dahle44

You are approved by NICS and purchase rifle,then 4 days later get a phone call saying its denied and need to return gun. Now what?

You are approved by NICS and purchase a rifle,then 4 days later get a phone call saying its denied and need to return the gun to the store. Now what do I do?​ Last gun my husband bought from the same place several months ago he got called by the state police because the Gun shop dealer had put a incorrect number in. Could this have happened again with me?

Thanks guys-it is just wierd that this is the second time this Gun shop (Herritage) screwed up!

Howz Jeff Foxworthy say it? There's your sign! Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

After 3 days of waiting on nics, arent you allowed to go pick up your firearm without getting an approved or denied? Sounds like a lawyer situation to me. Legally through the loophole or whatever you wanna call it, the firearm should be yours. They're probably trying to cover their ass.

"There is a three-day business limit – the time you have to conduct a background check. At the end of three days the person wanting to buy the gun can come back and buy it. Whether or not the background check is complete. Whether or not the records from local and federal law enforcement have arrived on your computer. "

http://www.factcheck.org/2016/02/clintons-charleston-loophole-claim/

Get a lawyer!

I had a similar situation last year.

Guy buys a gun.. i get an approval then next day it goes to Delay then Denied.

NJSP told me to call the customer and have them return the gun... I'm assuming if he did not he would ave been visited.

After 3 days of waiting on nics, arent you allowed to go pick up your firearm without getting an approved or denied? Sounds like a lawyer situation to me. Legally through the loophole or whatever you wanna call it, the firearm should be yours. They're probably trying to cover their ass.

"There is a three-day business limit – the time you have to conduct a background check. At the end of three days the person wanting to buy the gun can come back and buy it. Whether or not the background check is complete. Whether or not the records from local and federal law enforcement have arrived on your computer. "

Get a lawyer!

After 3 days the dealer can release the firearm at their discretion, Most will not.

LOL...that would be interesting!

Ummm.. Personally i would not tell them you sold it.   Do you really want a visit from the NJSP? 

I guess it comes down to why the denial.  Was it a mistake... Did the dealer give you a nics appeal form?

It sounds like you need to frequent another dealer...one who pays attention to detail.  Once is a simple mistake, but twice is careless. 

I'm curious as to what number the state police wanted in that call.

Another question is did something change in the Op's status since his last purchase?

Nics does make mistakes even on the federal level. I had a call a few months back from a guy who lived in another state and passed nic's for a few purchases.

then moves to NJ and gets a visit from the ATF.. Apparently he should never have passed Nics.  At least the ATF gave him the option for them to drop off the guns at a dealer to sell instead of confiscating them.

Get a lawyer!

We purchased the gun on Saturday afternoon- the NICS response was delayed-so it was approved first thing Monday and that's when the gun was picked up. Then they called us last night(Thursday) saying it was denied-and that the gun needed to come back!

My suggestions:

1. Return the guns.

2. Look at 4473 and write down the NICS Transaction Number that was given to the dealer when they did the check.

3. Ask the dealer for any documentation for whom called from NICS for the denial. (they may not have any).

4. Ask the dealer for an NICS Appeal package. If none, at least get a phone number.

5. Ask the dealer to hold onto your guns until you resolve issue.

6. Follow this up, and keep dealer informed of progress periodically.

Sent from an undisclosed location

• Like 1

My suggestions:

1. Return the guns.

2. Look at 4473 and write down the NICS Transaction Number that was given to the dealer when they did the check.

3. Ask the dealer for any documentation for whom called from NICS for the denial. (they may not have any).

4. Ask the dealer for an NICS Appeal package. If none, at least get a phone number.

5. Ask the dealer to hold onto your guns until you resolve issue.

6. Follow this up, and keep dealer informed of progress periodically.

Sent from an undisclosed location

I think the Nics appeal takes less then 2 weeks.

We purchased the gun on Saturday afternoon- the NICS response was delayed-so it was approved first thing Monday and that's when the gun was picked up. Then they called us last night(Thursday) saying it was denied-and that the gun needed to come back!

On another note. its very possible the delay changed to approval then deny (Nics Mistake).

On the first purchase it was delayed at well?