Family1st

Frustrated finding a range.

Hello,

Does anyone know of a Range near Somerset 08873. Preferably 100yd's or more.  

The closest I can find is TTC in Flemington. Which is a nice place but it gets costly.

Only other options seem to be Cherry Hill or NJR14.  Both wich are +1hr away.

Thanks for your time and any ideas.  

Welcome to the forum.

Private ranges would be SCFGPA (Somerset County Fish & Game Protective Association) in Bridgewater. Not sure if they are accepting new members nor what it costs. They have an indoor, 25 yd range and an underground 100 yard range. Monthly IDPA matches on the indoor range (one being held a week from today -  2/19) - club membership not required.

Jump on I-78 West and cross the river into freedom. EFGA (Easton Fish & Game Association is about 5 miles from the first exit off I-78 in PA. Cost is $50 per year. Have a number of ranges including a 100 yd rifle range and there is talk of adding a 200 yd range. A bit of a hike, but an easy drive and a real bargain. They hold 3-gun matches spring thru fall - club membership not required.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

100yd will be tough unless you join Old bridge. about 35 min from Somerset but kinda expensive if you don't shoot a lot.

Im a member of EFGA. not bad for the price of membership. They have 100 Yard and are in process of building 200yd. from Somerset its probably 1hr ride but thats the average for anywhere for us CNJ shooters 

Welcome to the forum.

Private ranges would be SCFGPA (Somerset County Fish & Game Protective Association) in Bridgewater. Not sure if they are accepting new members nor what it costs. They have an indoor, 25 yd range and an underground 100 yard range. Monthly IDPA matches on the indoor range (one being held a week from today -  2/19) - club membership not required.

SCFGPA annual renewals are $214 with tax, though you can do a work day (4 hours or so) and knock $50 off of that.  I'm not sure what the initiation fee is.  They're not currently accepting members, but I don't know if they are maintaining a waiting list.

They have a nice outdoor archery range in addition to the 25 yard indoor and 100 yard underground rifle range.   The 100 yard range is LOUD, but burying two long concrete pipes was the best they could do once the neighborhood got too build up for outdoor shooting.   You can only shoot from the bench on the 100 yard range--no provision for position shooting. 

Thanks, SCFGPA would be ideal, I'm a helper at heart, and would enjoy work days, opportunity's to help out around the range. I'd prefer joining a club, for this reason.

Unfortunately they're not accepting new members. And being I don't know anyone in the club, seems like  along shot.  Then again these are my favorite shots lol  I am on the waiting list.   Theyre the perfect distance too. I'd be at the range every week. :)

Guess thats where I get frustrated is the distance, time / vrs price. If its an hour away Im not going to be able to make it as often as i like. 

I think I'll reach back out, via email to SCFGPA say hello, 

Stopped in Heritage Guild of Branchburg last week, they said they're still working on building a range. This would be great, although prob only going to be 30yds. But heck won't hear me complaining. 

Thanks again. 

just like last time, i'll post up when membership opens again and i'll be willing to "introduce" someone.

something tells me when the range remodel gets going full swing we're going to have some membership attrition, so I'd expect another round of membership coming in 2018 possibly.

Fam -  you may want to stop by the club next Sunday during the IDPA match. Some of the participants are members there. Match starts at 11:45 and will run until probably 4:00. There will be people there from 11;00 on. Bring your eyes & ears.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

PS: If you're real good we'll let you set-up and/or tear down - you can also tape targets. LOL

check out 

https://unionhillgunclub.com/

Looks like it will be a great place. I'm in somerset and am a member of SCFGPA. Honestly, I like the club, and will remain a member because it is so close but it needs to be updated. With other options like RTSP, which actually has working heat/AC, a pro shop and nice bays, I only go to SCFGPA a few times a year. TTC is expensive but it is a nice new club with a 40 yard range.

SCFGPA membership is closed at this time.  There may or may not be a new member opening again this year but they are going with referrals only - you have to know someone who is a member to allow you the chance to join.  You will also need a NRA Recognized safety course (First steps) to be completed as a prerequisite.

Old Bridge Rifle and Pistol club is $564 per year -- You have the option to do 12 hours max of paid work hours at $15 per hour which they will take off the $564

It's hard to get work hours -- notification comes by way of email from the club and usually happen on saturdays -- they accept a limited # of members per work day depending on what needs to be done

I'm in middlesex borough and its a 30 minute drive each way --  add traffic on rt 18 and travel time could easily double

I'm a member of SCFGPA and live in Somerset too...the club is bare bones but cheap so I maintain the membership.

The drive to Ft. Dix is about an hour for us and they have 200yd. Not sure the cost, I think it's like $60 per year and a few bucks per hour

I have not been to the Heritage Guild in Branchburg in quite a long time. They are planning to build a range? Is it going to be right there next to the store, or somewhere else? I may have to go out there sometime soon to take a look around. I bought my S&W M&P 40 Pro there about 4 years ago. It is a really great gun. I also like going to the Garden State Shooting Center in Lakewood to use their range. It is a very good range, very clean, well lit, all the target carriers actually work to go downrange & back, as well as fully functioning ventilation system. 

Pizza Bob, Sota: Thanks for the heads up. Apologize for missing it.  Really appreciate the heads up.  I saw on the website they're updating the range. Hopefully it will open the books. :)  

Chris: Cherry Hill does have reasonable rates.  I have to check it out.  

1bren: I believe its going to be where the store is, they're def in the process of getting it approved.  I picked up my 10/22TD from them. Guys are real nice, easy to talk to.  Prices are what you expect to find in NJ :0  

Thanks all for the great info, If I missed anyone my apologies.  will check back after I get little more sleep.  Body's still adjusting to being among the living. lol  Work nights.  that reminds me

HeavyOpp I work at Schifano in Middlesex.  Glad to see so many local ppl on here. 

I've got it from a very reliable source the SCFGPA is shutting down pretty soon for a much needed rebuild/upgrade --  should be nice when it's done...

Indoor range will be upgraded, yes.  Ventilation system, new backstop, possible moving target system...

Whiskey: Love the pic. Am I understanding the site rignt? USCR only open to public on certain sundays after you go through safety orientation, and pay fee.

I see where I was splitting hairs lol 

In my mind I'm thinking membership, as after completing I'd be a member / no longer public..lol   Sometime I scare myself. lol  Sorry if I confused anyone. lol  

Shocker: Your in Somerset to, hell we might now each other. lol  Specially with your avatar. That's my kind of music. Actually got to meet n hang with them for a little. Tailgating at PNC, band was hanging out in a baby pool, handing out shots of Jack.  Good Ol days. I'm thinking of checking out the Ft Dix Range.  Price is great. 

I see a number of SCGFPA members here, would love the opportunity to get to know yas, Let yas get to know me.  My hearts set on joining.  Regarding the upgrades, how are they going about the work?  Are they looking for volunteers?  I'm a jack of trades and welcome donating time / tools to improve the range.  We actually just got laid off for a few weeks. Which sounds worst than it is.  Actually worked 2 months more than normal this season.  Road construction / paving. Its during this time I start swinging a hammer, sliding a trowel again. lol  

I see a number of SCGFPA members here, would love the opportunity to get to know yas, Let yas get to know me.  My hearts set on joining.  Regarding the upgrades, how are they going about the work?  Are they looking for volunteers?  I'm a jack of trades and welcome donating time / tools to improve the range.  We actually just got laid off for a few weeks. Which sounds worst than it is.  Actually worked 2 months more than normal this season.  Road construction / paving. Its during this time I start swinging a hammer, sliding a trowel again. lol  

They're looking for licensed contracting companies to do the work, since there are a lot of codes and such they need to abide by.

I'm in the same boat. Live in union county and there's no range close by for pistol or rifle.

Middle of nowhere when it comes to ranges. I'm 30 minutes from GFH and RTSP, but anything worth bringing a long gun is much further. Old Bridge, Cherry Ridge and EFGA are all about an hour. I'd love to join somewhere but I wouldn't make the trip often enough to justify the expense.

There's also Union County Sheriff's Range. Not terribly convenient and only open certain Sundays, but may be worth it for $20-30/year if you plan your visits out.

http://ucnj.org/sheriff/rifle-and-pistol-range/

I'm so close I can hear it from my deck. It's, as it's name implies, a police training range that is open to the public on a very limited basis. The fee is for the ID card that shows you've been to the safety briefing. IIRC there's a bullseye league that has the place one night a week and they are open weekends in spring, summer and fall. I go boating most weekends for those months so I'm not around when it's open.

I've gotta say, I work in Middlesex and the options from there seem a lot better.