124gr9mm

Light recommendation for my Glock 17?

Any recommendations for a light to add to my (stock) gen4 Glock 17?

I'm looking for something that's not bulky and won't break the bank.  I don't need a red dot or anything fancy, just something that would light up a potential target.

I've seen the Streamlight TLR-3 mentioned a lot:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001T7GZQQ/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=30TTVA1QW1UFD&coliid=IQ7H0BVFICO2L

Does anyone have experience with that one or other lights under $100?

Thanks!

Why not just get a good high power hand held light?  Do you really want to be pointing the gun at things and people you might not want to shoot just to identify what they are?  Also do you want to give a bad guy a nice bright target to shoot at as opposed to holding the light away from your body?  All things to consider.

Why not just get a good high power hand held light?  Do you really want to be pointing the gun at things and people you might not want to shoot just to identify what they are?  Also do you want to give a bad guy a nice bright target to shoot at as opposed to holding the light away from your body?  All things to consider.

Thanks for the feedback.

Yes, I've considered many different options and I've decided on adding a light to the gun.

• Like 1

I only buy Surefires. To me, they're simply the best. Expensive, but worth every penny. I have both weapons mounted and hand held Surefire lights, and all of them simply work, are bright as fuck, and tough. You can throw them into a brick wall, and they'd probably still work.

• Like 1

Any recommendations for a light to add to my (stock) gen4 Glock 17?

I'm looking for something that's not bulky and won't break the bank.  I don't need a red dot or anything fancy, just something that would light up a potential target.

I've seen the Streamlight TLR-3 mentioned a lot:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001T7GZQQ/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=30TTVA1QW1UFD&coliid=IQ7H0BVFICO2L

Does anyone have experience with that one or other lights under $100?

Thanks!

TLR3 output is too low IMO. The TLR1 is where I would start. Many people get concerned about having too much light but the only time output is an issue is when the light is pointed at you. Personally, I use Surefire X300Us exclusively. I used to use Streamlight TLR1 lights but their non-weaponlight lines have all flickered on me in the past which makes me a little nervous about their products in general.

Personally, I'd do both. A handheld is great for identifying things without muzzling them. As for the light making you a target, it's not really a concern. 150 lumens or more to the face makes effective aimed fire nearly impossible.

I am a fan of the TLR-1s I have. I like how wide the beam is while still giving a good central spot. As for best money (is no object) can buy, no idea there.

And wash from that TLR1 is more than bright enough to at least light up a room enough to ID someone while muzzle is nowhere near aimed at them, for me anyway. Might be different if you dont have a lot of light colored surfaces though.

X300U with DG11 switch is the current "A" answer in my opinion.

Yes, a good handheld light should be employed in addition to a weapon light. Both should be available to you. Handheld for admin tasks, WML for fighting. I keep a FourSevens Quark in my left front pants pocket at all times. I also keep a SF X300U mounted to the Glock in my holster at all times.

There are multiple techniques you can use to search both large and small areas with a WML without ever actually pointing your weapon at someone that doesn't deserve it. Additionally, some things should have guns pointed at them as you attempt to acquire and identify a threat prior to dealing with it. Now, I don't know about you, but I shoot much better with two hands on the gun rather than one on the gun and the other holding a handheld light. If you are searching with a handheld and you have to go loud, that's one thing. But, don't limit yourself. Drop the damn hand held, and get two hands on the gun and go to work.

Did you ever try to shoot and move in low light using a handheld light? Its hard. Add a moving target and its even harder. Trying to aim two independent things (hand held light and a gun) at a moving target that has the potential to kill you, is distracting to say the least. Having a WML lets you aim the gun and the light together, increasing your chances of tracking the target and getting hits where you want them.

Finally, not using a weapon light because you are afraid to "give your location away to bad guys" or "give bad guys a target to shoot at" is silly. What would you do under daylight conditions? Are you granted a cloak of invisibility when the lights are on or the sun is up? No you are not. Is your body not something that will give your location away or give bad guys something to shoot at?

Use the same tactics, techniques, and procedures for the proper use of cover and concealment day or night. Do not rely on darkness. Shadows don't stop bullets. Hard cover does. Learn to identify positions of advantage and use them.

Get a WML. Get a hand held. Get trained. Learn how and when​ to use both.

• Like 1

Holding the light and aiming is going to be tough - I know - I've done it in IDPA competitions.  A gun mounted light is much easier.  Also - a bright enough light, you can reflect off the floor or wall and see the person without aiming directly.  

I recommend the Streamlight TLR-1 or TLR-1S.