Haddoncoach

Miller's Gun Center - New Castle,DE

Anyone had any experience with Miller's in DE? A friend of mine bought his Browning Citori there a few years back and another buddy bought a Stoeger semi-auto earlier this year. I was shopping in Cabelas over the weekend and one of the employees actually sent me there! What a great experience. I took his advice and introduced myself to Mr. Miller. He could not have been nicer. He showed me a variety of guns and I shouldered everything he offered. As you may have guessed I picked up the Browning Citori 725 Sporting with 30" barrels. I added a breakdown case for protection. Mr Miller insisted that l practice taking down and putting it together several times under his watch before I took it home - much appreciated. With the tax free DE purchase , the price was very competitive with the online prices I have seen - but this came with an actual person helping me. What great service. I am a customer and recommend a visit when you are down that way.

• Like 2

Miller's has good and bad points.

Before Cabela's was open they were the only show in town and acted like they knew that. You got ignored a lot. I had a particular guy I dealt with and he recognized me so after some time I was ok. Once cabelas opened they lost the majority of their traffic. They seem more helpful now. I was in there Saturday to drop off a pistol for a transfer.

Now one main problem is when delaware state senate was voting on universal background checks the owner testified that they are needed. Of course he charges a fee.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just wanted to update this thread - I stopped in at Miller’s (DE) on the 31st - it is like a ghost town.  Maybe 25-30 guns in the whole store!  Spoke with Mr. Miller, I bought my Browning 725 from him - he said he was losing business to people buying online (noting new) but gave an example of someone who priced a gun with him, bought it online for $15 less and then had it deliver to his store so he could do the transfer!  If we don’t support our local shops - yes, I know his shop is in Delaware - they won’t be there much longer.

16 minutes ago, Haddoncoach said:

Just wanted to update this thread - I stopped in at Miller’s (DE) on the 31st - it is like a ghost town.  Maybe 25-30 guns in the whole store!  Spoke with Mr. Miller, I bought my Browning 725 from him - he said he was losing business to people buying online (noting new) but gave an example of someone who priced a gun with him, bought it online for $15 less and then had it deliver to his store so he could do the transfer!  If we don’t support our local shops - yes, I know his shop is in Delaware - they won’t be there much longer.

When the local shop doesn't support us........we are relieved of any duty to support them.

• Like 3
  • Agree 5

I gladly do transfers for $20. No money to put out and all profit. It gets people in the door for the stuff that makes me money, ie ammo and accessories. Besides, guns are only marked up at most 10%, where you can make 100% on a hot accessory. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Haddoncoach said:

If an anti gun business closes down, is it really a loss? Have not checked Delaware area forums but I am sure they lost a lot of gun guy and gal business with their support of anti gun legislation. The casual retail business was lost when Cabelas opened up. 

As Paul said, transfers are all profit and the margins on guns are exceptionally slim unless you are overpriced or catering to first time gun owners. 

Transfers are an opportunity for ffl to get a new body into the shop and sell high margin accessories and if they are smart... used guns. 

• Agree 2

From the Pennsylvanian forum back then:

http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=211636

From the Maryland forum back then:

https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=126895

And comments from the locals:

https://www.yelp.com/biz/millers-gun-center-inc-new-castle

• Agree 1

Its good that you feel you did good. But that said Millers is hot and cold. Cold being the norm mostly.   That being said, I bought my first 2 brownings there. In the early 80s.    Others have posted info and I will give you my experience from 2 years ago.   Went with a friend to Millers, He bought a Remington 1100 competition $1200.00 out the door.  2 weeks later his Nephew bought one from Cabelas in Christiana  1199.00 out the door.  I shot my friends 1100 a few times and decided to buy one.  848.00 delivered to my FFL 3 blocks away from Buds online.

Key is what the customer is happy with is what matters.  But when you through in the political stances that matters more.   For example  The Delaware issue and here in NJ Bobs in Glassboro with his anti carry beliefs.       

All that said You got yourself a great O/U that will last many many years..

20 hours ago, Maksim said:

As Paul said, transfers are all profit and the margins on guns are exceptionally slim unless you are overpriced or catering to first time gun owners.  

Transfers are NOT all profit. 

But agree it helps get people in the door who did not know you existed

19 hours ago, W2MC said:

From the Pennsylvanian forum back then:

http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=211636

From the Maryland forum back then:

https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=126895

And comments from the locals:

https://www.yelp.com/biz/millers-gun-center-inc-new-castle

Not surprising at all.   As i said in the past... there are anti's who own gun stores..  Shit just read the interviews they give and you can pick out whos who :)

1 hour ago, remixer said:

Your not even serious 

do I have to explain the costs of running a business? 

*You're

1. Carrier drops off gun.

2. You log in gun.

3. You call customer.

4. Customer comes in fills out 4473.

5. You do NICS check.

6. You take their money.

7. You give receipt to transfee.

Even a monkey can do that. I don't get what your expense is other than time. You'd do that anyway for a sale.

• Agree 2

2 minutes ago, PK90 said:

*You're

1. Carrier drops off gun.

2. You log in gun.

3. You call customer.

4. Customer comes in fills out 4473.

5. You do NICS check.

6. You take their money.

7. You give receipt to transfee.

Even a monkey can do that. I don't get what your expense is other than time. You'd do that anyway for a sale.

I guess dealers do that in a public park and if its evening they use candle light.

Shocking that i have to explain expenses like electricity, rent, internet, telephone,  insurance and of course time  to someone who owns a business.

• Haha 1
  • Crazy 1

All business has overhead.  Electric, phone, rent, etc.

But, if you get transfer business that you weren't otherwise going to get, that transfer is profit 100% as compared to not getting the transfer business at all.  Half empty or half full?

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, remixer said:

I guess dealers do that in a public park and if its evening they use candle light.

Shocking that i have to explain expenses like electricity, rent, internet, telephone,  insurance and of course time  to someone who owns a business.

Steve,

It is however 100% sales income with 100% profit margins. 

You take your overhead anyway, whether you have sales or not.

Yes, it does take time and you can take that into account... however your "electricity, rent, internet, telephone,  insurance" are fixed expenses that will be there whether you make sales or not.

Revenue - Cost of Goods sold = Gross Profit

Gross Profit - Expenses = net income

Transfers go straight into Gross Profit... there is no cost of goods sold associated with them.  That is what he meant and most people mean.   But you are smart and know this... you are just being a stickler. 

45 minutes ago, maintenanceguy said:

All business has overhead.  Electric, phone, rent, etc.

But, if you get transfer business that you weren't otherwise going to get, that transfer is profit 100% as compared to not getting the transfer business at all.  Half empty or half full?

Keep in mind, EVERY customer that visits @remixer shop leaves HAPPY.... That ENDING result costs money. =P

• Informative 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Sniper said:

Is he Asian?

10 minutes ago, Zeke said:

No.

but isn’t @Maksim funny today. 

I always bring my wife to @remixer .... to purchase guns!

Heh? You are the guys with the sick minds. 

I just added some emphasis on his business value proposition. 

I was always happy with my visits. I am sure that at the end, it costs him money. :facepalm: 

Why, what is a happy ending? 

• FacePalm 1

9 minutes ago, Maksim said:

Heh? You are the guys with the sick minds. 

I just added some emphasis on his business value proposition. 

I was always happy with my visits. I am sure that at the end, it costs him money. :facepalm: 

Why, what is a happy ending? 

Is this a jeopardy question?

On 1/1/2019 at 1:48 PM, Maksim said:

A La Caso's gun O rama in Jersey City.