Sign in to follow this  
HBecwithFn7

Status of Bass Pro & Cabela's Merger

Mods feel free to move this to a more appropriate sub-forum.

Anyone know the status of the Bass Pro / Cabela's merger? I read in a different forum that it might be "floundering" and may not survive. That wouldn't bother me so much, as long as Cabela's survives. I'm very much a Cabela's guy.  Bass Pro... not so much.

I ask, because it was also mentioned that Gander Mountain may be headed towards bankruptcy... not good.

Reuters - Gander Mountain may be headed towards bankruptcy...

Latest I heard was the Cabelas buy out by Bass Pro is falling apart. Capital One no longer wants the banking business owned by Cabelas but cannot drop out because it will kill the merger.  Cabelas is suffering from expansion expenses as well as poor sales from expansion into other non core areas thought to shore up the core business.  Bass Pro's liberal stance does not sit well with their customer base and they continue to resist pricing pressure from other smaller retailers.  Gander Mountain is following a similar business plan that is just not making it.  

Any further delays in the Cabelas Bass Pro merger will kill the deal.  I would prefer this, but Cabelas' family no longer have an interest in running the business so that is not good.  Always hated Bass Pro policies and business practices so I really do not care what happens to them.  Gander Mountain as well, not a big fan, but policies are better than BP. 

Last summer's slow market saw Cabelas  run with some very aggressive sales and shipping deals to shore up one side of their core business.  Good for us.  However the world's greatest gun salesman has now moved on and this part of the sporting goods market is tanking again. What's to happen is more pricing pressures to stimulate cash flow. Very good for us, bad for the industry.  The pendulum is now beginning to swing the other way.  Interesting times ahead.

• Like 1

I just casually mentioned to takeover to 3 employees at the Christiana store today. All 3 of them giggled and said that dream is about gone..   Must say though that place was hopping today.   NRA Days.  Charity fundraiser for the Murdered DE Corrections Officers Family.  Parking was overflowing into the Mall parking lot.

Latest I heard was the Cabelas buy out by Bass Pro is falling apart. Capital One no longer wants the banking business owned by Cabelas but cannot drop out because it will kill the merger.  Cabelas is suffering from expansion expenses as well as poor sales from expansion into other non core areas thought to shore up the core business.  Bass Pro's liberal stance does not sit well with their customer base and they continue to resist pricing pressure from other smaller retailers.  Gander Mountain is following a similar business plan that is just not making it.  

Any further delays in the Cabelas Bass Pro merger will kill the deal.  I would prefer this, but Cabelas' family no longer have an interest in running the business so that is not good.  Always hated Bass Pro policies and business practices so I really do not care what happens to them.  Gander Mountain as well, not a big fan, but policies are better than BP. 

Last summer's slow market saw Cabelas  run with some very aggressive sales and shipping deals to shore up one side of their core business.  Good for us.  However the world's greatest gun salesman has now moved on and this part of the sporting goods market is tanking again. What's to happen is more pricing pressures to stimulate cash flow. Very good for us, bad for the industry.  The pendulum is now beginning to swing the other way.  Interesting times ahead.

Yeah, I'm a Cabela's guy m'self.  I'm not big on Bass Pro.  It sucks that the Cabela family doesn't want to be as involved in the day-to-day anymore, but I guess with Dick Cabela gone now, things might be different for them.  I hope they don't just survive, but thrive.

The only nice thing about Gander is that they had those FOF simulation classes with the machines.  I would have liked to try those...

Does anyone know about the Bass Pro Shop that was supposed to be built in Sayreville? Has that project been stopped?

It's not mentioned on their website as "Under Construction" or "Opening Soon."  Although I did see other URLs regarding the company that's doing the construction for it, All I saw was "ground breaking." 

I honestly don't see it happening. 

I heard from a Dicks manager, Sayerville BPS should be open this coming summer. He's leaving Dicks for Bass Pro Shop. 

I'd be a lot easier to drive to sayerville than hamburg pa, So I'm for the merger.  I'm a Cabelas man myself. Gotten some good ammo deals.    

Haven't been in Bass Pro Shop so look forward to it.

I heard from a Dicks manager, Sayerville BPS should be open this coming summer. He's leaving Dicks for Bass Pro Shop. 

I'd be a lot easier to drive to sayerville than hamburg pa, So I'm for the merger.  I'm a Cabelas man myself. Gotten some good ammo deals.    

It all comes down to someone figuring-out that the entire project is being built next to the County Shit Plant.  The anchor stores are worried that the condos won't sell after folks get a whiff, lol!  This ain't no Pier Village, it's a PIPE DREAM!  Who is gonna drop 2 grand a month to live next to a Shit Plant AND have to put-up with the traffic nightmare they have planned?

It's March!  If you think a building is going-up in time for summer opening, I have a bridge in Brooklyn for sale, lol!

I live just 2 miles away & I have to keep my windows closed during the summer!  Imagine living ON TOP OF IT!!!!!!!!!!!

From the NYTimes Real Estate section:

"By mid-2017, the complex is to have its own highway interchange, which will provide 12 on- and off-ramps for the adjacent Garden State Parkway and U.S. 9 and Route 35 nearby."

"The interchange is being constructed at a cost of $85 million, $15 million of which is being paid by the developer and the remainder by the state."

Thank heavens the great state of NJ voted "yes" on Question 2 so we can fund this cluster**** right on top of an existing traffic bottleneck.  :banghead:

Don't plan on seeing good ammo deals from BPS, they do not exist.  BPS management is not particularly 2A friendly..

That merger might not happen since gander just filed for bankruptcy. It might cause a monopoly and they are looking at it with more scrutiny now

Would it matter, though? That is, if it was Cabela's that sought the merger and they're told they can't for monopoly reasons, what alternative would they have but to shut down (if they can't sustain themselves), yielding a monopoly anyway??? 

If Cabela's can thrive on their own (and I hope they can and do), then they wouldn't need to merge.   But I'm gathering that Cabela's sought it... that it wasn't a "hostile takeover..."   But I could be wrong... :dontknow: