? Again, my knowledge of this stuff is still in the early stages. But... Trump being president does seem like an usually favorable moment in time for 2A. Might as well strike while the iron is hot, and then prepare for the inevitable long, hard slog as cases are filed and wind their way through the system.

I have no doubt if Trump takes steps, NJ will fight it and then have cases that end up in court eventually. However, the mix on the Supreme Court will be favorable... so isn't it worth getting the wheels in motion? Again, my knowledge of this stuff is still in the early stages. But... Trump being president does seem like an usually favorable moment in time for 2A. Might as well strike while the iron is hot, and then prepare for the inevitable long, hard slog as cases are filed and wind their way through the system.

I signed because I believe, whether or not it helps, voices should be heard. However, I don't see the court taking a case because someone in NJ wants a suppressor. If that were the case why wouldn't we have gone after the silly AWB before Scalia died?

Signed both. Recommend cross-posting the Whitehouse links on some gun groups' Facebook pages, etc. -- so if you belong to any, pls share. And maybe broader sites like Ammoland, etc.? If any of you have logins/passwords to other sites, pls pass along the links.

It ticks me off that the petition about him releasing his tax returns is at 100,000 signatures already... sheesh! We should at least be as determined as the people who would so love to strip our rights away, don't you think?

Give it time.

Marchers got the memo on Saturday. Our side spreads the word slowly. Especially since we are trying vacation mode from Hillary.

They'll never get enough without a widespread awareness put out. They got less than a month to get 100000 and only have a little over 1200.... Spread the word.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

They'll never get enough without a widespread awareness put out. They got less than a month to get 100000 and only have a little over 1200....

270,000 signed the petition asking that he immediately release the tax returns he had promised for so long.

270,000 signed the petition asking that he immediately release the tax returns he had promised for so long.

First, I'm stating that I don't think it will make it in time.

Just how is comparing apples to oranges make a difference? You really think the majority of this country gives a damn about the NFA? Most don't even know what it means but they do know what tax returns are. You forget we are just a minority and for the record, I did sign the damn thing. So tell me, what does the taxes have to do with it?

[emoji19]

So tell me, what does the taxes have to do with it?

[emoji19]

There's no link, I didn't intend to imply that there was. I only pointed it out because I think he should release them. If he had said from the early days of the campaign that he wouldn't, that would have been troubling on some level, but honest. Yesterday Conway said that now that he's in office, the release will never happen (but I see now that she is vacillating on that point, so who knows).

Hmm... on the back of my NRA card there's an 800 # for their lobbying group. So, what the heck... I just called them and spoke with a rep. I never assume people are aware of things they should be aware of. I asked "do you even know these petitions are on there? And wouldn't it be helpful if you plugged your members to sign these through your email alert system? Just to show the Whitehouse that there's a strong interest?" The guy I spoke to wasn't personally aware they existed, but he looked them up as we were on the phone and said he would pass it along.

I know some of you are cynical about the NRA --- I'm not (yet). So, let's see what happens. I made the specific point of saying, "even if your groups didn't generate the petitions, it would be smart to get behind them, just to strike while the iron is hot with this new administration." Now, who the hell is she... this guy might be thinking, LMAO. I don't know... but, if you don't ask, you don't receive. He seemed genuinely interested (unless it was feigned). Who knows?

Meanwhile, those links should be posted to NJ gun sites. Wouldn't it be nice not only to get 100,000 votes on each petition - but to see a whole slew of NJ residents? As far as I'm concerned, we should demonstrate to the Whitehouse a strong grassroots activism among gun owners, a group that arguably helped put Trump in office.

• Like 6

Hmm... on the back of my NRA card there's an 800 # for their lobbying group. So, what the heck... I just called them and spoke with a rep. I never assume people are aware of things they should be aware of. I asked "do you even know these petitions are on there? And wouldn't it be helpful if you plugged your members to sign these through your email alert system? Just to show the Whitehouse that there's a strong interest?" The guy I spoke to wasn't personally aware they existed, but he looked them up as we were on the phone and said he would pass it along.

I know some of you are cynical about the NRA --- I'm not (yet). So, let's see what happens. I made the specific point of saying, "even if your groups didn't generate the petitions, it would be smart to get behind them, just to strike while the iron is hot with this new administration." Now, who the hell is she... this guy might be thinking, LMAO. I don't know... but, if you don't ask, you don't receive. He seemed genuinely interested (unless it was feigned). Who knows?

Meanwhile, those links should be posted to NJ gun sites. Wouldn't it be nice not only to get 100,000 votes on each petition - but to see a whole slew of NJ residents? As far as I'm concerned, we should demonstrate to the Whitehouse a strong grassroots activism among gun owners, a group that arguably helped put Trump in office.

Maybe a march on D.C. I wonder what the mainstream media would make of us?