Porthole

Low 200's Springfield Garand restoration stock refinish

I have a low 6 digit Springfield M1 that sometime in the past the stock was varnished.

Any recommendations on reliable overall service shops and stock refinishers? I would like to have the rifle inspected strip and the original stock back to the way it should be. I am also considering replacing the stock and keep the orignal just 'because'.

My original stock also has some bedding compound on the inside. Don't know why or when that was done. Best I can tell the rifle may have gone through CMP at one time, it looks like a CMP cartouche on the stock.

M1_Garand_01_zps4e50310f.jpg

Its easy enough to do yourself. The CMP forum will have tons of info on how to restore the stock. But basically you need to get all the metal off the stock. Then strip the varnish off (if it is varnish denatured alcohol will work, if it is poly based you will need a different product). Once it is stripped down to the wood just treat the wood with Linseed or Tung oil. I do not recommend paying someone, half the fun is finding out how to, then doing it yourself. Just my 2 cents. Good luck.

I would like to see some more pics, barrel date? I have a few Lend Lease early 6 digits. Are internals correct. I have a GHS sanded stock xtra.

I've had the rifle for some time now, probably shoots better then I can. I don't recall what the muzzle and throat numbers were, but when I checked they were pretty good.

Some of the stuff I got with the rifle. Bayonet too, but not original to the rifle.

M1_Garand_accessories_01_zps2zotuwha.jpg

M1_Garand_accessories_02_zpswjfwgslw.jpg

M1_Garand_accessories_03_zpsihxkbxd0.jpg

M1_Garand_accessories_04_zpsp0poe4zw.jpg

M1_Garand_books_01_zpszp3siqam.jpg

M1_Garand_books_02_zpsfwc9a0vt.jpg

Cool M1.

I would try BLO.

Your stock looks varnished. I would try denatured alcohol to strip and BLO to refinish. It is VERY forgiving. Nothing like polyurethane. I don't think it's possible to screw it up. Plus, you can apply new oil every so often to clean up the wood.

Just be careful.. dispose of your rags properly!!! It can self ignite after sitting.

Lately I just use my hands, but I used to use paper towels. I always burned them or stored them in a sealed ammo can.

• Like 1